Simple, Yet Effective, AV Solution

I

illumination

Gnosis said:
I am leaning toward Avira and Comodo right now.
I have already used Avira in the past, so maybe I will try Comodo. Maybe I will go on and get the suite just to try it out.
I am looking for security for two of my older friends that are inexperienced users. While I would usually choose Avast, I don't want them to have to re-register it, so I am thinking along the lines of BullGuard, ZoneAlarm, or CIS.
Hmmm. Would any of those three be ok for inexperienced users as long as I left them at factory default and used gaming mode??? How about CIS? (free, I assume)

After installing on my older system, i had one auto sandbox from a game i installed it did not recognize, other then this, it has been silent. My 14 year old son, who is by far a novice, has been using this system to do his surfing and gaming, with no issues what so ever as well. I have also placed the full CIS on a retired "65+" year old mans computer "complete Novice", and he has been using it a long time with no issues, and a clean system, as i check every so often with on-demands to ease his mind, that the "free" solution is working for him. :)

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Try Bullguard.You won't regret it.BullGuard has developed into an excellent product.
They license Commtouch, and Secunia, along with Agnitum as a firewall.
Also BullGuard support is top-notch.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nedim said:
Try Bullguard.You won't regret it.BullGuard has developed into an excellent product.

Don't forget also that its engine are also integrated from Bitdefender ;) unless if its changed already.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I can hook you up with some 6 month Avira Premium Security Suite and or Avira Antivirus premium licenses if you want to try them out.

I really appreciate the offer but even if a typically paid suite is offered free of charge, I prefer to be able to install and forget, as in a lifetime license.
But +10 for looking out. :)

After installing on my older system, i had one auto sandbox from a game i installed it did not recognize, other then this, it has been silent. My 14 year old son, who is by far a novice, has been using this system to do his surfing and gaming, with no issues what so ever as well. I have also placed the full CIS on a retired "65+" year old mans computer "complete Novice", and he has been using it a long time with no issues, and a clean system, as i check every so often with on-demands to ease his mind, that the "free" solution is working for him.

I am leaning heavily toward CIS, now that you have told me this. I have always wanted to try it anyway.
If not, I shall go with Avira Free + Comodo Firewall

What about ZoneAlarm? I heard it has a Kaspersky engine. Anyone tried it?

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Nedim said:

Don't forget also that its engine are also integrated from Bitdefender ;) unless if its changed already.

Sure...I think that's well known fact.
BitDefender is good but generally it does bogs down a system.It also affects my internet speed.All of this seems absent from BullGuard.
That's just my experience.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Gnosis said:
Avira? Zonealarm? Bullguard?
I am not concerned with HIPS, BB, sandboxing on this particular PC.

Look like people are suggesting tons of software without minding the choice of OP.
That is why I think sometimes we are mentioned as fanboy

Back to the topic:
Between 3 which are mentioned by you,avira is lighter without any doubt.Its user friendly and have great detection too ( I myself used it for long time)
Most Important you can enjoy Internet security version of avira as license is offered by exterminator to you already.

Thanks

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis said:
I usually only use this PC for email and printing said email. I don't open spam either.

Yesterday, I forgot something. If you are using the PC only for Emails, if you are using an EMail client like Outlook Express, it would behoove you to set emails to open as text files.

For me, it was easy to get used to opening mails as text files. Before SBIE, I always had the AV not set to scan Outlook Express and never got infected, even after I started using SBIE, it took me a while to start sandboxing OE. Opening EMails as text files makes you safer.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you really want simple and effective you can not do better then MSE (windows Defender on Win8) and Windows firewall.

As long as you always watch what you download, where you browse and what you install, you should be safe.

CIS and Sandboxie are far from being simple, ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus plus firewall is also excellent but not so simple since it has behavior blocker (DefenseNet).

BitDefender Free and paid is full of bugs as noted by many users.

Avira Free is also a good option minus the toolbar.

Panda Cloud, Avast and FortiClient Lite are also pretty simple.

Enjoy!!:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
BitDefender Free and paid is full of bugs as noted by many users.

Heard that. Already had my first rodeo with BIS, but I won't bash them. It was one man's experience, nothing more. I will never used them again though, except for how Bitdefender manifests in HitMan Pro.

@Bo

Like what you said about Sandboxing OE. Makes a ton of sense. OE is a ###%T#$#$^%@!!!

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I am old fashioned, I like OE. Opening EMails as text files is a good practice. You ll never get a virus in your system if you run OE sandboxed and open mails as text files.

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Thank you EVERYONE for all of your magnificent input. Your support and knowledge has given me a really clear head pertinent to this matter.
It has been really fun and informative.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for all the help.
I could have easily used Avira Free, or MSE for my needs.
That said, I chose CIS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.