Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
simplewall.png

Description

Simple tool (firewall) to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which can configure network activity on your computer.

Features
  • Simple interface without annoying pop ups
  • Dropped packets logging (Windows 7 and above)
  • Internal blocking lists (malware, telemetry)
  • Free and open source
  • Localization support
  • IPv4/IPv6 support
You can download either the installer or portable version. For correct working, need administrator rights.

Portable mode
To activate portable mode, create simplewall.ini in application folder, or move it from %APPDATA%\Henry++\simplewall.

Download: Releases · henrypp/simplewall · GitHub

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
@shmu26, Hi, here is several differences:
1) simplewall is open source, completely free, fast and lean.
2) simplewall does not have any heuristic functional to save computer resources, hoping for user knows what do he need to be allowed or blocked.
3) simplewall working without interact with Windows Firewall and does not change any system settings, it works with Vista+ engine, who controls system network requests, named Windows Filtering Platform (WFP).
4) do not know WFC does have ability to create user custom rules, but simplewall does.

Last edited:

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
New beta:
simplewall v2.0.5b (30 August 2017)
simplewall
Download
Changelog
sha256 checksum
* added proxy support (win8 and above only)
* added indication for inbound connections for all (when stealth-mode enabled)
* added group for special rules (rules applied for apps)
* added apps list selection indication
* changed experimental settings mark into "for experts only"
* removed process list menu icons
* improved retrieving file path by handle
* improved notifications ui
* updated project sdk
* fixed ui bugs
* fixed bugs

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Any idea if it can auto allow signed software? I will test later but that would help me move the process a bit.

EDIT: It doesn't. Very similar to tinywall but it seems lighter and with the extra feature of ip blocklist of some sort.

Last edited:

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
Any idea if it can auto allow signed software? I will test later but that would help me move the process a bit.
I can add this optional feature, in future, but not all signed binaries really need to internet access & any script-kiddie can self-sign binary, so then next step to valid signnature and program may loss execution speed.

Peoples, like this post if you are need this feature, to know how peoples need this.

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
I can add this optional feature, in future, but not all signed binaries really need to internet access & any script-kiddie can self-sign binary, so then next step to valid signnature and program may loss execution speed.

Peoples, like this post if you are need this feature, to know how peoples need this.
I don't like it but in case you implement that feature make it optional and off by default. Please.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

It's mainly for convenience because the chance of having real signed malware it's really low for the average user when on the other hand applications auto updating daily with different names is more often(see dropbox for example). Now the signature validation doesn't seem to be a problem when i use another program that does it and cpu usage remains the same. Maybe on the low low end systems you may notice it(doubt it) but i guess if you do you can then disable it.

Mr.X

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
New beta:
simplewall v2.0.6b (11 September 2017)
simplewall
Download
Changelog
sha256 checksum
  • added signature checking for apps
  • added set default language as in system
  • changed default listview colors
  • updated project sdk
  • fixed allowed apps cannot recieve any data from network (when stealth-mode enabled)
  • fixed retrieving nt path for reparse point files (issue #59)
  • fixed update checking not working on some systems
  • fixed bugs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.