TinyWall
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I tried WFC, but it blocks Windows updates without showing a notification, I don't know if other Windows services will be blocked too.
At least in SW it shows notification for every connection, and you can enable Windows updates and store apps from the settings so they will work properly.
It also occasionally blocks the windows antimalware service, among other random things without telling you, and you won't find out unless you check the recently blocked connections.
Anyway, a good firewall acts completely automated in the background, not putting any decisions on you. You just can't have that with Windows Firewall.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
It also occasionally blocks the windows antimalware service, among other random things without telling you, and you won't find out unless you check the recently blocked connections.
Anyway, a good firewall acts completely automated in the background, not putting any decisions on you. You just can't achieve that with Windows Firewall.
Another case, why do you think that is an general issue for every user of WFC?

Here on my systems (PC, two laptops) WFC doesn't block Windows Antimalware Service nor other things if that is whitelisted/allowed for outbound connections.

log.png

Any chance you would inform the WFC developer about that issue, unless you did that already?

Last edited:

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Another case, why do you think that is an general issue for every user of WFC?

Here on my systems (PC, two laptops) WFC doesn't block Windows Antimalware Service nor other things if that is whitelisted/allowed for outbound connections.

View attachment 283659

Any chance you would inform the WFC developer about that issue, unless you did that already?
There's issues because the software has issues.
It shows the "recently blocked connections", you need to be lucky to check shortly after it happens. If some amount of time passes, it disappears. Only if you check regularly you may notice it.

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Don't get me wrong, my intention is no personal attack, but that sounds not like a software issue, otherwise WFC wouldn't work properly for other users, I guess rather misconfiguration on your system or whatever reason... 🤔

You wrote earlier in post #17 "I tried WFC, but it blocks Windows updates without showing a notification ..." that sounds or can be misinterpreted that WFC as software would break Windows updates in general for all users, but that isn't true because the WFC developer is highly respected among the userbase of WFC, he would fix such major issues, not to mention Malwarebytes as company 😉
Maybe it is my fault, because I didn't explain the issue clearly, and I didn't take screenshots to make finding solutions easier.

I'm not an expert with firewalls in general, and I'm here to learn from experts like you and others in the forum.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I've used quite a few firewalls over the years, but Fort Firewall is the one I've really stuck with. It's reliable, straightforward, and doesn't compromise on security. That's what matters most to me. Before this, I've been using WFC - Windows Firewall Control. I have to say, it's been excellent. The interface is clean and intuitive, and it does a great job without any unnecessary complications. Interestingly, it was Glasswire that first got me interested in external firewalls. It made me realize just how much network activity goes on in the background. After that, the basic Windows firewall just didn't cut it anymore.

As for the others, Simplewall was by far the easiest to set up. It's perfect if you want something simple and quick. Tinywall, on the other hand, is my least favorite. It' just didn't stick out for me. I understand some people prefer that, but I need a bit more functionality. Then there's Comodo and PortMaster. They offer an incredible amount of customization, which is great if you need that level of control. But for me? It's overkill. I don't need to tweak every single setting to feel secure.

Last edited:

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Fort firewall , :)

I've used quite a few firewalls over the years, but Fort Firewall is the one I've really stuck with. It's reliable, straightforward, and doesn't compromise on security. That's what matters most to me. Before this, I've been using WFC - Windows Firewall Control. I have to say, it's been excellent. The interface is clean and intuitive, and it does a great job without any unnecessary complications. Interestingly, it was Glasswire that first got me interested in external firewalls. It made me realize just how much network activity goes on in the background. After that, the basic Windows firewall just didn't cut it anymore.

As for the others, Simplewall was by far the easiest to set up. It's perfect if you want something simple and quick. Tinywall, on the other hand, is my least favorite. It' just didn't stick out for me. I understand some people prefer that, but I need a bit more functionality. Then there's Comodo and PortMaster. They offer an incredible amount of customization, which is great if you need that level of control. But for me? It's overkill. I don't need to tweak every single setting to feel secure.
Ok guys, can you explain me why Fort Firewall is better than Comodo and the other?
I don't try to create controversy but only to understand.

Reactions: lokamoka820

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Firewall is definitely not better than other firewalls and lacks many (important for most) features.

I think, @jackuars explained it very well above. Fort Firewall is lightweight and reliable on what it does.
Thank you for your reply.
Maybe "better" was not the right word but with the table you've posted I can understand what are the differencies with other softwares.
Indeed "different" is the right word...

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I like WFC even though I use CF most of the time. My favourite way to start WFC is delete all the rules and import WFC recommended and then create rules but that's just to get rid of all the extra default allow rules ;)

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
I like WFC even though I use CF most of the time. My favourite way to start WFC is delete all the rules and import WFC recommended and then create rules but that's just to get rid of all the extra default allow rules ;)
Nice tip, thank you.

Reactions: ErzCrz

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
The real deal with Comodo are the extra features that it has.
Like containment, virusscope, etc...
Other firewall have the same capabilities?

Reactions: lokamoka820

lokamoka820

Level 4
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
The real deal with Comodo are the extra features that it has.
Like containment, virusscope, etc...
Other firewall have the same capabilities?
I don't think that other firewall can beat Comodo when it comes to features, but it all depends on the user needs, some are looking for simplicity for example.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.