SkyboundSteven's Config

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Since I am very exposed to malwares, I need to review my setup.
If any, which setting should I modify?

On AFAV(Avast Free Antivirus), I disabled DeepScreen because once it scans something, my computer would halt or get Division by Zero(and BSOD) or all the programs I open afterward would freeze.
(With Googol GLaDOS Simulator, it BSOD'd and with some other Delphi-based programs, the system would freeze and I would have to press Reset.)

---
A random tip:
On older versions of Google Chrome, or recent versions with little or no protection, when you think you're infected with malwares, go to Extensions, enable Developer Mode, and browse to the folder of that unknown extension that you never installed.
Using file shredder (sometimes some of those malwares self-duplicate and would place itself on different location to obfuscate security programs.), shred the folder of issue.
Restart your browser, and everything will be fine.

Reactions: LAGUN

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Vista, TweakUAC.
http://www.winability.com/tweak-uac/

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 come with a built-in UAC control panel that lets you reduce the amount of UAC messages shown. You can use that Control Panel instead of Tweak UAC, if you prefer. Or, use TweakUAC if you find its way of handling UAC settings better. It’s all up to you!​

Reactions: Oxygen

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
mmm Vista... I prefer w8 or w7.

But it's ok config

If you want you can add some "On-demand Scanners" like Hitmanpro, malwarebytes, herdprotect

I never use UAC because its so #####ing heavy

Reactions: SkyboundSteven

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
For Vista, TweakUAC.
http://www.winability.com/tweak-uac/

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 come with a built-in UAC control panel that lets you reduce the amount of UAC messages shown. You can use that Control Panel instead of Tweak UAC, if you prefer. Or, use TweakUAC if you find its way of handling UAC settings better. It’s all up to you!​
I guess I am upgrading to Windows 7 in a meantime!

Never notify (Disable UAC) <-- why this ?
It was interfering with some of my freshly-brewed installers, and sometimes it would end up with BSOD.

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
why not 8.1u1 ?
8.1 = Lack of compatibility of some software (compatibility mode doesn't work as intended and would slow down system too much)
^ That especially includes Cinema 4D!!!
Lack of games fully supported in that OS
Photoshop CS5 refused to work with it. Somehow.
Too frequent BSOD with some antivirus solutions
Annoying "Metro" interface that I don't like

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would make sure that when you upgrade to Windows 7 you enable UAC. Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: SkyboundSteven

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.