Slimjet Browser Suggestions

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
This is the first time I am using Slimjet browser. I like this browser. Good options & customizations.
Currently using Slimjet portable.

I have changed few options so need to know if any will break sites.

Options changed---

1. Enable WebRTC - Unchecked
2. Disable reading from HTML5 canvas - Checked
3. Send a "Do Not Track" request with your browser traffic - Checked
4. Block social network javascript on third-party websites - Checked
5. Block Google ads on third-party websites - Checked
6. Replace indirect links in search engine results with direct link to original site - Checked
7. Content Settings - Images - Play gif animation - Unchecked.

Other options---

1. Block cross-domain HTTP referrer - I left this unchecked as help files mention "This option might affect the proper operation of some web sites which checks for referrer between different domains. If it causes problem for you, you should disable this option." - What you say?

2. How safe is Slimjet password manager & quickfill form filler?

3. Is it good, stable & safe to install as main browser?

4. Does it includes Adobe Flash or needs plugin to be installed?

5. Is there an option to not show "Download" tab on YouTube?

6. For video/audio download it downloads ffmpeg. Guess for Slimjet portable ffmpeg will be portable & in the Slimjet portable folder & for installed Slimjet version ffmpeg will be installed on the system & in the Slimjet folder in program files 86, right?

7. Any other suggestions & customizations?

Last edited by a moderator:

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Re: Slimjet password manager - if it has a master password protection it's probably safe, if not, use a proper password manager.
This browser is pretty much the same thing as Chrome. It's developer is a Texas based fellow and has been tweaking browsers for several years.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It mention master password, generate password, encryption, etc... but dont know how safe is it? What encryption it uses, etc...?
Its like Chrome but does provide some good options & customizations.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @yesnoo, your question addresses the password subject which for many browsers I've considered & wondered over too.:confused: I went to the Slimjet browser forum, and found 5 threads you might find :eek:eye opening http://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/search.php?keywords=passwords&fid[0]=5

As I use more than one browser, and have read how in-browser password security (in general) falls somewhat short, in a word (actually 2 words joined together to make one catchy name) I prefer LastPass for it's strong encryption security and ease of use which make it among my core extensions/apps. We've used both.:):)

Slimjet's updates include Adobe Flash Player, although they may not be the first ones out of the gate (imho) they do quite well keeping Slimjet amongst the most up to date Chromium browsers!:D

PS It's obvious, isn't it..?o_O I truly like Slimjet too! In fact, I've used the x86 portable for some time. After installing it on linux lubuntu, it never bothers me by asking if I'd like to make it my default, and yet it really has become my go to browser replacing both Chrome & Opera in every OS & Distros!:p
Edit: <sends> a salute @frogboy whose uplifting style from "Down Under" placed it on my systems & configurations!!:D:D:D

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
. How safe is Slimjet password manager & quickfill form filler?

3. Is it good, stable & safe to install as main browser?

1) Well usually password managers for browsers are good?but not a total habit because of possible vulnerabilities therefore better go for standalone PM which focuses very much on security and encryption.

2) Yes its safe to use and a main browser.

Actually they have same features but different engines

They are all web browser products from FlashPeak Inc but they are based on different engines. Slimjet is based on Blink engine (the engine behind Chrome from Google). SlimBrowser is based on Trident engine (the engine behind Internet Explorer from Microsoft). SlimBoat is based on the Qt-port of Webkit engine. The three browsers have a similar set of features. Slimjet is the most robust and stable of the three and is most suitable for people who prefer a simple and clean user interface. SlimBrowser is suitable for people who prefer an advanced user interface with as many options as possible. SlimBoat has the smallest memory footprint and run across multiple platforms but might have compatibility issues with a few web sites due to the QtWebkit engine. Slimjet is our top recommendation for Windows users.

www.slimjet.com/en/faq.php

3) Expect in Chromium browsers, an integrated Flash Player is include and all you need is update your browser regularly.

I think try to explore more on Slimjet to deactivate Youtube Downloader built in.

Downloading video/audio are same with files, you will be the one assigned which destination should be place.

Last edited:

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Slimjet has google's snooping turned off by default and adds some of its own security and convenience functions. While turning off html5 canvassing is a good idea, there's currently a bug where it breaks the toolbar icons' ability to change color, which is bad for lastpass, gmail notifier, ublock and others.

SJ usually is a couple of releases behind Chrome with the Chromium engine so the author can make sure nothing breaks. This can be a good thing, as it protected us from the recent "OK Google" fiasco.

Also coming up, built in ad-block, which should speed things up nicely.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
yeah that's why i think why sometimes slimjet page crash when i load gmail, try to read email or try to open hangout from gmail also happens in G+, if G+ crashed then gmail also crashed too.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Great browser, but has it's bugs which Chrome doesn't. Like on YouTube. I also don't think it's on the latest Blink engine so it's probably vulnerable to. Last I checked, it was on 42. Current is 43. Has both builds (x86 and x64) so if it fixed those problems, I'd be using it right now... hell I'd use it if he just simply fixed the YouTube problems like autoplay causing the tab to crash when it goes to the next video sometimes and comments loading slowly or not at all (which isn't a concern of mine, I hate YouTube comments. Full of crap like Google lol)

Regardless of it's smallish problems, it's (in my opinion), the best Blink engine browser out there currently. Not that stable on some sites like YouTube but faster and more secure/private. If I recall correctly, it sometimes fails to load pages. Had a few problems on this site with it. Anyone know if these problems are fixed yet?

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Haven't had page load problems, aside from the occasional youtube tab crash. SJ has intentionally skipped Chromium 43 because of the OK Google mess, and will leap directly to v 44 when the time is right, so things are a bit in suspended animation at the moment in that regard. As far as youtube comments, I haven't seen that problem. In fact, the comments don't load at all until I scroll down to them, which nicely speeds page loading. But I don't know if that's SJ or the Magic Actions extension at work.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
With the mentioned settings in my opening post the probs I have faced yet are---

Occasional crash - But good the tabs were restored fine.
LastPass icon - Colour is not changing - Paul B mentioned the reason in one of his post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
With the mentioned settings in my opening post the probs I have faced yet are---

Occasional crash - But good the tabs were restored fine.
LastPass icon - Colour is not changing - Paul B mentioned the reason in one of his post.
@yesnoo, did Paul B's post provide a solution?
Initially, I'd experienced some functionality/freezing I think may have been the result of former incompatibilities with Sandboxie, but these have all been ironed out.
I too have experienced unresponsive, or incomplete, log-in with the LastPass symbol not changing color!:confused: As I have slimjet set to open directly in "Incognito", what I then did in response was to log in with a regular (non-Incognito) window after which the color then turned red thus indicating the log on was successful. Best of all, everything worked as it should.:):)
*Note: if you are already using a normal window, perhaps reversing my suggestion (going into Incognito) might help. Another option may be uninstalling, and then re-installing LastPass once more.

Last edited:

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I haven't used incognito, but with the html5 canvassing setting I've had to log out and back in to LastPass to get the icon to work right.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I haven't used incognito, but with the html5 canvassing setting I've had to log out and back in to LastPass to get the icon to work right.
'This', keeping ones composure by logging out and then logging back in, is very likely the most effective and sensible corrective action. Thanks @Paul B. !:D

Reactions: frogboy

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
When i was using Slimjet never faced any of these problems.
Just once or twice just freezed for a second but that's it.
I guess i was lucky as @frogboy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.