Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
When I opened up Slimjet today, I clicked on the right hand side for restoring previous session, but it did not restore it. it just left me with a new tab. Then I noticed my extensions were gone. Much later, LastPass showed up, but the other extensions did not, including Session Buddy, which I was particularly anxious to see.

Surprisingly, my History is still intact. I think most of the Settings are the same. However, under "On startup", it had been changed from "Continue where you left off" to "Open the new tab page", and my default search engine had been changed from DuckDuckGo to Bing.

I knowthere's some Slimjet enthusiasts here, so maybe you can help.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use multiple Profiles, under SlimJet? Did SlimJet successfully close before system shutdown? When last has SlimJet crashed (ie Not Responding)?

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Do you use multiple Profiles, under SlimJet? Did SlimJet successfully close before system shutdown? When last has SlimJet crashed (ie Not Responding)?

I don't use multiple profiles.

The last closing with my extensions and the discovery of loss of extension both occurred in the current session. When I brought up Slimjet, I saw a little window at the upper right that said it didn't shut down properly previously and do I want to recover the tabs from last time. (It does this most of the time, with the prior shutdown having been initiated by me clicking out the X at the upper right corner and having been orderly as far as I could tell.) I clicked yes on that window and expected to see my previous tabs come back up. I was surprised when they didn't and when I saw the extensions were gone.

Another thing that happened is the printer icon and zoom icon and several others moved from the left of the URL bar to the right of it.

Why LastPass survived the wipeout is puzzling.

Unlike Maxthon and especially Firefox, I have not found Slimjet prone to crashes, i.e., shutdowns not initiated by me. I can't remember if there was one.

The Slimjet Application Data has a folder within called "recovery" with a couple of numbered sub-folders within it. The Slimjet folder has an Extensions subfolder which contains a 1 KB file named "external_extensions.json". Oh my. I just opened it with Free File Viewer, and all it says is:

// This json file will contain a list of extensions that will be included
// in the installer.

{
}

There are a lot of other Slimjet files, but that's where I'd most expect my extensions to be hiding.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Have you got the latest version of SlimJet? Mine is v12.0.11.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 (64-bit)

I have 14 extensions on the toolbar. No issue so far with my extensions.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
it happens sometimes with all browsers
- it can be due to your AV which blocks something or reverts something. Last time, KIS system rollback reverted a change in my browser and everything was broken -> had to delete the user data and create a new one
- it can be due to Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown & Enable AppContainer Lockdown + an external extension not downloaded from extension store & it is controlled by an application in your PC (like your AV controls its integrated extension) -> all my extensions were loaded very slowly and after 30s, they showed error -> created a new user data with those options enabled, everything worked again

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
- it can be due to your AV which blocks something or reverts something. Last time, KIS system rollback reverted a change in my browser and everything was broken -> had to delete the user data and create a new one

Does Kaspersky give you a lot of trouble? I ask because I'm planning on using it in the future.

- it can be due to Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown & Enable AppContainer Lockdown + an external extension not downloaded from extension store & it is controlled by an application in your PC (like your AV controls its integrated extension) -> all my extensions were loaded very slowly and after 30s, they showed error -> created a new user data with those options enabled, everything worked again

Can you tell me what Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown & Enable AppContainer Lockdown refer to?

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Does Kaspersky give you a lot of trouble? I ask because I'm planning on using it in the future.

Can you tell me what Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown & Enable AppContainer Lockdown refer to?
no it's not. It's because I visited a malicious link, KIS blocked it and prompted me to rollback the changes, I clicked yes and it happened. It's rare so you don't have to worry

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Good to hear.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Good to hear.

those are 2 options in "about:flags" in all chromium-based browsers to sandbox all the extensions and plugins to increase the security. It's recommended to be enabled by many people here. I have them enabled too
However sometimes it causes problems with external extensions (like IDM integration) but not always. I deleted all my user data and created a new one, reinstalled all extensions including the malfunctioned one and everything worked perfectly without problems

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
those are 2 options in "about:flags" in all chromium-based browsers to sandbox all the extensions and plugins to increase the security. It's recommended to be enabled by many people here. I have them enabled too
However sometimes it causes problems with external extensions (like IDM integration) but not always. I deleted all my user data and created a new one, reinstalled all extensions including the malfunctioned one and everything worked perfectly without problems

Never been to that page before in Slimjet. Those two options are disabled for me there, as are most of them. I'm wary of this at the top of the page:

Careful, these experiments may bite
WARNING These experimental features may change, break, or disappear at any time. We make absolutely no guarantees about what may happen if you turn one of these experiments on, and your browser may even spontaneously combust. Jokes aside, your browser may delete all your data, or your security and privacy could be compromised in unexpected ways. Any experiments you enable will be enabled for all users of this browser. Please proceed with caution.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Never been to that page before in Slimjet. Those two options are disabled for me there, as are most of them. I'm wary of this at the top of the page:
yes those are experimental features and should be disabled by default, may or may not be implemented in the future releases or reserved for advanced users who have enough resources to increase browsing speed
for example: Override software rendering list is completely safe and it has been there since the very beginning. It utilizes GPU power to increase browsing speed but when I tried it on an extremely weak laptop with an ancient intel GPU, youtube videos didn't show, only had sound. It works in all other cases and does noticeably increases speed

you can try some of those options which were proved to be safe and ignore the rest

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.