Slipstream's Configuration

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Why do you format and install OS every 3 months ? If you do lot of testing then a VM is ideal. Remember, you are increasing the chance of hard disk failure with frequent huge read/write to disk. If you own a SSD, then the chance of disk failure is accelerated.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
Why do you format and install OS every 3 months ? If you do lot of testing then a VM is ideal. Remember, you are increasing the chance of hard disk failure with frequent huge read/write to disk. If you own a SSD, then the chance of disk failure is accelerated.

I do it because I play with a lot of software and I'm pedantic, I like things to be clean. I never keep anything on my PC that matters, it all goes onto external drive or into cloud storage. I like to randomly try things on a whim and I change my mind a lot, that's just how I am.

As for reducing HDD lifespan, I learned the hard way many years ago about my habits killing my drives and because of this I always keep at least two new drives handy so I can swap them out should this happen. I'm addicted to installing operating systems, what can I say? lol.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
To elaborate on my addiction to trying operating systems; I know I can install VMs but I prefer to install a desktop OS to use as it was intended to be used, as a main OS. This way I can truly get a feel of the OS and whether or not the default drivers work with the hardware I have in my machine, etc.

Probably doesn't make sense to some but it works for me lol

Reactions: tonibalas
I

illumination

To elaborate on my addiction to trying operating systems; I know I can install VMs but I prefer to install a desktop OS to use as it was intended to be used, as a main OS. This way I can truly get a feel of the OS and whether or not the default drivers work with the hardware I have in my machine, etc.

Probably doesn't make sense to some but it works for me lol
will make you feel better here, as i have an old "retired" Acer laptop that i bet i had reformatted at least 250-300 times in 5 years doing exactly what you stated, keeping refreshed with the experience of installing from scratch.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very good configuration. :)

Optional suggestion: Even though you have CS Defense, the problematic USB's which may not sure if its contain viruses or not so likely add a USB protection like McShield. ;)

Does not provide conflicts with WD.

+ From Backup and Recovery, you are something similar to my comsci student where if there's problem on the PC then instead of diagnosing first; all sudden reformat. :D

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
Very good configuration. :)

Optional suggestion: Even though you have CS Defense, the problematic USB's which may not sure if its contain viruses or not so likely add a USB protection like McShield. ;)

Does not provide conflicts with WD.

+ From Backup and Recovery, you are something similar to my comsci student where if there's problem on the PC then instead of diagnosing first; all sudden reformat. :D

My offline storage has nothing in it but back up of Warcraft, photographs, family video, documents, etc. I rarely download anything that isn't from a legitimate vendors website anymore, gone are the days when I'd just download anything from anywhere lol.

I recently installed Windows 10 to give that a blast for a while, I liked it very much and I like the direction it is heading but even though I had no issues with it, it is still only a technical preview so I did a fresh install of 8.1 just because. Lol

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Slipstream. What I've derived, and enjoyed, most from reading your thoughts about your configuration is how much fun you seem to be having.:):p
You've a very straight forward set up, and that's nice too!:D
Thanks for sharing.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
i did tried the task on MSE, the problem is that MS has 1 or 2 updates a day so it's useless creating a task for every 30 minutes.

While the frequency of definition releases might be only a couple times a day, if at all, the time at which they are released is random. I set it for 30 minutes for two reasons; 1. I will have the updates installed automatically within half an hour of them being released and, 2. the task runs the cmd updater so it has virtually no impact on performance.

Keeping in mind Windows Defender is not seen as the greatest of security products by the security community in general, in my view, if you are going to use WD then it does pay to at least have any updates installed automatically as soon as possible.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
My suggestion is to add another browser preferably Mozilla based like Cyberfox in case you have a problem with Chrome.
Another suggestion i want to make is to add another on demand scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit ( free ) or HitmanPro ( paid ) in case MBAM missed something.
Very good config and thanks for sharing.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
While the frequency of definition releases might be only a couple times a day, if at all, the time at which they are released is random. I set it for 30 minutes for two reasons; 1. I will have the updates installed automatically within half an hour of them being released and, 2. the task runs the cmd updater so it has virtually no impact on performance.

Keeping in mind Windows Defender is not seen as the greatest of security products by the security community in general, in my view, if you are going to use WD then it does pay to at least have any updates installed automatically as soon as possible.
yeh maybe you are right, to catch the update as soon as it releas, when I used MSE I used to set it every 3 hours.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
Have you heard of HTTPSEverywhere? Maybe it will interest you. :)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your configuration!

Yes, I have and I am considering using it again :) Thanks for sharing!

My suggestion is to add another browser preferably Mozilla based like Cyberfox in case you have a problem with Chrome.
Another suggestion i want to make is to add another on demand scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit ( free ) or HitmanPro ( paid ) in case MBAM missed something.
Very good config and thanks for sharing.

Full disclosure; I was solely a Firefox user up until about a week ago. I have supported Firefox from teh beginning when it used to be called Phoenix. Unfortunately, even though the selection can be changed, I couldn't get past Firefox's deal with Yahoo! and the fact it helped resurrect the almost dead Yahoo shitbar plugin by allowing it by default. So, I made the switch to Chrome 64 in silent protest, and because 64 bit is inherently more secure than 32 bit out-of-the-box

yeh maybe you are right, to catch the update as soon as it releas, when I used MSE I used to set it every 3 hours.

3 hours is good, I know Avira Free has a set minimum of every 6 hours so 3 hours is perfectly fine. I guess I'm just overly paranoid :p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, I have and I am considering using it again :) Thanks for sharing!

Full disclosure; I was solely a Firefox user up until about a week ago. I have supported Firefox from teh beginning when it used to be called Phoenix. Unfortunately, even though the selection can be changed, I couldn't get past Firefox's deal with Yahoo! and the fact it helped resurrect the almost dead Yahoo shitbar plugin by allowing it by default. So, I made the switch to Chrome 64 in silent protest, and because 64 bit is inherently more secure than 32 bit out-of-the-box

3 hours is good, I know Avira Free has a set minimum of every 6 hours so 3 hours is perfectly fine. I guess I'm just overly paranoid :p

@Slipstream , if haven't already blocked 3rd party cookies in Chrome,
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> There, mark the box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  • Additionally, I prefer to mark the circle "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
*Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito" but remember, for the extensions such as HTTPS Everywhere, do check the boxes in order to allow extensions you wish to use in incognito.

Reactions: Slipstream

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.