Slow boot time with Bitdefender AV 2014 + Emsisoft Online Armor Premium 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello Jasonx!

I really do not know how I did it correctly, removing the Wallet Service, and preventing it from running EVER again, without causing any error in BD.

I remember turning it off via BD's main menu, then unchecking it either on HiJackFree (a free component from Emsisoft Emergency Kit - a free product), or RegSeeker. You don't have to disable its registry.

About OA, the latest build is fast and superior compared to version 6. I am using a slow netbook but OA only added some few seconds to my boot time.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Hello Jasonx!

I really do not know how I did it correctly, removing the Wallet Service, and preventing it from running EVER again, without causing any error in BD.

I remember turning it off via BD's main menu, then unchecking it either on HiJackFree (a free component from Emsisoft Emergency Kit - a free product), or RegSeeker. You don't have to disable its registry.

About OA, the latest build is fast and superior compared to version 6. I am using a slow netbook but OA only added some few seconds to my boot time.

This is interesting as I have also a license of BitDefender (well the IS) and am planning to use it soon.

@ifacedown
Can you post a picture of your start-up items like that of the OP?

The OP is using Emsisoft Online Armor Premium which is very good and will detect all necessary start-up autorun items "IF" you do not exclude them at first. As I have read a lengthy post of the OP, it was a mistake to exclude the C:\Program Files\BitDefender folder in Online Armor Premium after he installed BD. Knowing that he, un-excluded it thus the OP was able to block all items in the Programs /Autoruns tab settings. Do you mean to say that OA Premium does not see it all unlike HijackFree?

I have EAM and Emsisoft Online Armor Premium so I have HiJackFree. I see that in the Autoruns of OA Premum it has more listed there than HijackFree. See images below.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
This is interesting as I have also a license of BitDefender (well the IS) and am planning to use it soon.

@ifacedown
Can you post a picture of your start-up items like that of the OP?

The OP is using Emsisoft Online Armor Premium which is very good and will detect all necessary start-up autorun items "IF" you do not exclude them at first. As I have read a lengthy post of the OP, it was a mistake to exclude the C:\Program Files\BitDefender folder in Online Armor Premium after he installed BD. Knowing that he, un-excluded it thus the OP was able to block all items in the Programs /Autoruns tab settings. Do you mean to say that OA Premium does not see it all unlike HijackFree?

I have EAM and Emsisoft Online Armor Premium so I have HiJackFree. I see that in the Autoruns of OA Premum it has more listed there than HijackFree. See images below.

Hello,,,

I would like to help, but I am afraid this time I can't.

I did grab the 9-months giveaway of BD IS, but after a week uninstalled it, it so heavy on the system, and has very large definition files. I am so sorry, but I could not provide the screenshot for it. My point too is that I was able to disable Wallet from starting without deleting its registry. BUT... I had BD without OA with it. That is because I was trying the BitDefender Internet Security (which includes firewall) and not BD AV.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Originally posted by ifacedown March 30, 2014
I am using a netbook, and suffred slow bootups, because of that Wallet. After disabling it, you should also disable its startup processes. I don't remember exactly how I disabled it. I think I used Emsisoft's HiJack Free, Autoruns, or CCleaner.

Originally posted by ifacedown

Hello Jasonx!

About OA, the latest build is fast and...

@ifacedown,

You mentioned that you have successfully prevented Wallet Service from ever running again yet you do not remember how did you do it? I have posted a question about HiJackFree entries as compared to Emsisoft Online Armor Premium Autoruns and it shows that OA has more entries detected in it's tab as compared to HJFree.

You unchecked what in HJFree? I find it odd there for you to not remember what you have tinkered since you have used a lot of tools there..(Well anyway we all are getting old :)).

...Emsisoft's HiJack Free, Autoruns, or CCleaner.

...HiJackFree (a free component from Emsisoft Emergency Kit - a free product), or RegSeeker

As to RegSeeker, it's is a tool to tinker with the registry(registry cleaner). I used to have that from 2009-2010 but never really liked it. To the advanced user it'll be helpfull but it has no "automatic restore function." You'll need to find the saved .reg file and click on it to restore your Registry. This may not be a good tool to use as I find it too agressive and less informative. It offered no assistance in determining which of the errors needs to be deleted. For a novice user or beginner or someone whose not familiar with the registry this may not be a good tool to use. As the OP has some issue finding what seems to be "really" hidden somewhere, this tool may not be safe for him. It took SifhX to see and help the OP on it but it had some errors also.

Originally posted by HAN http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=343655

I use RegScanner once in a while. In my experience, it is a user controlled, manual search tool for the registry. If ran carefully by users who have a decent knowledge of the registry, it is a excellent product.

RegSeeker, IMO, is not something I would ever consider using. It finds so much stuff and makes its decisions automatically (or at least encourages/guides the user to use it that way.) For anyone who knows little about how a computer works, I consider it at least worrisome to use and in extreme cases, dangerous to use.

So to jasonX, I'd advise to ditch Bitdefender AV 2014 if you can't take the minutes added to the boot speed. I see that it is the only issue you have been encountering. That's small as compared to those who have used the Bitdefender Internet Security. Almost 80% I think have mentioned slowdown in their system and in using the internet. Not just the start-up boot speed. Well of course it varies on each system..

Mentioned previosuly I got interested and have a BitDefender IS license so I may install BD IS on a spare partition and see what it's like really. If I am successfull in installing it the goal is to disable the Wallet Service that's the culprit in the OP's post. I'll post when I have begun maybe next week.

Why don't you try Avast free + OA? or Avira free with OA or when your subscription runs out CIS with either of the freeware AV's around. You need not use paid AV or firewall. Just my two cents :) Goodluck dude and thanks for the post's here at MT.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
@ifacedown,

You mentioned that you have successfully prevented Wallet Service from ever running again yet you do not remember how did you do it? I have posted a question about HiJackFree entries as compared to Emsisoft Online Armor Premium Autoruns and it shows that OA has more entries detected in it's tab as compared to HJFree.

You unchecked what in HJFree? I find it odd there for you to not remember what you have tinkered since you have used a lot of tools there..(Well anyway we all are getting old :)).

As to RegSeeker, it's is a tool to tinker with the registry(registry cleaner). I used to have that from 2009-2010 but never really liked it. To the advanced user it'll be helpfull but it has no "automatic restore function." You'll need to find the saved .reg file and click on it to restore your Registry. This may not be a good tool to use as I find it too agressive and less informative. It offered no assistance in determining which of the errors needs to be deleted. For a novice user or beginner or someone whose not familiar with the registry this may not be a good tool to use. As the OP has some issue finding what seems to be "really" hidden somewhere, this tool may not be safe for him. It took SifhX to see and help the OP on it but it had some errors also.

So to jasonX, I'd advise to ditch Bitdefender AV 2014 if you can't take the minutes added to the boot speed. I see that it is the only issue you have been encountering. That's small as compared to those who have used the Bitdefender Internet Security. Almost 80% I think have mentioned slowdown in their system and in using the internet. Not just the start-up boot speed. Well of course it varies on each system..

Mentioned previosuly I got interested and have a BitDefender IS license so I may install BD IS on a spare partition and see what it's like really. If I am successfull in installing it the goal is to disable the Wallet Service that's the culprit in the OP's post. I'll post when I have begun maybe next week.

Why don't you try Avast free + OA? or Avira free with OA or when your subscription runs out CIS with either of the freeware AV's around. You need not use paid AV or firewall. Just my two cents :) Goodluck dude and thanks for the post's here at MT.

Probably not CCleaner.. maybe HiJackFree or AutoRuns (a seperate standalone program)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
The OP has posted his AutoRuns image. Can you locate it there in his posted image? Might help him out. Reply #12. Mentioned he found entries via Autoruns there....

jflkNZn.png

Last edited:

Mirabela

Level 1
Apr 7, 2014
Yes Umbra I agree with that.
I wanted t ask in BD forums but it seems that they will not return from sleeping for a whole year.

Hello, Jason,
Sorry if you couldn’t reach us and also sorry for the late reply. We are available via website chat (here http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html ) or via email address bitsy at bitdefender . As we can see from what you describe here, the best way to help you (and give you a correct and complete response) is if you use one of this contact forms and send us more details. It would be perfect if you could gather some logs that will allow us to better understand what’s happening on your PC and provide a solution. You can follow the steps from this article: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log-1168.html
We are waiting for your email. Thank you!
Mirabela from Bitdefender

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.