Slow boot time with Bitdefender AV 2014 + Emsisoft Online Armor Premium 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Have just installed BD AV 2014 alongside OA Premium earlier this week and one thing I have noticed that the boot time suffered from 30 seconds to 1+minutes! Checking it I see that there is the Bitdefender Wallet application that is starting up eventhough I have disabled it. Please see images attached. I have managed to limit the start-up from 1+ minutes to a measely 56sec by delaying the BD Wallet application 120sec from startup.

Is there anything that I can do to improve the boot speed? I have placed exclusions for both Emsisoft's and BD but it's still the same.

I'd like also to ask if someone here knows how to backup BD settings? Is it possible to export/import settings in BD AV 2014..?

1JbYiBG.png

MVOnfyo.png

R8scovA.png

I have read somewhere (cannot remember though) that you can do a custom install with BD, how can I do with this install? Is it advisable to uninstall completely and then re-install or I can just run the installer and select custom-install? Anyone..?

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I am using a netbook, and suffred slow bootups, because of that Wallet. After disabling it, you should also disable its startup processes. I don't remember exactly how I disabled it. I think I used Emsisoft's HiJack Free, Autoruns, or CCleaner.

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
I spoke too soon about the custom install there...apparently the custom install option that BD gives is only the change of it's location installation folder. Nothing more! I should have done a system image prior uinstall. Also running the installer with BD installed can't be as a pop-up will ask you to remove the installed BD first (so it's only an installer-only really). This behavior is like Eset's custom install.

O6w6nYt.png

@ifacedown,

Yes in CCleaner there is this way to disable/delete startup items. I did that previously and deleted the entry for the BD Wallet application. It still started when I rebooted.

oGYnElJ.png

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Back here to update.

I adjusted the 120sec I did for BD Wallet Application delay to 220sec and the boot speed improved from 56 to 25sec. See images below.

JVQPN7i.png

iZQKyoL.png

NvvUfUO.png

I could not find anything else to do at the moment. The msconfig entry for BD Wallet Application does not exist.

8OQABWO.png

Still observing here.

Reactions: Ink

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Just updated BD. After product update and reboot the boot speed was at 57sec. :(

fduAlzb.png

SDU6jYF.png

msT3jGN.png

tSvpRWu.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A product update probably resets any changed settings, this is not uncommon.

Could Online Armor help block any start-up changes?

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
A product update probably resets any changed settings, this is not uncommon.

Could Online Armor help block any start-up changes?

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out later and report back here.

D

Deleted member 178

also OA is known to slow a bit the system at boot; but it is the price for its advanced security.

Reactions: jasonX

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
New
also OA is known to slow a bit the system at boot; but it is the price for its advanced security.

Yes Umbra I agree with that. That was the observation when I shifted to it Comodo ver5.12. Well the partition I am using BD with OA Premium previously had Emsisoft IS (as we all know EAM+OA). That combo is great including the delay of about 4sec from an Eset NOD32 + OA Premium..but I never went as far as above 30sec. If I remember right this partition was 21-23sec fastest and 28-30sec slowest(When I used EAM + OA). BD seems to have taken up the boot time. The same partition / the same contents. BD just ate up the time. I set it more to delay-start at 260sec when I got the 52sec but it was not enough.

kCkluN8.png

9uMLFzY.png

I wanted to block the wallet application with OA but I am at a loss as to where is it and what is it? I can't seem to find it in C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender.

I wanted t ask in BD forums but it seems that they will not return from sleeping for a whole year.

PS:

Have opened-up a ticket with Bitdefender Customer Support earlier. I will update here whatever the response or help I can get from them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

it is surely a process, try finding it via task manager or Process Hacker

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to check and see with Process Hacker. If I still can't see maybe I can post it here so you guys can take a look at it. :)

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
Had a look with Process Hacker and I saw these running. See image below.

8TbE3Te.png

Bitdefender Password Manager Agent
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe

Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe

I also used AutoRuns and have found 2 items. See image below.

oi1sruw.png

I unchecked both and restarted but it was still slow(even slower). Seems to have no effect...

Now when I installed BD I excluded the BD in OA Premium. This time I un-exclude BD and now I see the processes of BD in OA Premium. (A while ago I was wondering why I cannot see "Bitdefender Password Manager Agent" and "Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent" in OA but Process Hacker sees it).

I tried to block the "bdapppassmgr.exe" -- Bitdefender Application Password Manager Agent in Autoruns of OA. But it even got slower. Went up to 1 min 4 sec.

PamiakI.png

So I blocked the items below in OA>Programs

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pwdmanui.exe
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe

The result improved at 46sec.

1CFLVRf.png

Now I thought to block all permissions of "pwdmanui.exe" / "pmbxag.exe" / "bdapppassmgr.exe" in the Advanced options of OA. Improved a bit from 46sec to 44sec. I do not know if this "is" an improvement or no effect at all....

dxeWpLx.png

Now checking Glary Ultities Startup Manager I see still the Startup items for Bitdefender Wallet Application present. I deleted that and rebooted. When I checked Glary StartUp Manager it was still there. I ran CCleaner and NirSoft's WhatsinStartup but the BD Wallet application is not present.

LUSUdM3.png

gASj4V8.png

Now I decided to use a different timer (BootRacer / BootTimer) but when I used both it made the system boot speed more darn slower and clocked at 2.20minutes! Removing both applications the system somehow normalized but in the range of 53-57sec.

It was then that I noticed right-clicking the BD icon in the tray gave me nothing (seemed to freeze or stop running) and the system froze. I restarted and BD did not run at all. I had to restart.

TSE2TqB.png

Incidentally when BD seemed to be freezing I started MBAM v2 and I got this error!

PxebqXd.png

:(

BD seems to be fighting the blocks for the Wallet Application because it continuously resurfaces as an entry-Enabled....Also BD updates (signature) seems to trigger the Wallet Application to be enabled again.

Will continue tomorrow or the next day. Got tired making it work out...

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Hi

I found this

Startup type : Registry Startup
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Display Name : Bitdefender Wallet
Path : C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pwdmanui.exe --hidden --nowizard

How to remove startup entry.
Open a command prompt. (Run a command prompt as Administrator in Windows vista/7/8)
Copy command line and Paste.

echo Start
echo #
echo ######################## Default dirctory for x86 x64 ########################
echo #
echo this command is default system32 directory for x86 OS or x64 OS
cd %windir% & cd system32
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Bitdefender Wallet" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Bitdefender Wallet" /f
echo #
echo ######################## Change the dirctory for x64 ########################
echo #
echo this command is x86 application's registry for x64 OS
cd %windir% & cd syswow64
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Bitdefender Wallet" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Bitdefender Wallet" /f
echo End

Done.!
Close the command prompt

Hope it will help

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
@SifhX,

Hi, dude. There was an error when I tried your Registry fix. Please see image attached.

yHBICeT.jpg

Any ideas?

I hope the guys can take a stab here, thanks! :)

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
@jasonX

I found that trick on net , I'm sorry it didn't works, I'm still trying to find a solution for you

On a french forum they say that you have to create a wallet then delete it and wallet is gone, I'm not sure it will works but maybe give it a try

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
I just recovered a system image from last week when I had Emsisoft IS on this very same partition and check my boot speed. It was 26-28sec. See image attached. I'll just update this and save an image so if later this week I decide not to keep BD I just recover this.

ZmYvqiy.png

I am using Glary Utilities as te moment but there is BootTime and BootRacer that measures boot speed.

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

http://elinux.org/Boot_Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.