Advice Request Slow download speed with OneDrive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Troubleshoot:
  1. Are you on Wireless or Wired connection?
  2. Disable Metered connection in Windows 10 Networking
  3. Set OneDrive Download rate to Don't limit in settings.
  4. Stop any background running apps that may be consuming bandwidth (ie. YouTube, Netflix, Torrenting, Store updates).
  5. Temporary disable security apps that may be scanning downloaded files from the OneDrive cloud.
  6. Disable any Privacy apps that may be blocking connections to Microsoft servers.
  7. Are other computers affected?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Do you use 3rd party DNS servers? If you do maybe they don't point you at the right Content Delivery Networks. I used to have mysteriously slow download speeds when I was using 3rd party DNS but when I used my ISP's DNS servers it was fast.

rationsauce

May 7, 2019
Have found the (workaround) solution. TLDR: read last paragraph.

Forget about downloading your files via the browser. I've tried multiple methods to no avail (even moving all my files into one folder and downloading that folder as a singular file). OneDrive's zipping speeds bottleneck your download speed.

What worked for me was downloading all your files via the OneDrive app that you get from the Microsoft Store (Get OneDrive - Microsoft Store). For some reason the app doesn't download a "zipped" version of your files but instead syncs them one-by-one onto your designated File Explorer folder. Sync speeds match whatever internet speed you're on. At least for me I was able to download 1.8GB worth of files in a minute (which is how its supposed to be with my ISP speeds).

Hope this helps!

_james

Sep 18, 2019
Have found the (workaround) solution. TLDR: read last paragraph.

Forget about downloading your files via the browser. I've tried multiple methods to no avail (even moving all my files into one folder and downloading that folder as a singular file). OneDrive's zipping speeds bottleneck your download speed.

What worked for me was downloading all your files via the OneDrive app that you get from the Microsoft Store (Get OneDrive - Microsoft Store). For some reason the app doesn't download a "zipped" version of your files but instead syncs them one-by-one onto your designated File Explorer folder. Sync speeds match whatever internet speed you're on. At least for me I was able to download 1.8GB worth of files in a minute (which is how its supposed to be with my ISP speeds).

Hope this helps!

Hello, thanks for the advice. Going to try this tonight. Had to download 300Gigs, after an hour 30 were done and speed was 800 bytes per second. So this seems promising.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.