Real-time security
Norton Security Deluxe (including firewall), MBAM, MBAE
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
GlassWire Network Security, Zemana, Hemdal, HerdProtect, VirusTotal Uploader
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Chrome, Shodan, FlashConrol, HTTPS Everywhere, WOT, Mailvelope, Extensity, WebRTC Network Limiter
Maintenance tools
Revo Uninstaller, CClean, VeraCrypt, unchecky, SimpleDNSCrypt, SpyBot Anti-beacon, Acronis TrueImage

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Looks very strong, even without the debating ones. ;)
Also good choice to use Norton (apart from the fact you've got a work license), since I also use it and I am very happy with it.
From the list of the debating softwares, I've only used herprotect and Deepfreeze. I surely recommend herprotect to clean up a heavily infected system, since it uses that much engines, but of course it's not a second opinion scanner like MBAM since herprotect sometimes has a lot of false positives. So I would rather recommend it to do a scan with it once a year or so, and keep mbam as main second opinion scanner, but again that's my impression about the product.
About deep freeze, it can be handy especially when doing malware testing or hunting, but I see that you don't download malware samples, so it isn't really needed there since you already have a lot of software running to protect you. But if you are able to get a license, then of course don't hesitate to try it out! And Acronis Trueimage is also good, so you don't need deep freeze imo :)
About the rest of the debating ones, just try them out and see if you like them, or ask some advice to other members, who actually used it or are using it.
I don't have any software to add actually since, you've covered the malware and privacy protection section very good.
So stay safe and enjoy the forums!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@Sman

Excellent config, all necessary security measures are covered!

Make sure you have a system image of a known good state of your system (created with Acronis True Image), so that you can use it to restore that exact state in case of a disaster. (just a reminder, I'm sure you already got it covered ;))

Regarding AppGuard/NVT EXE Radar Pro: NVT EXE Radar Pro is one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, anti-executable applications I have ever tested. It is effective, reliable and versatile in its function. Moreover, the upcoming versions are most likely going to be freeware, and a new build of the software is due to be released soon. (check here here for more information and updates from the developer)
I have not extensively tested AppGuard, however based on the feedback from other members here in MalwareTips, you can safely assume that it is a worthwhile piece of software, and it is also compatible with NVT EXE Radar Pro with proper configuration.

The technology behind RollBack Rx relies on creating low-level copies of your system onto your storage drive, utilizing proprietary methods of doing so while taking very little space and allowing for instantaneous recovery of your system, or of individual files. While the concept sounds extremely powerful, RollBack Rx has certain drawbacks, such as certain malfunctions on SSD drives, it is also prone to render the system unbootable during the installation of certain critical Windows updates, and it might conflict with software that modify or protect the master boot record of your system.

Spybot Anti-Beacon is currently one of the most trusted solutions to eliminate or, ar least, hinder the functions of the Microsoft Telemetry data mining modules - I doubt there is any other software that can offer more options than Spybot Anti-Beacon.

An reliable alternative (local) password manager to LastPass, is the free and open-source KeePass application, which boasts a wide range of security mechanisms/features (the fact that it is open-source would also mean that anyone can inspect its source code for potentially malicious functions, and perhaps even compile a trusted build of their own).

And, well, that's pretty much it, as far as I'm concerned. :D
You're good to go!
Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

P.S. I recommend you rename the title of this threat so that it denotes your forum username. ;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Sman. I must say your variety of proven software denotes an openness toward testing the "tech waters" in order to find the configuration which best suits you.:) I agree with what has already been so eloquently spoken!

Here I'll share how to set Chrome's built in third party cookie blocker:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button. Select "Block third-party cookies and site data"
    • After this you'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • You may also mark the circle "Keep site data only until browser is closed".
Thank you for sharing your configuration!:D

Last edited:

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Look good, I have just added NVT Exe Radar Pro Beta and I feel that it's good.

You can consider to add it in. :cool:

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very good on the configuration

Regarding on those debate, actually Appguard and NVT Exe Radar Pro have little difference when it comes on configuration/maintenance of ruleset but both can give you the satisfaction of lock-down mode. (So choose one for anti-exe based)

Rollback software that produce snapshots are fine than Virtualize the whole desktop because of isolation process that can suffer issues when you try to exclude them.

Sman

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 28, 2016
@Sman

Excellent config, all necessary security measures are covered!

Make sure you have a system image of a known good state of your system (created with Acronis True Image), so that you can use it to restore that exact state in case of a disaster. (just a reminder, I'm sure you already got it covered ;))

Regarding AppGuard/NVT EXE Radar Pro: NVT EXE Radar Pro is one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, anti-executable applications I have ever tested. It is effective, reliable and versatile in its function. Moreover, the upcoming versions are most likely going to be freeware, and a new build of the software is due to be released soon. (check here here for more information and updates from the developer)
I have not extensively tested AppGuard, however based on the feedback from other members here in MalwareTips, you can safely assume that it is a worthwhile piece of software, and it is also compatible with NVT EXE Radar Pro with proper configuration.

The technology behind RollBack Rx relies on creating low-level copies of your system onto your storage drive, utilizing proprietary methods of doing so while taking very little space and allowing for instantaneous recovery of your system, or of individual files. While the concept sounds extremely powerful, RollBack Rx has certain drawbacks, such as certain malfunctions on SSD drives, it is also prone to render the system unbootable during the installation of certain critical Windows updates, and it might conflict with software that modify or protect the master boot record of your system.

Spybot Anti-Beacon is currently one of the most trusted solutions to eliminate or, ar least, hinder the functions of the Microsoft Telemetry data mining modules - I doubt there is any other software that can offer more options than Spybot Anti-Beacon.

An reliable alternative (local) password manager to LastPass, is the free and open-source KeePass application, which boasts a wide range of security mechanisms/features (the fact that it is open-source would also mean that anyone can inspect its source code for potentially malicious functions, and perhaps even compile a trusted build of their own).
Thank you for the info! I actually do use KeePass (neglected to mention it) and have for a really long time. Yep - my Acronis images are always updated and well protect. I have these both locally, on my network (Synology) and offsite.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Sman: Both have important features covered on their limited free version, just choose one from them since your main primary target is browsers to protect against exploit attacks.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
What are your experiences with Norton? I am thinking of purchasing a Norton license as well.
Although I personally feel comfortable with Norton on Windows 8.1, I've known some who've not been fond of it's performance on different systems. For this reason, I would recommend a trial run before deciding on purchasing which is also a good method before buying a new car as well!:D

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

HerdProtect (debating; not sure if I will keep this)
herdProtect as you probably know uses 64+ Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware engines which as you probably can guess SHOULD get maximum detection. The problem with it is that unknown files get uploaded and you need to run a scan 30+ minutes later, it should tell you there and then if it is malicious and the signatures they have in the cloud are quite outdated.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have used both, MBAE & HMPA, and although each are worthy protections, I have chosen HitmanPro for it's greater scope of protection. Either (but not both) are worthy choices, and each are well developed products, but the final factor should depend upon your own personal preference.
Thanks!:)

Sman

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 28, 2016
I had some issues with Norton lately. False positives and crashing when scanning (2 of the 3 systems that are using it; continues even after fresh installs). I am thinking of replacing it. Any recommendations?

NOTE: it looks like my configuration was nuked in the wizard update? :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.