Smart Error's Configuration

Smart Error

Thread author
Dec 21, 2011
Windows Update: Turned on recommended updates.
Software Updater: CNET Tracker
UAC: Turned off.
Backup Solution: Todo Backup Free 4.0
Virtualization: Virtual Box, Sandboxie
VPN: Tor Browser; used for public networks.
Process Monitor: Process Explorer
Defragment: Windows Default
Software Uninstaller: Your Uninstaller 7

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection
Looks good , ESS 5 has a very good detection rate , this and Sandboxie should give you a high degree of security, nevertheless common sense is always need it.

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Additional browser add-ons:

Here are a really must have/try addons for your browser , they will make your life easier and safer :

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Also you can try Personal Software Inspector (PSI) from Secunia instead of CNET Tracker , as I'm sure it will do a better job at detecting out-dated software.

And because you are and Advanced User you can try COMODO KillSwitch instead of Process Explorer , as this tool is much more advanced.

Smart Error

Thread author
Dec 21, 2011
win7holic ,,
UAC is noisy , didn't feel better with it
as well as hitman .. it has high false postive detections

Jack ,,
i tried PSI before, when i run it .. it stucks into " verifying internet connection " screen .. and i tried all their solutions in their site
and still doesn't works

i use comodo killswitch between sometimes, but the main process manager is PE

trying other solutions u have provided to me

=) thnx all

P

Plexx

Consider using the following applications should you wish to:

URL Filter: Panda URL Filter (Google Panda Toolbar, install it and then uninstall the toolbar straight away and just leave the filter running)

Defrag: Puran Defrag or Auslogics Disk Defrag

Registry Defrag: Quicksys RegDefrag

Update checker: Filehippo Update Checker

Unlocking software: Unlocker 1.9.1 32bit edition

Uninstaller: Revo Uninstaller Free

Cleaner and Registry Clean: CCleaner

Process: Process Hacker (as an alternative)

For additional tools for toolbox, refer to my Main config in my signature :)
Hope this helps.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
I also turn off UAC not comfortable with it, many program required to turn off UAC when installation :(, so i iqnored that function :sleepy:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
A good and a secure config although turning off UAC can reduce your security. I also recommend to change your Software Updater to Secunia PSI or FileHippo Update Checker.

Smart Error

Thread author
Dec 21, 2011
i have a problem with PSI
after installing and running it .. it stucks on " Verifying Inter Connection " Screen
i tried all the solutions in the vendor's website .. and still the problem exists

if someone can gimme the solution .. i will be thankful

=)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Smart Error said:
i have a problem with PSI
after installing and running it .. it stucks on " Verifying Inter Connection " Screen
i tried all the solutions in the vendor's website .. and still the problem exists

if someone can gimme the solution .. i will be thankful

=)

It seems that one possible solution would be to use the 'Run as Administrator' option when starting the program. Can you try this solution?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably this one of the solution that you tried and it didn't work.

Link

Or use like Revo Uninstaller to remove everything leftovers for Secunia and try reinstall again.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have Java installed you can use the online version, but I don't think Secunia is needed.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.