So i did test all free AV and was Surprised.

Are you surprised by the results conducted in my test?

• Yes

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Not on all programs

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I clearly know what you guys mean. and as i said it was a "DETECTION" test. nothing more ( for myself ). but i hate when people make comments like "So you did not use default settings after all. You see, these little things makes you wonder what else did you do" or they dont believe me without a video .

So whatever. i will Probably add one more thing and that is Secure aplus. then iam gone .

the thing that made me make this test FOR MYSELF was. everywhere i researched people told Comodo got bad detections , avira is the king of detection but not of prevention and other stuff... you probably know that already . and that recommendations differ so much from review sites Like av-test and stuff

and i wanted to see who actually got good detection files / cloud

and i know you cant deem a product by that if its entirely bad or good. thats why i stay with avast its for me the clear winner here. good features . very good detection.

but you can still clearly take your Opinion out here. that some companys seem to be faster and better at detection than others atleast RIght now with my pack.

i will add Secure Aplus probably later too ( 12 engines ) its atm scanning but takes ages. ( right now started it scanned 12 files in like 20 seconds ) 1 file with only 1/12 detections

Edit Alot of these 1/12 detections are from clamwin inside of secure aplus so... i think i will add Clamwin too iam curious now i allways thought about clamwin as extrem underdog and under performing ( standalone clamwin )

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and askmark

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I completely agree. Paid products are not better than free products if we know what we are doing and find a good combo
for example, WD/avast/avira/BD free + Voodooshield free/comodo firewall => paid products = who are better, except lockdown products?

I actually like where the a-v companies are going with paid software. If you pay, you don't have to work so hard to piece together layered protection, because more and more incisive planning is being poured into paid versions and more and more comprehensive and hands off solutions are being incorporated into them. This is while the free softwares are offering functions that actually do protect effectively and can contribute to a layered solution. Best part is that developers are still working on these too, such as free versions of Avast, Bitdefender, Avira, 360 TS, Panda etc. Free options are getting better at what they do, and this is a great trend.

If I use the free, I usually know I will need to also layer more than with the paid. However, the paid are trending to being really outstanding applications, and that I feel is really great for the future and security of computers and companies and so on. Lots of great improvement happening. :)

Oh yes. Thanks for the test and for the hard work. I think everyone should stay calm and realize that Slerion's test was an informal test. He was seeking to satisfy himself and learn some things. One thing is to note. I think we can all take an interest in the Comodo A-V results and maybe someone can formally seek to determine why these results were so much better than others. This finding alone for me makes this thread very worthwhile, but your informal test and findings are interesting for sure, so thanks again and great thread.

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
So after i allways trusted on other opinions and stuff i finally made my own Malware test.

* PS i tried my best :) was just actually meant for myself and was my first test but i thought it could be interesting for you all
Thanks for taking the time to perform all these tests and for sharing the results with the MT community. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Could you send me a link to the Malware pack please? I want to check them against Comodo AV.
theres no link as i said i made it myself i would need to Upload it myself will probably later do did you check my post with the screenshots ? here they are again

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
i will do after the clamwin scan and the secure aplus scan :) Secure aplus is atm at 344 / 862

( I will heavily compress it because my upload isnt the fastest so close chrome for ram :) ) *when you open it

i will make it that way.

Winrar folder 1 Including all AV setups ( from all av i did test ) second Winrar folder ( Included in the first one ) named Malware includes the malware ( Malware Winrar folder will have a Password that Password will be "1" simple )

Edit 3 . Secure aplus is at 500/862

Secure Aplus 743/862 but it deemed alot files to be "okay" because they were only detected by 1 av ( i cant edit anymore my first post for some reason )

Clamwin found 660/862

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Screenshot_9.jpg
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Pack is now @ Upload estimated 12 Minutes

Edit need to new Upload it included now a folder where all files are .exe

if you dont know what todo pls use .file folder its less risky

Last edited:

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Great tests just curious if Avast pro,Panda Pro would give different results?
Also would be interesting to see webroot latest version result on this pack.Thks

Reactions: askmark

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Great tests just curious if Avast pro,Panda Pro would give different results?
Also would be interesting to see webroot latest version result on this pack.Thks

ye I would like to see People with pro AV test these files would be fun to see if its different or not and if it is different by how much ( Detection only )

-around 30 min it says now added a folder with all as .exe files pls bewarned again the exe folder is more risky for less experienced Size 1,33gb

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I have no idea of what changes you have made to the default settings, have you tried to change settings to the max where such options are available, or only enable pup detection? From one point of view not all products have the options to change the detection settings, from other point of view changing detection settings can be good for people who have accumulated a certain level of knowledge, but can be bad with lower thresholds for people who can't go around FPs.Thank you for the work (which certainly wasn't easy) and for the share, although this test should not solely be used as a game changer for people here. I cannot stop thinking about the Windows Defender Results. I know Windows Defender is better than this. Have a nice day!

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I have no idea of what changes you have made to the default settings, have you tried to change settings to the max where such options are available, or only enable pup detection? From one point of view not all products have the options to change the detection settings, from other point of view changing detection settings can be good for people who have accumulated a certain level of knowledge, but can be bad with lower thresholds for people who can't go around FPs.Thank you for the work (which certainly wasn't easy) and for the share, although this test should not solely be used as a game changer for people here. I cannot stop thinking about the Windows Defender Results. I know Windows Defender is better than this. Have a nice day!

only 2 things i changed is .

Allow pup detection .

Allow to scann all files in a folder scan.

and i allways Updated the AV prior scans

i Would like to see a Professional test with avast and hardened mode + cybercapture vs Comodo and run only trusted Programms outside of sandbox mode. so Valkyrie starts and scanns all Untrusted programms in sandbox then we will see how good valkyrie would be.

6min then its Uploaded from now ( the malware pack ) 1min if gdrive doesnt lie.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
then we will see how good valkyrie would be
The problem with that is Valkyrie isn't always fully functional. Sometimes it takes days to upload and analyse files and other times there's no server connection at all. There's also been instances of Valkyrie labelling malicious files at safe and allowing them to run uncontested on the system. It's typical Comodo fashion; release a product that's technically still in beta (even though they claim it's a stable release) and spend the next 6 months to a year finishing development or fixing any issues that crop up.

Reactions: AtlBo

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
The problem with that is Valkyrie isn't always fully functional. Sometimes it takes days to upload and analyse files and other times there's no server connection at all. It's typical Comodo fashion; release a product that's technically still in beta (even though they claim it's a stable release) and spend the next 6 months to a year finishing development or fixing any issues that crop up.
i didnt had issues i tried some files but it was hard to find files in my pack that comodo didnt instantly want to quarantine but the 3 i found were instantly put in sandbox and then checked by valkyrie. but last i checked was 30 min ago in my vm valkyrie didnt had a verdict if they were unsafe or safe. still analyzing

Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
i didnt had issues i tried some files but it was hard to find files in my pack that comodo didnt instantly want to quarantine but the 3 i found were instantly put in sandbox and then checked by valkyrie. but last i checked was 30 min ago in my vm valkyrie didnt had a verdict if they were unsafe or safe. still analyzing
I'd like to think they've improved the system from when I last took a look at CCAV. (Which was Q1 last year.)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
oh yeah i tried it too some time around that time wasnt impressed. but it seems to be better now . it matured.
I still won't ever use it again. It puts too much emphasis on the AV module which has a long history of being absolute trash, the sandbox (while a nice addition) isn't anywhere near as strong as other Comodo products' and Valkyrie's implementation is just moronic. It puts its users at risk by giving Valkyrie the final say if an unknown file is safe or not and when it incorrectly labels a malicious file as harmless it lists that file as trusted (whitelists it) so the malware has the ability do whatever the hell it wants on your system for however long it stays unnoticed.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
the Programms didnt ask me to upload only WD wanted to Upload and i did. i dont like to Upload 862 files one by one.

You can have zipped the files remaining and sent it to the AVs via email. It might take a long time but it helps everyone in the end.

Based on some of the posts some people are going off topic.. Note for everyone to stay on topic. Otherwise the staff will either A. remove reply ability or B. delete the thread itself..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.