Advice Request Software complement for ESET Smart Security Premium?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Hi there,

What is a good complement for ESET Smart Security Premium? I look for a software that obviously doesn't require me to uninstall ESET as many good ones as Trend Micro or BitDefender require.
Some additional shields you think can be useful....if free better, if not alright paid.

Thank you lots!!

And if you can specify what for exactly Id be very grateful!
Cheers
In addition to the hips rules that were recommended to you above, I recommend that you add the following rules:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DatabasePath

In addition, you can add a rule to protect the hosts file. If you use the Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware program, then you do not need to create rules for protecting document folders in Hips, but if you uninstall the Kaspersky program, then such rules can also be written.

jaoe134

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 7, 2021
In addition to the hips rules that were recommended to you above, I recommend that you add the following rules:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DatabasePath

In addition, you can add a rule to protect the hosts file. If you use the Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware program, then you do not need to create rules for protecting document folders in Hips, but if you uninstall the Kaspersky program, then such rules can also be written.
thank you !

Reactions: Nevi

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018

How can we apply these rules? :)

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
Create a rule in HIPS, set to ask or deny if any applications attempt to access those registry keys. Ask is the safer option as many legitimate applications access those keys particularly during installation.
should i set up for all registry operations to those or delete, rename and modify registry?

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021
I'll also add, make sure you understand what you're doing. That's the danger of this HIPS system, you can really bork up and brick your system if you don't know what you're enabling. That's the reason ESET doesn't automatically generate rules, there are too many variables. A program like OSArmor may be safer if you're not secure in your knowledge. It does/can do basically the same things you can do with HIPS, but in an easier fashion so to speak. And thus less likelihood of screwing things up lol.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
What is a good complement for ESET Smart Security Premium?

If you configure HIPS according to all the tips, as already written in this topic, including blocking access to folders with important documents for everything except the software that you use in your work, then the only thing I would recommend in addition to Eset is a secure encrypted DNS. For example, NextDNS (via the official app or YogaDNS) with all the active protection parameters and an OISD subscription makes your Internet even safer.

Reactions: NewbyUser and Nevi

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
How can we apply these rules? :)
You have already been told ahead of me how to create rules in hips. I will only add that instead of blocking, I expose the option to ask, this is safer, but it requires attention from the user when a request for action is received from the antivirus.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.