Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Bad sector
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None , just know the health dropped to 28 % using hard disk sentinel software and 89 bad sector found "performance indication still 100 % though"
Dear ,
i want to know your recommendation for good software to fix bad sector in my external hard disk
1660949852047.png

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Would you consider trying this in Windows first? Use both /f and /r switches. Then consider other things afterward.

Then find chkdsk results in Event Viewer:

How to find chkdsk results in Windows 10

So, I always start from within Windows for these kinds of things.

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Would you consider trying this in Windows first? Use both /f and /r switches. Then consider other things afterward.

Thanks for the advise i will give it a try

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It is my understanding that what is being repaired is data corrupted by bad sectors and the number of bad sectors cannot be repaired. Software can only repair data and avoid future access to bad sectors.

When it gets really dangerous, the change in numbers gets worse every few hours.

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It is my understanding that what is being repaired is data corrupted by bad sectors and the number of bad sectors cannot be repaired. Software can only repair data and avoid future access to bad sectors.

When it gets really dangerous, the change in numbers gets worse every few hours.
yes i want to know if it is logical bad sector ??
if it is i want to fix it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use DRevitalize. It's cheaper than HDD Regenerator and SpinRite. It was last updated at the end of 2020.

Also read the link HD Sentinel suggested reading.

When you have a number of bad sectors, it's often an indication that the drive will fail soon. Make sure you have a backup of the data on drive and keep using HD Sentinel to keep track on the health of the drive. If the number of bad sectors keeps increasing, it's best to stop using the drive.

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I use DRevitalize. It's cheaper than HDD Regenerator and SpinRite. It was last updated at the end of 2020.

When you have a number of bad sectors, it's often an indication that the drive will fail soon. Make sure you have a backup of the data on drive and keep using HD Sentinel to keep track on the health of the drive. If the number of bad sectors keeps increasing, it's best to stop using the drive.
i did read this article and tried to reset the counter and it got back
yes i bought another External hard drive and take a copy of my files but i wanted to now if there is any hope to fix the bad sector

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

it has some detections on virustotal . it may be false positives but i am worry

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
i did read this article and tried to reset the counter and it got back
yes i bought another External hard drive and take a copy of my files but i wanted to now if there is any hope to fix the bad sector
You don't want to just reset the counter. The errors will still be there.
it has some detections on virustotal . it may be false positives but i am worry
Don't worry, they are false positives. AI based scanners such as CrowdStrike and SecureAge often have issues with false positives. Ikarus has issues with false positives too and I wouldn't take any notice of the detection from MaxSecure as it is a terrible antivirus. Most importantly, the current version of DRevitalize was released in November of 2020. If it was actually malicious, big name antiviruses would have started detecting it long ago.

Upvote 0

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021

Ditto. Been using chkdsk for a long time for a long list of problems. In the cases where a drive was too badly corrupted for chkdsk you usually can boot to a live Linux CD and work with that. Plenty of dicumentation out there and it isn't very difficult. If you can't fix a drive this way you can still usually access the drive and copy what you need from this. If you need some help with the live cd method I can help.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
After backing up, it may be improved by low-level formatting.

Also, the software that WD distributed until 2020 seems to be able to test and low-level format the disk, so it's convenient. According to the introductory article I read, it seems that it can also be used with HDD disks that are not made by WD.

Since formatting is a prerequisite, a backup is required. And the low-level format takes quite a long time.

It is a Japanese site, but it may be helpful. The low-level format did not eliminate the bad sectors, but it improved the health and made it usable without problems.

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
After backing up, it may be improved by low-level formatting.

Also, the software that WD distributed until 2020 seems to be able to test and low-level format the disk, so it's convenient. According to the introductory article I read, it seems that it can also be used with HDD disks that are not made by WD.

Since formatting is a prerequisite, a backup is required. And the low-level format takes quite a long time.

It is a Japanese site, but it may be helpful. The low-level format did not eliminate the bad sectors, but it improved the health and made it usable without problems.
I thought about formatting but stopped it as i was in harry i already take backup on my new HDD external hard drive but i don't want to give up my old one if it could be fixed " it 2 TB storage " such waste of storage
it segate type i bought another one "WD"

Reactions: Nevi and show-Zi
Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Ditto. Been using chkdsk for a long time for a long list of problems. In the cases where a drive was too badly corrupted for chkdsk you usually can boot to a live Linux CD and work with that. Plenty of dicumentation out there and it isn't very difficult. If you can't fix a drive this way you can still usually access the drive and copy what you need from this. If you need some help with the live cd method I can help.
i checked the the external harddisk using check disk command and it didnot find a problem in the hard disk

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and show-Zi
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.