I think there is something new here:

Online Security from Comodo|Web Filtering Extension for Google Chrome

Google Chrome:
Comodo Online Security

and Firefox:
Comodo Online Security – Add-ons for Firefox

Comodo Online Security
Real-time protection from online threats and phishing websites
Comodo Online Security is a powerful web filtering extension for Chrome and Firefox which protects you online by instantly blocking harmful and phishing websites
  • Instantly blocks dangerous and fraudulent websites
  • Works with incognito, private and normal browsing modes
  • Takes seconds to download and install
  • No impact on browsing speed
  • Blocks sites which may have been missed by in-browser web filters

Attachments

• COS.PNG
    COS.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
I wonder how many bugs will come with this creation.

Actually you make an impression of a bot posting the same statement in every Comodo product related topic.

COS will come with a new, highly efficient antiphishing technology soon. It will be different from blacklist based solutions.
In the meantime, I've found Valkyrie Verdict to be effective in detecting phishing urls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

Actually you make an impression of a bot posting the same statement in every Comodo product related topic.
This is a thread on a forum. The point of the ability to post messages on a thread is to ask questions, share facts and express opinions. If you don't wish to read other people's opinions then there is no point in you reading the comments of a thread. If you write a nice comment about COMODO and your recent experience with COMODO Valkyrie on more than 2-3 threads at a completely different timing, you'd be making a 'impression of a bot posting the same statement in every Comodo product related topic'? Thought not. Double standards.

I'm merely sharing my personal opinion about COMODO and COMODO products on threads which are related to COMODO. My experience with COMODO in the past has not been good (it always lead down a trail of allegedly-patched years-old bugs), and I neither trust them. I'm free to express this opinion, the same way you're free to express your own opinions based on your own experience and thoughts.

Also, I really doubt that I've commented on more than 4 or 5 threads related to COMODO in the past 6 months... which if true, would be far from 'every Comodo product related topic'. Furthermore, I have only expressed my negative opinion of COMODO in the recent month or so. If I'm wrong, feel free to share those links.

1. Click on my avatar.
2. Click the button with the caption "Ignore".
3. Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

COS will come with a new, highly efficient antiphishing technology soon. It will be different from blacklist based solutions.
In the meantime, I've found Valkyrie Verdict to be effective in detecting phishing urls.

Soon? Do you mean soon as in the same way Comodo have been promising to integrate a fully working Valkyrie into CIS and CF for 8 years+ ?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
0100- Mini-Rant begins

Opcode- First off, only a Fool would put you on ignore, and there ain't no Fools on MT! Your posts contain far too much of value to ignore.

Second- the real issue with Comodo is that Geeks Like Us mostly have not seen an Optional Protection Modality that shouldn't be Enabled. With Comodo (CF) this is an issue as this product works best in its most simplistic state. Protection Elegance in the case of CF is mutually exclusive of a complex setup. In other words, the more a person tinkers with stuff that is really not understood the more issues that person will have. Keep it simple, be protected, and be happy.

Thirdly- Who actually cares about Valkyrie? Just another Traditional AV modality that can be bypassed by true zero-day malware.

Fourth (and finally)- Who really cares if an ancillary product is sub-optimal if the Primary Product is superb? Does a crappy Comodo Web extension for Chrome (do people actually still use that?) detract from any way the Protection afforded by CF? Similarly, does the protection afforded (or lack of it) by Kaspersky Anti-ransomware (which my Cat Ophelia can bypass) in any way affect the protection performance of KTS?

Fifth (and really finally)- I was bored so I've been screwing around at various dodgy websites ( I use Cf, so really don't care about such things) and have noticed a great deal of blocking ability by Windows Defender- this being with the recent 1803 update.

9999- MiniRant Ends

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Who actually cares about Valkyrie?
It's Comodo themselves that seem to care , or not about Valkyrie. They've been banging on about it coming to CIS and CF for years. Now, the above post regarding Comodo browser protection mentions some new tech coming to said extension that's why I mentioned Valkyrie because Comodo always promise big things but they rarely deliver. They've delivered an auto-Sandbox which is extremely effective but that's it. But the above poster mentioning the new tech coming to COS either has some solid info or is falling into the same trap as a lot of people did with Comodo promising to bring Valkyrie to CIS and CF. I really hope they do. Detection is very important if Comodo want to build upon their user base simply for average, daily users they like to see detections, which, in-turn would give them more faith that when Comodo sandboxes something there's a reason for it.

But, that's for Windows users the only way I'll run Windows again is in a VM but that's just my own personal preference.

I've noticed Windows defenders blocking ability has drastically improved too whilst browsing dodgy website in a VM. It's very nice to see that all Microsoft's PR regarding WD isn't just fluff. I had WD tweaked via GPE when I was testing it the other day and I was honestly surprised at how efficient it is. Personality I don't see the need for third party AV's anymore unless someone is going for a full suite they're better off just leaving WD enabled and installing CF or some other solid zero day protection. MS really have delivered on creating a solid baseline security for Windows 10.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Z- Yeah, Comodo still wants to consider themselves as a top notch AV vendor (as if...). This really disappoints me (and is probably the reason they hate me). Instead of making people wallow in the Darkness of ineffective modalities (AV) that are no longer effective they should be dragging people into the Light of Virtualization, which is their strength. Thank God that they haven't highlighted AI- which from any other vendor has only showed us that machines are equally stupid.

And I'm happy that you also saw the increased ability of MSFT! They had better watch out as any increase of protection will probably result in some sort of anti-competitive lawsuit by the Traditional vendors.

M

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
They had better watch out as any increase of protection will probably result in some sort of anti-competitive lawsuit by the Traditional vendors.
I've been wondering about how long it will be until this becomes a problem too. It's a shame really because in my opinion MS should have taken security as seriously as they are now a long time ago and, although their Motivation is probably just getting a larger cloud base so they can sell their enterprise products they do have the right to secure their own OS and customers. Back to Comodo, I think the best they could do if they really want a solid AV just so they can be seen as a top AV vendor is to use the BD or Avira engine. One system I still have Windows 10 on just has WD enabled and CF tweaked and it's extremely responsive and about as protected as it can get without over complicating things.

CS - Was it Comodo who asked you never to test their products again? I saw you mention that a vendor had asked you not to test their products and I was just curious to who it was. To be honest any vendor should thank you for taking time out of your life to point out holes in their products which they could then work on.

Reactions: simmerskool

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I've been wondering about how long it will be until this becomes a problem too. It's a shame really because in my opinion MS should have taken security as seriously as they are now a long time ago and, although their Motivation is probably just getting a larger cloud base so they can sell their enterprise products they do have the right to secure their own OS and customers. Back to Comodo, I think the best they could do if they really want a solid AV just so they can be seen as a top AV vendor is to use the BD or Avira engine. One system I still have Windows 10 on just has WD enabled and CF tweaked and it's extremely responsive and about as protected as it can get without over complicating things.

CS - Was it Comodo who asked you never to test their products again? I saw you mention that a vendor had asked you not to test their products and I was just curious to who it was. To be honest any vendor should thank you for taking time out of your life to point out holes in their products which they could then work on.
the vendor probably realized they can't compete with Ophelia, the supercat

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.