Troubleshoot Sony Vaio Laptop powers off randomly

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hi guys, I'm trying to fix a friends laptop...the problem is... when I turn it on, soon after it just shuts off randomly, sometimes it will stay on longer than other times. My guess is it's the RAM, but I know it could also be a power issue like the internal power jack or external power brick but my gut says it's the RAM. It was dropped she told me, so who knows it could have damaged a number of things internally. What are your thoughts? It's a Win 10 laptop 4gb of memory. I plan on transferring her data on a flash drive soon cause I have an hdd adapter.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
As an "old-timey" hardware tech , I would be asking for more info about the dropping incident .

Was it powered up at the time ? , was the battery fitted ? , was the charger plugged in ?
Will it boot with battery only ( no mains ac ) ? will it boot without the battery ?
Had any random shutdowns ever been seen before it was dropped ?

Five minutes spent asking those type of questions have saved me many hours of work in "exploring" (ie . checking/ testing everything )

I'm thinking of the components that are most vulnerable when a laptop is dropped :
- the parts that are heaviest take the biggest physical hit .... battery pack , HDD , screen .
- a power cable getting forcibly ripped-out can often damage the soldered connection where the internal socket meets the motherboard.

From what you wrote , my feeling is that it's more likely a power fault rather than a RAM fault .
I would check the power-brick ( ac mains adapter ) with a multi-meter ;
the label says what DC voltage to expect ( and it will be usually read a little higher than this )

re. testing the HDD with a boot disk ; I would have done the same as you, and if it wouldn't run I'd put the drive
in an external case ( caddy ) and then check it using another computer , with something like HDSentinel or CrystalDiskInfo
That all depends on what you have available ... or just lying around ...

Some of this might seem like " stating the obvious " , but it's just the way my mind works ... :)

Good luck !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I must have misunderstood her...she said it wasn't dropped, so I just texted her asking why the corner of the lid is cracked. I have ran it with it plugged in and just the battery and it lasts anywhere's from a few minutes to 20 minutes or so then shuts down. Could it be an update in Win 10 doing this? I have researched and I know some updates are hell on computers and it really screws them up including my wife's laptop.
BTW I am using my own spare RAM stick currently, so I know it's not the RAM or pretty sure it's fine.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I must have misunderstood her...she said it wasn't dropped, so I just texted her asking why the corner of the lid is cracked. I have ran it with it plugged in and just the battery and it lasts anywhere's from a few minutes to 20 minutes or so then shuts down. Could it be an update in Win 10 doing this? I have researched and I know some updates are hell on computers and it really screws them up including my wife's laptop.
BTW I am using my own spare RAM stick currently, so I know it's not the RAM or pretty sure it's fine.
Disconnect Battery, maybe its dead.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.