Battle Sophos Free or WD + configure defender

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm wondering if WD + ConfigureDefender instead of Sophos Home Free would be lighter on our machine and give roughly the same protection we get now. I'm a new member and I've been using Sophos Free since November 2017 install on our old windows laptop. (i3, 4GB RAM). I've been OK with Sophos and one of the things I like about it is ease of use and web filtering. I'm a safe user but I am a novice with all things PC. Recently I saw info here about ConfigureDefender for WD and it simply got me wondering.....should I give WD a try?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1 WD is bad at static detection. It is better at blocking when the file is executed.
2 If you want WD to really perform, you need to enable ASR. This is easily done by means of ConfigureDefender.
I found WD's BB/cloud working only after being tweaked by CD
in default settings, it doesn't usually block anything that the static scanner can't detect
I tested it, it blocked 0 after I executed undetected malwares in default settings

I think most windows 10 users are more protected not because of WD but because of windows smartscreen or the improvement of Edge's smartscreen and google safe browsing

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I found WD's BB/cloud working only after being tweaked by CD
in default settings, it doesn't usually block anything that the static scanner can't detect
I tested it, it blocked 0 after I executed undetected malwares in default settings

I think most windows 10 users are more protected not because of WD but because of windows smartscreen or the improvement of Edge's smartscreen and google safe browsing

Thanks for your testing. I wish we had more testing of this fine utility. Hopefully more members are aware of ConfigureDefender' s ease of use and overall benefit when added to WD.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for your testing. I wish we had more testing of this fine utility. Hopefully more members are aware of ConfigureDefender' s ease of use and overall benefit when added to WD.
I wish we have more but I won't be the tester because windows 10+WD+CD severely degrade my laptop
I wish everyone could see what they did to it, too much freezing and lag especially the HDD

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wish we have more but I won't be the tester because windows 10+WD+CD severely degrade my laptop
I wish everyone could see what they did to it, too much freezing and lag especially the HDD
I do not notice any drag from the Attack Surface Reduction rules, which are the real gems in ConfigureDefender, IMO.
But if you max out the WD cloud settings, then yes, there is drag. And all you will get is a slightly better AV. So it's not worth it to enable max cloud settings, IMO.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I do not notice any drag from the Attack Surface Reduction rules, which are the real gems in ConfigureDefender, IMO.
But if you max out the WD cloud settings, then yes, there is drag. And all you will get is a slightly better AV. So it's not worth it to enable max cloud settings, IMO.
I just don't know. I noticed significant impact when (the VM always freezes)
- signature update
- when a malware is being analyzed
- Malwares spawning a lot of processes
- copy multiple files

I deeply dislike windows defender

regular users may not notice any impact but testing malware is different. It requires a lot more resources
forticlient, for example, when executing some malwares, forti consumes really high CPU but not in daily activities

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just don't know. I noticed significant impact when (the VM always freezes)
- signature update
- when a malware is being analyzed
- Malwares spawning a lot of processes
- copy multiple files

regular users may not notice any impact but testing malware is different. It requires a lot more resources
forticlient, for example, when executing some malwares, forti consumes really high CPU but not in daily activities
1 could be, I never noticed it
2 yes
3 Hopefully, malware will not be spawning a lot of processes on my computer, and if it does, that's okay with me if it goes slow :)
4 yes. Copy multiple files is slow on WD. If you have a big copy job to do, just disable WD until you are done.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1 could be, I never noticed it
2 yes
3 Hopefully, malware will not be spawning a lot of processes on my computer, and if it does, that's okay with me if it goes slow :)
4 yes. Copy multiple files is slow on WD. If you have a big copy job to do, just disable WD until you are done.
yeah, unfortunately, WD slows down my daily activities because those are what I do everyday, copy, open multiple files :(
WD doesn't slow down web browsing and boot speed, which many people like
if you have bad hardware and HDD, you will notice WD consuming high CPU and disk io during update, especially when you don't update for a few days

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.