• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Sophos Home

Sophos Home (currently in beta) protects every Mac and PC in your home from malicious software, inappropriate websites and viruses. It uses the same award-winning technology that IT professionals trust to protect their business systems. Best of all, you can manage security settings for the whole family from any browser.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I was testing this yesterday. Works fine. Great detection on adware and such. I'd like control on program itself and I'd like to not have things forcibly deleted without consent (no way to recover). It tells you to take action but then takes whatever action it wants anyway. The only action is to delete. What's the point?

Also on restart, it fails to start up claiming that it had difficulties (it was removing a file that never ran) and one of the most irritating things was that you have to restart sometimes to remove a file that was never running. Take the beta title seriously. It's bugged and needs fixing. Tested on Windows 10 with latest November build. May work fine on Windows 7 and 8.

This will certainly be great for those who have family/friends who want an AV that they don't have to do anything with while you can control it for them for maintenance. Bad thing is you need web page to add exclusions, turn things off/on, and turn on PUA detection when you first install. Very annoying. I hope they add control for the program and not have to open a browser just to do simple things. It's a home version after all, not a business version. I do realize they used this for business protection and probably just started to modify it for home use.

It's also great for set and forget types of users. I have no idea if this has any type of zero day protection (excluding heuristics if it even has that). I assume it's basic AV (providing base line protection).

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Looks like more and more paid AVs make freeware version. Sophos is a good product, this looks like basic protection, no 0-day protection.

RaDi0AcTiVe MaN

Level 1
Verified
Nov 1, 2015
anyone try this in win10 what is ram and cpu usage and is it any good for realtime?Thks

It uses 210MB Ram. Maybe because all the signatures are loaded in ram? It has 10 processes and uses about 0-3% CPU.
Despite of that its light and detection-wise its really good (somebody posted a youtube video of a reviewer)

I use windows 10 64bit

Reactions: blueblackwow65
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
There is no quarantine to restore detections? That means it deletes the detection? Not good.

Website Category not working? I selected "Block" for adult websites. And tried couple adult websites but were not blocked.

Note - Tried under Shadow Defender so system was not restarted. Dont know if it requires system restart to function fully?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
3 new free AVs from big guns McAfee, Kasperky & Sophos. All dont have any Proactive protection.
All 3 are like Windows Defender with different name. So on Win 10 it seems you are better off with new & improved Windows Defender.

I am waiting for Comodo Cloud AV. It has Sandbox & hope turns out well with their new & improved Valkyrie.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Sophos cant be serious if they release a Free AV to the masses with only signature detection?
Can anyone comment on if they connect back to their cloud for zero day detection?

/W

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I was testing this yesterday. Works fine. Great detection on adware and such. I'd like control on program itself and I'd like to not have things forcibly deleted without consent (no way to recover). It tells you to take action but then takes whatever action it wants anyway. The only action is to delete. What's the point?

Thank you for letting us know that. Always a non-starter for me.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rishi and Infamous
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.