Sophos Home Free Discontinued

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
  • Sophos has made a business decision to change its Sophos Home Free option to a 30-day free trial for Sophos Home Premium. After 30-days, the free trial license will end, and users may purchase Sophos Home Premium on a subscription basis
  • Pricing for Sophos Home Premium is $59.99 (MSRP), currently available with a 25% first-year discount at $44.99 for a one-year subscription, for up to 10 PC and Mac devices; pricing may vary based on seasonal promotions
  • All existing Sophos Home Free accounts (that switched to Free before November 11th 2021), worldwide will retain their Sophos Home Free license with all of the existing features, including protection for up to three PC and/or Mac devices
  • Sophos is committed to providing consumers with ongoing premium-level cybersecurity features and updates, including ransomware and other malware protection, malware scans and clean-ups, privacy protection, real-time antivirus protection, parental web filtering, and much more
  • With the cyberthreat landscape constantly changing and an increase in cybercrime-as-a-service, it is important that consumers have advanced cybersecurity solutions on their home devices
Read more here

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I used it plenty of times, it was bit heavy and lacked phishing protection

Allthough their customer support was nice and helpful, i hope they dont discontinue their android antivirus .. as avast is probably only that is left to block malicious sites of free antivirus products(?)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
But no loss with Sophos Free, as much as I liked them a few years ago. Heck, even TPCS loved them back then, at least their web filtering. :D
True. Though it wasn't a bad free AV, it wasn't very popular. Sophos isn't focused on home markets anyway. Version 3 improved in system impact but version 2 was very heavy, and the cloud console system was never liked by home users.
A bit of a shame, but Sophos Free was very limited...
Is the antivirus business model changing in the face of the rise of Microsoft Defender?
Yeah, I think Microsoft Defender is one of the main reasons. Many already predicted this before, even I shared the same thought here. Microsoft Defender is disrupting the home AV market as a whole.
9/10 people I know and see in real life don't use any third party AV.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Interesting development.
Like @SeriousHoax said, Bitdefender and Sophos Home Free are now gone.
What will Norton do with Avira/Avast/AVG?
Keep one or all free versions or stop them completely? 🤔
Is there still a Kaspersky Free next year?
Or will everybody that don't want to pay have to go to Microsoft Defender Antivirus?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Interesting development.
Like @SeriousHoax said, Bitdefender and Sophos Home Free are now gone.
What will Norton do with Avira/Avast/AVG?
Keep one or all free versions or stop them completely? 🤔
Is there still a Kaspersky Free next year?
Or will everybody that don't want to pay have to go to Microsoft Defender Antivirus?

Norton won't touch Avira ;)
Avast and AVG on the other hand I have no information

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Norton won't touch Avira ;)
Avast and AVG on the other hand I have no information

This was said at the start of this year, but who knows if Norton will change things in the future. Maybe they won't, maybe they will, we don't know. Avira's user number is much lower and getting lower every year, I think.
On the other hand, Avast/AVG are the most popular free AV brands. PC users from all over the world I think knows about Avast Free AV. So Norton is unlikely to change the Avast Free AV model more than anything. Avast also tells that they have 435 million users. If it's true, then they have 5 times more users compared to Norton's 80 million. So for sure, at least Avast Free isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The rest is uncertain.
It's rumored that Norton also has a timed deal with Broadcom for the Symantec technology. So in a few years they might not be able to use Symantec's technology anymore in Norton products, and this is why they purchased 3 brands (4 if you count AVG) so far and will use their technologies in future Norton products.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It's worth keeping in mind that AV vendors are for-profit businesses, and that practically all free AVs are just vehicles for pushing users towards their paid versions. So while it's nice that vendors offer free versions of their products in the first place, if those free versions aren't contributing enough to offset the cost of their development, it shouldn't be surprising if they end up getting axed.

Sucks I know, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Since MS Defender has a certain level of evaluation and ability, I feel that the advantage of users actively introducing security software from other companies has disappeared.
I predict that all free versions will move to trial versions.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Been some big changes is the last couple of years even more so lately, the market esp. free must be contracting as more use the default Defender? What Norton choose to do with their acquisitions is anyone's guess, I doubt it will be good for the consumer?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.