Sophos question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Hey,is there any way how i can use Sophos UTM on my Windows 7 Laptop? Or i need an extra server for it? It seems like an outstanding product and its free for home users.

Any help is much appricated.

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014

"The Sophos UTM Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance. Just right for the spare PC you have sitting in the corner!"

Thank u. I should better read,lol.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
"The Sophos UTM Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process. Therefore, a separate, dedicated computer is needed, which will change into a fully functional security appliance. Just right for the spare PC you have sitting in the corner!"

You're very welcome!:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

After reading this, it appears to be as promising as it is exciting!:) The only problem with the spare computer kept in the corner room of our home is that it may need some magical and mechanical engineering to repair it's screen and power source.:p

Thank you (both), and I shall read more too!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Janl92l and juhful

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
I'm really glad to see this topic- I saw Sophos UTM and thought it sounded interesting. The set-up tutorial is helpful and answered my question regarding whether this can be used instead of AV software on PC's- it mentioned there were no issues get updates from security software, so I think this means Sophos UTM does not replace locally-installed software. I guess that also makes sense because threats may get in other ways. So, the way this works is you set-up on old laptop and then just leave it running 24/7, and you have something closer to corporate level network security? Pretty cool that this is free!

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.