New Update Sophos Tester v. 3.2.0.17 (Discontinued)

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I already shared a test tool like that from HitmanPro.Alert some months ago. This one can be used to test your AV's protection against Ransomware, credential theft and exploits. Not sure if it's working for Sophos products exclusively but I still wanted to share it for the ones interested. As I am using Sophos Home Premium at the moment I was able to get a few blocks. Here an example:

Memory exploit (Data Execution Prevention):

DEP.png

The test tool is more advanced than the HitmanPro.Alert test tool and is a little bit newer. Last version seems to be from 2019.

Download page: https://www.hasslinger.com/downloads/sophos/SophosTester-v3217.zip

Feel free to share your results! :)

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Microsoft Defender with ConfigureDefender at MAX settings could be quite interesting for this testing scenario for example:

Scenario:
Screenshot 2022-01-31 182129.png

ConfigureDefender ASR rules:
Screenshot 2022-01-31 181937.png

Anyone can try that? :unsure:

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nice. Same results like everybody else with BitDefender, every "attack" succeeded. Seems to be treated as a "Trusted" vendor.

EDIT: Like, seriously, how can you release a "test your antivirus tool" and digitally sign it with a well-known certificate such as Sophos? Like... LOL, these results are to be expected

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Nice. Same results like everybody else with BitDefender, every "attack" succeeded. Seems to be treated as a "Trusted" vendor.

EDIT: Like, seriously, how can you release a "test your antivirus tool" and digitally sign it with a well-known certificate such as Sophos? Like... LOL, these results are to be expected
Better than for example Ransim Ransomware Simulator by KnowBe4 that already gets detected before you can even run a test. 😄

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.