Hot Take Soulbound's Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 settings (adaptable)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 in one of my gaming systems.

I initially reviewed @harlan4096 KSCF 2019 tweaks and then compared to the default ones when I installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2020.

Below are the only settings I changed from default. Some are not applicable for Kaspersky Antivirus/Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.
Also, one important note: Rootkit scan was only disabled after Kaspersky had automatically run a Rootkit scan and deemed system clean.

I also have the Kaspersky Extension in Chrome/Firefox disabled.

Settings:

General:
- Interactive protection - Perform Recommended Actions Automatically - unticked

Protection:
Turned off (for my needs but I will leave Recommended and Optional references)
- Mail Anti-Virus (Optional/Recommended only if you use a mail client like Mozilla Thunderbird/Microsoft Outlook (office) etc)
- Private Browsing (Optional) - If you choose to have it enabled, change the setting within to Block all data collection as opposed to Only gather statistics
- Software Updater (Optional)
- Anti-Banner (Optional) - I personally rely on uBlock Origin for such task.
- Anti-Spam (Optional/Recommended only if you use a mail client like Mozilla Thunderbird/Microsoft Outlook (office) etc))
- Safe Money (Recommended)

Within Protection settings:
File Anti-Virus settings:
- Action on threat - Disinfect, if not possible - Block
- Advanced settings - Heuristics - Light Scan

Web Anti-virus settings:
- Advanced settings - Scan Methods - Check the URL against the database of URLs containing legitimate applications that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data

Sytem Watcher settings:
- Exploit Prevention - On threat detection Block Action
- Application Activity control - Delete the Application
- Rollback of applications actions - Rollback

Application Manager:
Depending how you installed the software if you have the following or not: Note that you can achieve similar results using a standalone product called Unchecky

Ticked:
- During installation of applications, automatically clear check boxes for installation of additional software. Warn about any attempts to install additional programs
- Do not display installation steps that may contain advertisements and offers to install additional programs

- PC Cleaner - unticked

Performance:
Search for software that is intended to conceal traces of a malicious program in the system (rootkits) - Unticked only after the first automatic Rootkit scan is complete

Additional:
Network settings:
Encrypted connection scanning - Do not scan encrypted connections - Unticked

Notifications:
News notifications and Promotional materials sections unticked

Also remember: the first full scan can take quite some time, but afterwards will be faster. It is not like you need to do a full scan every few days.

Order of scans after Kaspersky was installed on my machine:
Manually run Quick Scan
wait for Rootkit Scan to start and finish
Manually run Full Scan
(optional) - before Full scan, run Vulnerability Scan (I didnt run because I ran not long ago before reinstalling Kaspersky)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
One note as I had some questions:

File Antivirus settings heuristics by default is Light, however Full Scan settings is defaulted to Medium Heuristics (you can access Full Scan Settings under the Scan Option and clicking on the Clog Wheel.

As such, it is important to run the Full Scan at least once every once in awhile.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
As I have already commented many times in different threads in this forum, I never run Full Scans... only Quick Scan tweaked to Deep + All FIles and all Compound Files + some system specific/risky folders where usually malware is placed...

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As I have already commented many times in different threads in this forum, I never run Full Scans... only Quick Scan tweaked to Deep + All FIles and all Compound Files + some system specific/risky folders where usually malware is placed...
yeah depending on the usage of the system, having quick scan tweaked to deep etc is handy to. I personally run a Full Scan only once in awhile. But that is because I know the system is safe to some extend.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I know that I'm late to this discussion but I have one question about full scan.
Doesn't full scan create iCheker or iSwift data on non-system drives also and by this makes later scans faster (probably also real-time file antivirus component when accessing those files)?
I usually run full scan right after install and it always creates klmeta.dat file on all drives. I assume that this is file with data meant to speed up KIS operations later.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I know that I'm late to this discussion but I have one question about full scan.
Doesn't full scan create iCheker or iSwift data on non-system drives also and by this makes later scans faster (probably also real-time file antivirus component when accessing those files)?
I usually run full scan right after install and it always creates klmeta.dat file on all drives. I assume that this is file with data meant to speed up KIS operations later.
You are not late. I still have Kaspersky Internet Security in one system
by default it does create both iSwift and iChecker. I have 3 drives, one is excluded but the other two are not.
I actually ran a full scan yesterday and indeed was quicker. Granted nothing much was changed, just some windows updates (not the 2004 version) and a few software updates + 2 games patches.

took around 50% less time than last time I ran.

avpui_bY05f5Gcbs.png

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Thnx for this info and comparison @Soulbound
After checking my logs I didn't notice much speed increase during my second scan performed one week after first. I guess that signatures and files changed so much that data had to be recreated.
I'm more interested to find out how much faster is file antivirus when accessing files on HDD drives if it uses data collected during full scan. Next time I install KIS I won't run full scan and I might notice some difference in performance of RT file antivirus component.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thnx for this info and comparison @Soulbound
After checking my logs I didn't notice much speed increase during my second scan performed one week after first. I guess that signatures and files changed so much that data had to be recreated.
I'm more interested to find out how much faster is file antivirus when accessing files on HDD drives if it uses data collected during full scan. Next time I install KIS I won't run full scan and I might notice some difference in performance of RT file antivirus component.
the easiest way to test is using a VM
that way you can use a clean and literally empty system with perhaps a couple of applications only.

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have notice after installed kaspersky free edition that in every partition i have this file klmeta.dat on every volume/partition
in the folder System Volume Information
why? what does it store?
thanks

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello at all,

are there updated settings for KIS 2021 - There are some settings that seem different or are totally different to find. Have a Laptop and would like to use settings that make KIS 2021 safe to use but do not know what to rly look for.

Thank you in advance
Val.

Reactions: oldschool

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Probably only a few were renamed, but not difficult to know... there was a GUI revamped, and settings were moved of location, but most are still there and with the same names...

Which are Your settings?

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
@harlan4096 - Think I got it know - Since I installed KIS in German the settings are very different - Thanks to the Kaspersky Dev. Team with the Hotkey - Shift+F12 (Switches the Language to English) the Shift+F5 (To switch back to native language) in the KIS main menu - I could find lots of settings again and got it set up. :)

Best regards
Val.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.