Soulweave's Windows System

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Linux Project complete.

Moved away from Bodhi Linux, Arch Linux etc (only reason to move from Arch was still same old: maintenance).

Settled to run on Bare Metal Linux Mint (well saves me time to do majority of tweaks and is stable).
Updates:
Linux Distributions rely on same HOME partition:
Linux Mint Cinnamon; Linux Mint MATE and Linux Mint XFCE

Stock Kernel provided by Linux Mint (no need to custom the Kernel)
PPA Manager
ZSH shell (replacement of BASH)
Oh My ZSH extension
TLP
Grub Customizer
Timeshift (Backup Tool)
GIT
Synaptic tweaks such as: Consider recommended packages as dependencies
Removed some stock apps and replaced with others

Some other quality of life apps and tweaks (reference guide for those who wish to tweak to a certain extend: 10 things to do first in Linux Mint 18 Sarah - Easy Linux tips project)

On VirtualBox I run for testing purposes and tweakings Debian Stable Branch with Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE
Oh My ZSH extension
Synaptic Package Manager
apt-xapian-index
Gdebi
Gksu
TLP
Grub Customizer
GIT
UFW and GUFW

Additional tweaks on Debian system were made.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Linux Project complete.

Moved away from Bodhi Linux, Arch Linux etc (only reason to move from Arch was still same old: maintenance).

Settled to run on Bare Metal Linux Mint (well saves me time to do majority of tweaks and is stable).
Updates:
Linux Distributions rely on same HOME partition:
Linux Mint Cinnamon; Linux Mint MATE and Linux Mint XFCE

Stock Kernel provided by Linux Mint (no need to custom the Kernel)
PPA Manager
Oh My ZSH extension
TLP
Grub Customizer
Timeshift (Backup Tool)
GIT

Some other quality of life apps and tweaks (reference guide for those who wish to tweak to a certain extend: 10 things to do first in Linux Mint 18 Sarah - Easy Linux tips project)

On VirtualBox I run for testing purposes and tweakings Debian Stable Branch with Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE
Oh My ZSH extension
Synaptic Package Manager
apt-xapian-index
Gdebi
Gksu
TLP
Grub Customizer
GIT
UFW and GUFW

sorry for my silly question, "bare metal" in your description is direct virtualization atop of hardware? what software do you use to setup that?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
sorry for my silly question, "bare metal" in your description is direct virtualization atop of hardware? what software do you use to setup that?
bare metal: no virtualization, so basically full install. Its a 4 OS boot system (3 Linux 1 Windows).

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Update:
Ditched all distros: MATE tho nice and feels like good old Gnome2, I still prefer XFCE.

Quad boot no longer. Instead:

Currently running Xubuntu 16.04 on a dual boot system managed by Grub2 (W10).
Daily drivers are actually either Linux or Windows 10, depending on what I am doing (excluding gaming which is solely done in Windows).

Xubuntu 16.04:
Stock kernel by Xubuntu + mainline compiled kernel
PPA Manager
Oh My ZSH extension
TLP
Grub Customizer
Timeshift (Backup Tool)
GIT

On other systems I run one or another of the following:
Debian Stable Branch with XFCE
Oh My ZSH extension
Synaptic Package Manager
apt-xapian-index
Gdebi
Gksu
TLP
Grub Customizer
GIT
UFW and GUFW

Arch Linux with XFCE (Kernel 4.8.7 as well as LTS):
Oh My ZSH extension
Pacman
tkpacman
Pamac
TLP
AUR repos enabled
Custom rules for certain packages and dependencies to not be upgraded
GIT
UFW and GUFW
Other tweaks on the system

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I am so jealous, I wish i can get a Secure Stamp from the staff, Is it possible to copy your config on Linux Mint Cinnamon?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thank you!!! @SpawnIts such a great feeling for a novice knowing that his PC is secured. :)

@Soulweave Tryed out your config with Mint Cinnanom and I seem to have an easier time with ubuntu. Attempting to migrate with oh-my-zsh, lets hope I am doing it properly.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
zsh is a slightly different shell and having the omz plugin makes things easier or harder depending on user knowledge.

Ubuntu and mint despite having same base they have totally different tweaks. Same as Ubuntu vs xubuntu.

if I build an Ubuntu lts and mimic xubuntu it will still be have different due to tweaks under the hood.

I have heavily customized all three types of distro that I use, but I only listed some programs i use since the tweaks etc are not recommended for new users.

I would suggest a 6 month trial in virtual box before you attempt the switch. This applies to zsh she'll as well.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for the advice!!! Still experimenting with it in VMware, you have no idea how many times I had to restore my snapshots, LoL!! its a very fun and challenging task, in awe of you and many others here that seem to make it so easy.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hows that config for Xubuntu 16.04 running ?
You know I love Mint, but I have been flirting with the idea of
swapping to Xubuntu, the images on google look very nice but
in some circles and support forums I see boot issues prevalent ?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Hows that config for Xubuntu 16.04 running ?
You know I love Mint, but I have been flirting with the idea of
swapping to Xubuntu, the images on google look very nice but
in some circles and support forums I see boot issues prevalent ?
Xubuntu works just as LM XFCE. differences are in software loaded and some under the hood tweaks.

I only added Xubuntu as a dual boot because I couldnt be asked to do the tweaks on a Debian system.

When I have time I will ditch the Xubuntu. I also use Xubuntu due to PPAs for themes etc, but can easily migrate them in a Debian system, just takes some time to set up properly.

security.paranoid

Level 2
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
hahahaha linux kernel and selinux :D

when_they_ask_you_what_antivirus_you_use_in_linux.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
no antimalware installed :eek: are you kidding me ? ok im out ^_^

Under Linux distros, the update of bugs and flaws that could allow some system infections is very different compared to Windows, and it is done immediately after discovering a problem, making immediately available the update .
Therefore, it is clear as to Linux it is much less important to use an antivirus, although in some cases recommended.
I have friends, developers at a professional level that use Linux, and they don't use AV, and they have never had poblems of this kind.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Currently playing with Peppermint OS 7 Respin.
Not bad for a distro but doubt I will see myself using that much enough to fully convert it into daily driver.

Most likely go Xubuntu/Lubuntu route with heavy customization instead (current Xubuntu is minimally tweaked). Tests being conducted in VBOX

Reactions: XIII

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.