Spam Mail Through VM?

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Hello, as the title says... i have been testing out some malware in a VM. And i have noticed lately like 1-2 months that i have gotten alot of spam in my mail, my main.

Can it somehow be connected to the malware testing? If so, please explain!

Thanks! Best Regards,

Zerion :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
If your VM was well set, and without personal data inside, I don't think malware can access to this info (your personal mail).
When testing, have you seen some VM exit implementations (Or other sorts of malware protection against VM ) ?

Have you used your main mail 2 months ago for a subscription ? (on-line or on a real store)
=> this is mostly how spams begins (e-mails are info quickly sold / shared)

Last edited:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
If your VM was well set, and without personal data inside, I don't think malware can access to this info (your personal mail).
When testing, have you seen some VM exit implementations (Or other sorts of malware protection against VM ) ?

Have you used your main mail 2 months ago for a subscription ? (on-line or on a real store)
=> this is mostly how spams begins (e-mails are info quickly sold / shared)

The only thing is that i logged in to MT on the VM... i have not seen any exit implementations, and no i have not used my mail for a sub.. it's really wierd.. :O

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
The only thing is that i logged in to MT on the VM... i have not seen any exit implementations, and no i have not used my mail for a sub.. it's really weird.. :O
"The only thing is that i logged in to MT on the VM"
=> real data used in VM environment with malware tested !?
==> never do this if you has also tested some malware ! You make real data potentially intercepted by malware and send to somebody :confused:
==> It's easy for some malware to get your logging information ...

Your main e-mail is on MalwareTips ?
On the login info ? Or you use a secondary e-mail ?
What sort of spam do you receive ? With attachments ?

Last edited:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
"The only thing is that i logged in to MT on the VM"
=> real data used in VM environment with malware tested !?
==> never do this if you has also tested some malware ! You make real data potentially intercepted by malware and send to somebody :confused:
==> It's easy for some malware to get your logging information ...

Your main e-mail is on MalwareTips ?
On the login info ? Or you use a secondary e-mail ?
What sort of spam do you receive ? With attachments ?

Well, i just logged in as soon as i created it while it's clean, then saved the login info to check the forum.. That might be it then, thoight it was safe if i did like that... No attachments, just some dating, work interviewes, deals, etc..

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Well, i just logged in as soon as i created it while it's clean, then saved the login info to check the forum.. That might be it then, thoight it was safe if i did like that... No attachments, just some dating, work interviewes, deals, etc..
So there may be no relation :)
I have got several e-mail, and almost all receive some spam :)

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
So there may be no relation :)
I have got several e-mail, and almost all receive some spam :)

I have no idea how to get rid of them aswell.. and a funny thing is, when i opened some malware links, my AV on my host computer blocked it, not the one on the WM, so like.. it seems they are connected, like... i don't know, it's weird :O

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
If you receive spam, that's because now your mail is known, you can do nothing to forbid someone to send you a mail :)
But :
- on some mails, you may be able to "unsubscribe".
- If no possibility to do this, look your e-mail account options.
=> for example, I ask to put in the spam folder all these unwanted mails, and ban some ips, etc...
(With my outlook 2010 program, I can Block the sender, create rules, let my AV use its anti-spam option. I also can choose to make Outlook not to retrieve spam from my externals e-mail accounts)

About the behavior between your real OS and you VM, I wonder if you set all the option to isolate completely the VM.
As I don't use VM to test malware (Shadow Defender, all drive under Bitlocker), you need the opinion of another member :oops:

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thank you so much mate! I will check the mail and see! I will look into Shadow Defender aswell! :D
You are welcome :)

VM is certainly the best solution, but need to be well set up :)
With Shadow Defender, take care because all your personal data are accessible, even if protected (a malware can easily read, send on a url some info, etc).
When I make test with Shadow Defender, only my C: with system is available (no personal files on it, all the other drives are "invisible" (bitlocker, disconnected, etc).

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I suggest you put your system through a scan & cleaning cycle
and create a new VM environment to start with.
Unsubscribe from the spam (I know this is tedious)
and see if it resumes after that.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
I suggest you put your system through a scan & cleaning cycle
and create a new VM to start with.
Unsubscribe from the spam (I know this is tedious)
and see if it resumes after that.

My system is clean, Scanned with Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Zemana, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, ADW Cleaner, CCleaner,
I unsub as much as i can, hopefully it will stop! Thanks for the answer! :)

N

NullByte

Has noting to do with it. It also depends on your e-mail provider / Where you posted your e-mail (sites, forums and so on)

PS: Never use Yahoo!

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Has noting to do with it. It also depends on your e-mail provider / Where you posted your e-mail (sites, forums and so on)

PS: Never use Yahoo!

I said earlier what i did, but im trying to gt rid of it now, using Hotmail adress ☺️

Reactions: Logethica
N

NullByte

The thing with a lot of e-mail providers is that even if you make a new account and you don't post anything anywhere you will still get spam. You can test this by yourself (in a few weeks after you made the account you will notice spam).

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
The only e-mail where I don't receive spam, it's my provider mail : I don't use it to send mail, only to receive mail from the provider.
All the other free e-mail account I have received spam.
Now, with new e-mail account, I create an alias, and if I neede to register somewhere, I give it.
If spam => I delete this alias and create another

Last edited:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Bit off topic, but still not.. hehe

So, i installed Vmware to try it out, same as with other wm's, when i press malware url's in the wm to test. My Bitdefender reacts, should it be like that? That somehow means they are connected and malware could have come to my real computer if it was not for bitdefender which blocked it?

And how else am i going to get the samples on the wm if not downloading them? Which i have to login to?

Sorry for some stupid questions..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.