Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Not sure why Lockdown always has to rant about "average Joe's". Cylance is CRAP if you're an average Joe or an admin.
I used Norton about 20 years ago... Most recently I was using either KIS2017 or EAM. Like them both. I like AI or the idea / potential of ML / AI so I decided to give cylance another try and it's been smooth and light, not crappy at all. DA was slow due to checking everything in the cloud. Don't know if DA has gotten better.
"resistance is futile" the BORG.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The web portal gives you information on what threats have been found, what has been quarantined, stats on what others have done, deleted, waived etc... but it is just read only you can't make actually changes like waving a file.

I think there is some user input on the cylance portal, and if there's something user cannot do, and for sure user is limited, cybrforce will listen to your input and make an adjustment. But must say, I've done little in the portal the past few months. I've had no need. Having said that, great to hear that DA is headed home.

Reactions: AtlBo

Lockdown, your comment re cylance is "correct" from my experience as a current cybrforce user. I can get into a cylance web portal and see what's going on, I think I have limited access to deal with detected files but since I have had no malware alerts since it's initial background scan of the system immediately after installation, I don't really recall how much "power" I have. User is limited. That's been ok for me. It is not my only protection and I can tweak other stuff. The few items cylance found on its initial scan were understandable to me looking at them from cylance's point of view. :geek: and cylance is light on the system. I've read conflicting accounts of whether you should or can run cylance with another av. I do not. occasionally I run an on-demand scan from various vendors. nada_nada :D

The thing that people do not get is that CYLANCE serves the government and enterprise markets and focuses all is efforts on those markets. Whereas it makes its product available to the general public for those that want to buy it. Otherwise I would bet CYLANCE is content selling only to the government and enterprise sector.

CYLANCE deliberately configures CYLANCEProtect for the Average Joe as it currently is and from what I have read in the past CYLANCE is not going to change it. Ask CYLANCE for the reasons why they aren't going to change it. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. :unsure:

It makes no sense to me to run CYLANCE with another AV.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
The thing that people do not get is that CYLANCE serves the government and enterprise markets and focuses all is efforts on those markets. Whereas it makes its product available to the general public for those that want to buy it. Otherwise I would bet CYLANCE is content selling only to the government and enterprise sector.

CYLANCE deliberately configures CYLANCEProtect for the Average Joe as it currently is and from what I have read in the past CYLANCE is not going to change it. Ask CYLANCE for the reasons why they aren't going to change it. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. :unsure:

It makes no sense to me to run CYLANCE with another AV.

I think it makes perfect sense, it is the logical next step, a mix of signature based and AI based, the signature based to stop everything we know about and the AI based to react immediately to new threats well before a signature updates to stop it.

From the limited testing I have done however Cylance does not catch everything so I don't trust it fully to protect my system, at least not by itself, so I run a signature based AV underneath it. I had been using ESET and it worked great but switched back to Kaspersky, at least until my license expires. I have no conflicts using the two together and what Cylance missed Kaspersky gets, granted it is a little overkill but nice to have both.

Hopefully DeepArmor will be better and completely negate the need for signature based, only time will tell.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think it makes perfect sense, it is the logical next step, a mix of signature based and AI based, the signature based to stop everything we know about and the AI based to react immediately to new threats well before a signature updates to stop it.

From the limited testing I have done however Cylance does not catch everything so I don't trust it fully to protect my system, at least not by itself, so I run a signature based AV underneath it. I had been using ESET and it worked great but switched back to Kaspersky, at least until my license expires. I have no conflicts using the two together and what Cylance missed Kaspersky gets, granted it is a little overkill but nice to have both.

Hopefully DeepArmor will be better and completely negate the need for signature based, only time will tell.
Are you using ESET IS/KIS or just ESET AV/KAV? Thanks

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

conflicts, sure, but performance issues?
I would only use Cyclane if it were to fully replace an AV, unless it's light as a feather

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
conflicts, sure, but performance issues?
I would only use Cyclane if it were to fully replace an AV, unless it's light as a feather

cylance seems really light on my win7x64. not running another av with cP, although I've read other posts (spiceworks) that's it's doable. I am running other security app(s) and I'll do an on-demand scan with hmp or eek occasionally.

Reactions: AtlBo and mekelek

No need!its just waste of money cuz both Eset and Kaspersky use machine learning technology.
Machine learning by ESET: The road to Augur
Machine learning in Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows
Even windows defender has it:How Windows Defender’s Artificial Intelligence stopped malware

All of the major AVs use Machine Learning and have been for years. The whole Ai\Machine Learning "NextGen" marketing blitz of the past few years is nothing but a gimmick.It's just a repackaging of what has been there for a long time and making people think they are getting something new. Anyone who understands antivirus understands this basic truth. The machine learning part, has been a part of backend operations for a long time. A crude, basic way to differentiate between Ai and ML is that Ai is autonomous whereas ML uses supplied algorithms.

If I recall correctly, ESET was one of the first to utilize ML back in the 1990s. So any product that is touted as "NextGen" is late to the game when ESET and products of that era were "NextGen."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
I've just receive my 15 days trail form sparkcognition and i started a few test's of the DEEPARMOR ... But it's not the thing that i was expected from them.
Detect Every Dll. lib that i use like this one ...
deep.PNG
I Think it's a good start for this type of anti malware engine with A.I but not the best for now.I believe that the results are not so prefect because the engine need's more information like more file samples so the A.I engine can start Recognize with better precision.
I'm not the best AV tester but this is my impressions for DEEPARMOR.
The GUI SCORE : 100/100 perfect for the needs of the end usher not expert.
The Performance for scanning 90/100
Complete Performance of the program 80/100
I Like the Idea behind the software and i hope spark will continue with development and updating their A.I Software.
P.S sorry for the bad English.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Our lab has been working with Spark Cognition for a few weeks now. It's a very interesting product to say the least, and covers areas Cylance doesn't. I have some sort of long duration, extended license for it as some swag in the deal.

Also, pro-tip. They have a web based emulation for this product that allows you to upload samples to it and see how the engine will react to it as if it is installed on a local system. THAT is fun to play with and pack testing is a SNAP. However access to that is a closely guarded secret and only given out to people with a nice *@Domain appended to their email so general populace will never see it.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

No longer doing business with them, was testing their DeepArmor BETA since first release, after they released their Enterprise product, DeepArmor disbanded any BETA licenses to be used anymore, nor gave any discount for continued product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.