Custom RTP, Firewall and OS settings
Limiting apps from outside Play Store
Scan all unknown sources
Malware testing
No malware samples
Periodic security scanners
Google Advanced Protection
Browsers, Search and Addons
Bitwarden, Pocket, Windscribe, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Stylus, Violentmonkey, The Great Suspender, Pandora, Clip Cloud, LinkPeelr, SponsorBlock, Recorded Future Express, WebRTC Network Limiter, Universal Bypass, Bypass Paywalls
Maintenance and Cleaning
SD Maid Pro (Android)
Personal Files & Photos backup
Google One
Personal backup routine
Automatic (scheduled)
Device recovery & backup
Google One
Device backup routine
Manual (maintained by self)
PC activity
  1. PC and cloud gaming. 
  2. Banking. 
  3. Browsing the web. 
  4. Streaming. 
  5. Browsing to unknown sites. 
  6. Working from home. 
  7. Multimedia. 
Computer specs
Personal changelog
22nd August - Initial, removed Guest mode, updated to 84. Updated screenshots.
20th September - Added & configured Tor browser.

SpiderWeb

Level 5
Aug 21, 2020
Why not use Chrome in ChromeOS?
I use Chrome 99% of the time. But I have it configured and hardened to the point where a few websites with tons of trackers no longer work. I fire up Firefox if I need to log into corporate sites that don't log in on Chrome because too many redirects or strange third party cookies for example. I also use Firefox if a site is unencrypted. I have to go through too many steps to whitelist a HTTP site on Chrome lol. It's faster to quickly glance in Firefox and then leave. But sometimes that's not enough. I use Tor browser because the tweaks I made in Chrome and Firefox improve security but at the price of having a unique browser fingerprint. I also want to access sites that I find interesting without worrying if something is tracking me.

The main reason is, a sense of freedom of choice. Chrome OS can feel claustrophobic when you are locked into Google's ecosystem after a while. Firefox, Tor open a window. Many of the apps in the screenshot were installed through terminal for Linux or sideloaded via adb because Google lied that they were not compatible when they are. (y)

SecurityNightmares

Level 40
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
ChromeOS is already harden so you don't need change anything in Chrome. If you do, you only make you unique and get the problems you describe ;)

ChromeOS on Chromebook is one of the most secure OS. Windows on Surface devices are good too but sadly both are still behind iOS and Android.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
1. What's the default font on ChromeOS?

2. Are you able to prevent Chrome Web Store extensions from installing? Example; blocking the site, but allowing existing extensions to update?

3. Do installed apps/extensions request user permissions?

4. Are there any full disk encryption options?