About custom security
Limiting apps from outside Play Store
Scan all unknown sources
Periodic malware scanners
Google Advanced Protection
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Bitwarden, Pocket, Windscribe, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Stylus, Violentmonkey, The Great Suspender, Pandora, Clip Cloud, LinkPeelr, SponsorBlock, Recorded Future Express, WebRTC Network Limiter, Universal Bypass, Bypass Paywalls
Maintenance tools
SD Maid Pro (Android)
File and Photo backup
Google One
System recovery
Google One
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
22nd August - Initial, removed Guest mode, updated to 84. Updated screenshots.
20th September - Added & configured Tor browser.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Why not use Chrome in ChromeOS?
I use Chrome 99% of the time. But I have it configured and hardened to the point where a few websites with tons of trackers no longer work. I fire up Firefox if I need to log into corporate sites that don't log in on Chrome because too many redirects or strange third party cookies for example. I also use Firefox if a site is unencrypted. I have to go through too many steps to whitelist a HTTP site on Chrome lol. It's faster to quickly glance in Firefox and then leave. But sometimes that's not enough. I use Tor browser because the tweaks I made in Chrome and Firefox improve security but at the price of having a unique browser fingerprint. I also want to access sites that I find interesting without worrying if something is tracking me.

The main reason is, a sense of freedom of choice. Chrome OS can feel claustrophobic when you are locked into Google's ecosystem after a while. Firefox, Tor open a window. Many of the apps in the screenshot were installed through terminal for Linux or sideloaded via adb because Google lied that they were not compatible when they are. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

ChromeOS is already harden so you don't need change anything in Chrome. If you do, you only make you unique and get the problems you describe ;)

ChromeOS on Chromebook is one of the most secure OS. Windows on Surface devices are good too but sadly both are still behind iOS and Android.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1. What's the default font on ChromeOS?

2. Are you able to prevent Chrome Web Store extensions from installing? Example; blocking the site, but allowing existing extensions to update?

3. Do installed apps/extensions request user permissions?

4. Are there any full disk encryption options?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.