New Update SponsorBlock - skip sponsor videos on YouTube

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Recently found new add-on which skips sponsor content on YouTube and it's fantastic.

- Now I truly don't see any ads on YouTube with this and uBlock Origin combination
- It saves a lot of time
- Available for most of the browsers

SponsorBlock is an open-source crowdsourced browser extension to skip sponsor segments in YouTube videos. Users submit when a sponsor happens from the extension, and the extension automatically skips sponsors it knows about. It also supports skipping other categories, such as intros, outros and reminders to subscribe.

I highly recommend to give it a try.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It does not block youtube ADs and its options are hard to read. Overall, it looks very amateurish.

Attachments

• capture_08282020_213601.jpg
    capture_08282020_213601.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 422
  • capture_08282020_213232.jpg
    capture_08282020_213232.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 180

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
The objective of this extension isn't to block YouTube ads.
The extension's purpose is to auto-skip the parts of a video where the content creator talks about their sponsors within the video itself. I believe this is geared towards people who want to skip the "fluff" in a video and go directly to the content.

For example:
iqpUhhlh.png

The highlighted green portion in the seek bar is the sponsor message and will be auto-skipped by default.
There are options to skip introductions/intermissions (light blue in seek bar), credits (dark blue in seek bar), interaction reminders such as asking to "like and subscribe" (purple in the seek bar), and non-music parts of music videos as well but these are disabled by default.

I tested it with a few Linus Tech Tip videos and it performed well. Since it's crowd sourced, not all videos will be in the database. However, you do have the ability to submit your own segments/time stamps to be included in the database.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The objective of this extension isn't to block YouTube ads.
The extension's purpose is to auto-skip the parts of a video where the content creator talks about their sponsors within the video itself. I believe this is geared towards people who want to skip the "fluff" in a video and go directly to the content.

For example:
iqpUhhlh.png

The highlighted green portion in the seek bar is the sponsor message and will be auto-skipped by default.
There are options to skip introductions/intermissions (light blue in seek bar), credits (dark blue in seek bar), interaction reminders such as asking to "like and subscribe" (purple in the seek bar), and non-music parts of music videos as well but these are disabled by default.

I tested it with a few Linus Tech Tip videos and it performed well. Since it's crowd sourced, not all videos will be in the database. However, you do have the ability to submit your own segments/time stamps to be included in the database.

Ok, that now make sense, otherwise i had it labeled as garbage, but from your explanation it can be of use depending on the user preference. Thanks Champ

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I tested it with a few Linus Tech Tip videos and it performed well.
Linus himself explained, why sponsors are needed. It will only force youtube's hand to make youtube paid faster. If people are lazy to even move the slider, we are doomed to pay, then complain. I myself do not even block ADs and I hardly notice them. It is just the current trend, like disabling all privacy/telemetry in 10.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Linus himself explained, why sponsors are needed. It will only force youtube's hand to make youtube paid faster. If people are lazy to even move the slider, we are doomed to pay, then complain. I myself do not even block ADs and I hardly notice them. It is just the current trend, like disabling all privacy/telemetry in 10.

I would have agreed with you if there were only ad's in the video, but when they have ad's on the page or pages and tracking me too, that's abuse of power i have a major OCD for that kind of stuff ain't happening on my pc whether i have to end up paying or not, to each his own.
There mind set and people attitude to give in is what make them feel it is right and they can do as they please.
So sorry ain't happening here not by accident.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would have agreed with you if there were only ad's in the video, but when they have ad's on the page or pages and tracking me too, that's abuse of power i have a major OCD for that kind of stuff ain't happening on my pc whether i have to end up paying or not, to each his own.
I block tracking and you would not believe, how extremely difficult it was to find a suitable anti-tracking, especially since googleadsense is considered tracking, duh. I have managed to find the proper balance, even though some ads still get blocked, but webpages, that rely on ads, like astats, work. :)

Attachments

• capture_08292020_022243.jpg
    capture_08292020_022243.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 216
  • capture_08292020_022452.jpg
    capture_08292020_022452.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 193
  • capture_08102020_10330200.jpg
    capture_08102020_10330200.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 236

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Most of the people i know don't even have an ad's blocker on there mobile phone, so you know how much money they making! If a few people blocking ad's on desktop and they say it killing them and they making billions it just goes to show how greedy them really is, then comes along a person tell others that blocking ad's stopping them from making money, yeah right! Small business i will be incline to believe that, but youtube, google, facebook, instagram, twitter and microsoft you got to be kidding me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.