SpyShelter Free

Product name
Spyshelter Free 12.3
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The only thing which is not intuitive is when you want to clear a log, this option only appears when you right click on the log
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I use the HIPS and Firewall with setting auto-allow Microsoft signed. For someone with an all Microsoft setup (Win10 + Defender+ Office + Edge + Store apps for media etc))this is a really nice addition to the other great software from Poland (Simple Windows Hardening and ConfigureDefender)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Easy to use
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
Negatives
    • Not for beginners
    • Short on configuration options
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Self build from redundant PC's of relatives- Intel I7 970 with 8 GB RAM Nvidia GT730 and 2xSSD plus 2xHD
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
My advice would be never using "TDI Firewall Driver" by SpyShelter, I tried out recently on my system (Windows 10 ) and was running into issues, so looks like it's better to keep default "WFP Firewall Driver"

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My advice would be never using "TDI Firewall Driver" by SpyShelter, I tried out recently on my system (Windows 10 ) and was running into issues, so looks like it's better to keep default "WFP Firewall Driver"
You know whether can disable the default WFW when using SFW or is SFW piggyback on WFW ie it is just a GUI front for WFW like Tinywall?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You know whether can disable the default WFW when using SFW or is SFW piggyback on WFW ie it is just a GUI front for WFW like Tinywall?
I don't really know, but I believe it's better to keep WFW enabled in order to avoid serious issues in your OS (Windows10). Spyshelter itself is mainly developed to work together with WFW, so probably there is a reason why WFW isn't automatically disabled by SpyShelter as we know from other 3rd-party Firewalls like Comodo...

Of course, to be sure at all, you may like to contact the support via e-mail on their homepage!

Or just waiting for @ichito he is an expert on this topic all about SpyShelter ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't really know, but I believe it's better to keep WFW enabled in order to avoid serious issues in your OS (Windows10). Spyshelter itself is mainly developed to work together with WFW, so probably there is a reason why WFW isn't automatically disabled by SpyShelter as we know from other 3rd-party Firewalls like Comodo...

Of course, to be sure at all, you may like to contact the support via e-mail on their homepage!

Or just waiting for @ichito he is an expert on this topic all about SpyShelter ;)
From what I know one can disable the Windows default firewall from the menu and Group Policy but its WFP CANNOT be disabled. I remember checking on this long time back but I kind of lost track now

Maybe someone can confirm this

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@HarborFront I agree with @silversurfer

The WFW is a service of svchost.exe, meaning it is part of the core of Windows10. In its default settings, it blocks inbound and allows outbound. How many times have you gotten a popup of WFW blocking inbound (a handful tops). So in its defaut setting it does not consume significant processing power, making the gain to disable it marginal - maybe even questionable

I like the fact that it is possible to set outbound blocks for LolBins with WFW. All these LolBins are Microsoft signed processes, so in any auto-allow setting of SpyShelter these processes would not be blocked. The combi WFW blocking M$ sponsors to go outbound and SpyShelter auto-allowing Microsoft and warning me for all other traffic, makes this a safe and easy to use combo.

So I dare to say there are benefits in keeping it enabled

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks @silversurfer :emoji_beer: :)
I'm only long-time user of SS and even perhaps not an expert. In my mashines SpyShelter is/was working without enabled system FW. Both those firewalls use the same drivers platform (WFP) but SS is by design more granular in options and features...so the choice is for me one. Of course we can argue about it and perhaps everyone could give different documented opinion but for me that all would be an artificial conflict.
If someone want to know some info abut "with or without" I can propose tose two quite old topics on Wilders

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just installed SS Free.

How to see SS blocking incoming connections? All I see are outgoings only. I have Windows default firewall disabled

Thanks
As far as I know, it's impossible to see incoming connections the same like the visible outgoing connections on the network part of settings by SpyShelter.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As far as I know, it's impossible to see incoming connections the same like the visible outgoing connections on the network part of settings by SpyShelter.
So does the paid Spyshelter Firewall allows one to see or I need to enable Windows default firewall so it'll notify if there's an incoming connection?

Or is it incoming connections are blocked by default in SS firewall (free and/or paid)?

Thanks

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@HarborFront

You can define network rules, making is straight forward (SS uses the zone concept), my guess is that undefined throws a popup (better read the manual :) )

Alternatively you could enable Windows FW for inbound control (WFW throws a popup when an unknown app receives inbound traffic)

1606478859888.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
So does the paid Spyshelter Firewall allows one to see or I need to enable Windows default firewall so it'll notify if there's an incoming connection?

Or is it incoming connections are blocked by default in SS firewall (free and/or paid)?

Thanks
Free or Paid version are the same on this point, incoming connections are invisible in settings!
You just can creating your own rules manually as said above by @Lenny_Fox

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront

You can define network rules, making is straight forward (SS uses the zone concept), my guess is that undefined throws a popup (better read the manual :) )

Alternatively you could enable Windows FW for inbound control (WFW throws a popup when an unknown app receives inbound traffic)

View attachment 249871
Because SS firewall (free) can work with or without Windows default firewall just like I disabled Windows Defender AV now that I installed WiseVector StopX and KSC free

If inbound traffic will generate a notification by SS firewall (free) that will be great. Can someone confirm this?

I see no advantages in enabling both the Windows Firewall and Defender AV even though the installed software are compatible with them. FI, I kept Windows Exploit Protection enabled.

You have different opinions?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.