spywar's config

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Comodo IS great.
For On-Demand Scanners I would recommend (since you're from Comodo)Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Extensions I would recommend WOT, Ad-Block
What is your UAC like?

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Maniac said:
For On-Demand Scanners I would recommend (since you're from Comodo)Comodo Cleaning Essentials,

CCE can now be imported inside CIS v6, i'm sure he did it.

D

Deleted member 178

Better list everything you feel useful, so other members could be inspired from you :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I only very briefly tried Comodo Dragon.Not enough to really give it a fair shake against firefox and Chrome which I primarily use.How do you like it and how does it stack up against firefox and Chrome? Maybe I will give it a whirl.Anyway nice config and thanks for sharing it :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello spywar,
Real-time protection
Don't know much about Comodo but I'm sure that it is enough if you have all the seetings configured away that you like.

Browser protection

It's essentials to know as much as possible about the web pages that you are visiting, in order to avoid different type of attacks.
I would recommend that you install a site advisor like Web of Trust which will greatly help you, while online.
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

You can also add a password manager for your browser,which should make your life on the internet a lot more safer and easier.
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Extra protection:
Because you are using a slightly older operating system which is slightly targeted by cyber criminals ,you can install the below program to prevent the exploit of different vulnerabilities that your system might have.
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Backup:
Since you don't have a backup I thought I might give you a couple of suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

McLovin, CIS v6 has full virtualization like Sandboxie (but with less options) so it is not needed.

P

Plexx

McLovin: Rollback RX is not a backup solution.

Always wonder why you recommend paid solutions of backup when free versions are just as good.

That big post layout of colors etc reminds me of Jack's posts :)

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:

haha very true, at beginning i thought it was Jack :lolz:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
haha very true, at beginning i thought it was Jack :lolz:

Biozfear said:

I've contacted one of the admins and they say they are fine with it. :)

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Just a BIG test Avast vs CIS 6.1 on a friend's pc (real pc). Avast! did a good job but still, pc was dramatically infected (sorry it was not my pc so no video). CIS 6.1 did protect the PC even with default settings.
BTW, these 2 are really great and my favourites.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Wow! spywar changes Avast for Comodo!! Does this mean that you 'll test Comodo in real PC and not on VM anymore?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Nice! I now have Avast in Win8 installation and CIS 6.1 in my win7 installation (same PC-dual boot). I also believe these two are the best products to have at the time.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Does Comodo antivirus has real time scan optimizations like Avast (Transient & Persistent cache) ot it scans everything everytime?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.