Troubleshoot SSD clone failed now I cannot install windows 10 on the new SSD drive

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
SSD drive will not boot to win 10 after a fresh install
I get the error message above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
reformatted the hard drive and install win 10
Hooked the hard to a different computer and used computer management to
reformat the hard drive.
But this did not help
clone failed on a new ssd drive I cannot get a computer to boot up with new install of win 10

I see this error
an unexpected I\O error gas occurred
file: \windows\system32\winloaded.exe
error code : 0xc00000e9

I have hooked the hard drive up external and erased it and reformatted it, then installed
win 10 but the computer will not boot I get the error above. I think it is the bootmgr but I dont know how
to fix it
Thanks in advance
Julie

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Does your UEFI recognize the new SSD? In addition to a corrupted boot partition, sometimes legacy settings in the UEFI (BIOS if legacy) such as CSM enabled will cause the boot to Windows to fail. What is the boot order in your UEFI? Try resetting UEFI to default settings.

If you search this error code online, you will get a variety of input, like this from Intel (don't necessarily have to have an Intel cpu or SSD):

I can say with confidence that your drive is seated properly; otherwise, you'd boot straight into the BIOS itself. If all else fails, prepare to RMA the drive, maybe.

Upvote 2

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
clone failed on a new ssd drive I cannot get a computer to boot up with new install of win 10

I see this error
an unexpected I\O error gas occurred
file: \windows\system32\winloaded.exe
error code : 0xc00000e9

I have hooked the hard drive up external and erased it and reformatted it, then installed
win 10 but the computer will not boot I get the error above. I think it is the bootmgr but I dont know how
to fix it
Thanks in advance
Julie

If it is the boot manager, you could always use Macrium Reflect's PE to try and fix booting.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
It seems that your EFi partition may be corrupted and that won't get deleted when you do an erase and format in windows.

If you are installing from a USB pen drive then you would have the option to delete all partitions on the SDD for a new windows install.
This option should solve the problem has it will delete all partitions on the SDD.

Also make sure your SSD is set to AHCI mode in your BIOS.

Make sure only the SSD is connected when you delete all the partitions has all data on those partition will be gone for good.
If you have another drive connected and you delete that partition you would lose all data on the drive.

Upvote 1

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes but you need to keep one thing in mind: changing firmware settings like that risks conversion of the format of your drive from gpt to mbr (legacy). You want to avoid that but in case it happens, rather than completely reformatting and installing Windows again, you can follow this guide:

In that case, when you boot the machine, you will get a black screen with the message: "operating system not found." I know cuz it happened to me. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
If you are installing from a USB pen drive then you would have the option to delete all partitions on the SDD for a new windows install.
This option should solve the problem has it will delete all partitions on the SDD.

I have done the above by deleting all the partitions on the ssd drive and it doesnt solve the problem. I have installed about many SSD drives in
computers at this point and it only has happened once before and both times it was when I had the clone fail and i tried to reformat the
SSD and start over.
SO I was thinking something in the partition of the SSD is not getting erased. ONLY the ssd drive is installed not over drive is in the computer.

Julie

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
The same thing happened to me last winter, I replaced the hdd on a 6yr old laptop with a ssd and as @plat said I had to change the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI.
I also had to change it to secure boot but I would just try the boot mode first. Are you able to enter your computers bios @Rozesky2 ?
yes I can enter the bios, but I found in order to install win10 off a flash drive I had to enable legacy mode
so win 10 is installled under legacy mode but I cannot get into win10 to follow some other directions to change it to UEFI

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
yes I can enter the bios, but I found in order to install win10 off a flash drive I had to enable legacy mode
so win 10 is installled under legacy mode but I cannot get into win10 to follow some other directions to change it to UEFI
I believe I used a partition management app to change MBR to GPT but I honestly don't remember. Definitely follow Plat's lead .

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
This thread may be helpful.
In order to change to GPT, it is necessary to boot from a disk other than the target disk (when using mbr2gpt.exe).

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I entered the eufi and reset the secure boot and changed from legacy mode back to the other , erased the ssd drive
and reinstalled win 10 but I still get the same error after installing and trying to boot to win 10.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
It seems that your EFi partition may be corrupted and that won't get deleted when you do an erase and format in windows.

Also make sure your SSD is set to AHCI mode in your BIOS.

Make sure only the SSD is connected when you delete all the partitions has all data on those partition will be gone for good.
If you have another drive connected and you delete that partition you would lose all data on the drive.

Yes I did all of this with the deleting all the partitions on the SSD and reformatting and installing win 10 but again I get the same error code.
but I did not set the SSD to AHCI mode in the bios

Reactions: Sorrento
Upvote 0

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Now if I were you I would download a new Win 10 ISO and create a bookable USB using Rufus. I suspect that the installation media is corrupted.

Have you tested that on another device?

One more thing, I believe you should disconnect every other hard drives except for the one you are installing Windows on and after successful installation you connect them back.

• +Reputation
Reactions: show-Zi and mkoundo
Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Yes I did all of this with the deleting all the partitions on the SSD and reformatting and installing win 10 but again I get the same error code.
but I did not set the SSD to AHCI mode in the bios
Seems more of a user error, your Windows ISO may be corrupt and I suggest you reset the BIOS settings.

If your MB doesn't even detect the UEFI boot while trying to boot Windows 10 Setup, it means UEFI is not working on your PC and will default to Legacy.

You do not need any third-party software to convert your disk to anything, Windows does that by default depending on boot mode you used, and you can launch command prompt from Setup to do that manually if you wish.

• +Reputation
Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Now if I were you I would download a new Win 10 ISO and create a bookable USB using Rufus. I suspect that the installation media is corrupted.

Have you tested that on another device?

One more thing, I believe you should disconnect every other hard drives except for the one you are installing Windows on and after successful installation you connect them back.
I was a little worried yesterday that the computer itself was having problems, so I bought a new SSD from best buy and used the win10 ISO to install win10 on
it with the computer and that worked fine . So the win10 ISO is fine. Win 10 is up and running on the computer with the new SSD.
Good thinking on disconnecting everything when I install, I always do that so that was done when I installed.

I am going to keep the other new SSD installed on the computer. So now my only other problem is why that 1st SSD drive keeps giving me that error
when I try to boot from it. There has to be a boot record or something still on the hard drive even thou I did a "clean all" and erased everything to reinstall
win 10.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.