Troubleshoot Start application icons missing, unable to open. Calculator/Paint etc

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
So since removing startgo123 spyware, my start icons appear to have disappeared and the files wont open - it's like the shortcut has been deleted, but it still appears via start, programs, etc.

Programs affected can be seen in the screenshots; they appear as a blank white rectangle next to the name.

Attachments

• missingicons.jpg
    missingicons.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 378
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi @terrya86 :)
I found this on intowindows.com

It may be worth trying....

If for any reason, one or more Windows 7 icons are not showing correctly, you can repair by rebuilding the icon cache. To improve the performance, Windows caches all icons in IocnCache.db file and sometimes it gets corrupted, resulting in broken icons.

Icon cache is a hidden file located in the Local Folder. All you need to do is delete the IconCache.db file and restart your PC so that Windows creates a new IconCache.db file upon system restart.

This guide also works if Windows is showing custom icons even after uninstalling transformation packs and icon packs.

Complete the given below instructions to rebuild the icon cache in Windows:

Step 1: Open Windows Explorer (any folder/drive).

Step 2: As the IconCache is a hidden file, you need to enable “Show hidden files” option to see the same. To do this, head over to Tools > Folder Options, switch to View tab, and finally enable Show Hidden files, folders, and drives option.

Step 3: Now navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local folder and then delete IconCache.db file. Here username is your user profile name.

Step 4: Reboot your computer to rebuild the icon cache.

Step 5: All icons must appear as they should now. From now onwards, make sure that you create a manual system restore point before attempting to install those fancy transformation packs and icons packs so that you can quickly revert to the default Windows look with a few mouse clicks.

And if you don’t want to manually delete icon cache and would rather prefer to use a software for the job, we recommend you try out Icon Cache Rebuilder tool. Download, run the tool with admin rights, click Rebuild button, and then click Restart button to delete and rebuild the icon cache.

Upvote 0

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
Appreciate the effort, but sadly it did not resolve my issue.

See target etc, all blank and uneditable.

Attachments

• notarget.jpg
    notarget.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
What's safe mode got to do with it?

Anyone with any other ideas as well?

Adwcleaner came back with nothing, no threats. Updated as of today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How about this @terrya86 :)
from thecomputergroup.com

How to restore missing desktop icons and start menu items after malware/virus infection-

First, after your computer is cleaned of any infections, run unhide.exe. This program will change the attributes on every file on your hard drive to make them visible again.

Note: Some anti-virus programs may flag this file as suspicious. If that is the case, temporarily disable your anti-virus program and download unhide.exe again.

Sometimes, even after running unhide.exe, your start menu items are still missing. To fix this, you must locate a temporary directory called SMTMP and copy/paste the shortcuts into your user accounts start menu folder.

For Vista and Windows 7 machines, browse to:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\SMTMP

Inside the SMTMP folder, you should see three folders, 1, 2, and 4.

Folder 1 contains your start menu icons. Folder 2 contains your Quick Launch items and folder 4 contains your desktop icons.

To restore your start menu items, browse into folder 1 and then into the Programs folder. Select all of the folders by using CTRL+A or Edit-->Select All, then right click and "Copy" or click Edit-->Copy.

This will copy the program folders and shortcuts to the clipboard. Next, you want to Paste those items into your start menu.

With Windows 7, the location of the start menu items changed. I find the easiest way to restore the shortcuts it to go to:

C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

If the Program Data folder is not visible, you will need to change your Folder View Options and enable the display of hidden and system files. You can find these options by going to Control Panel --> Folder Options.

Once you can see the Program Data folder, go inside the Programs folder and right click and Paste, or click Edit-->Paste.

This should restore your start menu items.

Note: Some disk cleanup utilities such as CCleaner may delete the SMTMP folder. Make sure to not run CCleaner until after you have recovered your desktop icons and start menu icons.

Upvote 0

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
I don't have the SMTP folder, and all my shortcuts are dead.

All because of this poxy adware from some KNOXX android emulator thing.

Attachments

• Bastardadware.jpg
    Bastardadware.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 321
  • busted-shortcuts.jpg
    busted-shortcuts.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm sorry that the problem persists @terrya86 :(
Having looked through your posts in the Malware removal assistance forum,and based on you saying that startgo123 is still present, I recommend returning to the Malware removal forum.
All members of MalwareTips are allowed to help people with "troubleshooting" problems that may exist once an infection has been removed,but only "qualified" members are allowed to help with Malware removal.
Again, I apologise that you still have this issue.I really hope that another try in the Malware removal forum will rid you of it once and for all..
Good luck @terrya86.

Upvote 0
S

Smith83

Alright, this should clear things up.

Pre_Scan

Please download Pre_Scan.
Save it to your desktop.
Disable your antivirus, and windows defender.
Close All open work Pre_Scan will close all processes to run.
Right Click Run as Admin.
Allow completion, when it completes the program will reboot your machine and open a log.
Please post that log here in your next reply.

Upvote 0

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
Still there mate; I've actually found my notepad and calculator files and dragged them onto my desktop - they just dont appear in my start window after accessories.

Upvote 0

terrya86

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 17, 2016
Nope, didn't work.

Fixed 2, 12 couldn't be fixed; when the log provided me with the file paths of the aforementioned 14, none of them related to the ones I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
S

Smith83

Install (use the direct download) the Tweaking.com - Windows all in one repair tool. Then boot Windows into Safe Mode, (Make Certain To Run This Program As Administrator) then run through the Prescan on step 2 tab. Then skip to step 5 and create a system restore point. Then go to the repair tab...

Notice create a registry backup is ticked by default, so no need to do so in step 5...
upload_2016-9-8_23-2-44.png

Now run the program, with the default boxes ticked. ( Just Uncheck Anything related to windows 8 - 10 Like app store repair.)

Important: Make certain to reboot twice after running this tool!!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.