Solved Start Menu, Task Bar, New Folder Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnavychief

Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2013
I have just recovered from a very bad Ransom Virus thanks to one of your members. No Virus now but left me with some new problems.
-My Start Menu Will not allow me to Pin to it or to the Task Bar.
My Task Bar is locked and will not unlock. Tried various ways with no luck.
I right Click on Task Bar to remove the check mark to unlock TB. The check would go away then would be there again when I try again. (Hope that makes sense)
In addition. When I try to download / run a fix it says Couldn't Download

-I am not able to create new folder on desktop and in all windows/ office programs. When I right click and go to NEW it is now )Empty). Cannot select New folder or any other options.

I do not have a disc to reinstall Windows or Office programs.
I have no saved System Restore Dates other than the one from yesterday so that will not help.

Frustrated and need help.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You can contact your OEM manufacture or Microsoft and get a copy of Windows disc, but it might cost you.

Looking for a simply solution to fix these problems is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Reinstall Windows is the most easy way to fix these problems.

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Are you able (if you have) to use AdwCleaner, MBAM, HijackThis or RSIT?
Your problems are in Registry, so look to Run keys ..

- so which apps you've able to run?

Upvote 0

mcnavychief

Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2013
I have tried AdwCleaner, MBAM, HijackThis and RSIT.

Sorry still new to this and some of the lingo.
Your question - "so which apps you've able to run?" not sure what you mean.

-Is there a way to restore registry without using system restore (I have no previous restore point) "OR" without -having to reload from windows 7 pro disc (I do not have one)?

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Have you tried running Sfc Scannow to check the integrity of every protected operating system file on your computer? Running this scan may correct some of the errors, but may also need the disk to do so. Worth a try at this point.

Right click and open your command prompt with Administrator privileges,
Type: SFC /SCANNOW
Hit enter, and allow to run.. If the scan does indeed repair files, it will require a reboot.

If you are able to get your hands on an operating disk, you may boot from the disk, and after you select the "Repair" option, and when the "system recovery options opens" choose the "command prompt" and run the SFC Scannow form the disk to replace the files.

You could also try Resetting your Start Menu to Default settings.
GO to settings, Taskbar and Start Menu, in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, select "Customize" then select "Use Default Settings" and click ok. THis will depend on whether the malware had changed the settings, or whether you dealing with corrupt entries in the registry..

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Littlebits said:
You can contact your OEM manufacture or Microsoft and get a copy of Windows disc, but it might cost you.

Looking for a simply solution to fix these problems is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Reinstall Windows is the most easy way to fix these problems.

Thanks. :D

I agree with this, but then again do not at the same time.

Starting from scratch can lead to a long day depending on the operating system, and how many windows updates will need to be re-installed as well as programs one uses will need to be set back up.

I messed with a program a few years back on my windows 7 laptop, upon uninstalling it, it corrupted a few registry entries. This caused me some problems, but after researching the error caused "as it listed the effected problem" i came across the registry keys "in the windows seven forum" that another person had posted from a similar problem. They were the exact ones i needed, and after downloading to my desktop, right clicking and selecting "merge" into the registry, i was good to go again, only took 5 minutes of my time. it really depends on the amount of damage whether it is worth a full day of redoing a system, or finding the fix.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
In your CCleaner software (I hope you have this one!) - look on Tools/System Restore.

Some softwares have the possibility to do (by you ..) the backups of Registry ..

My question are: which softwares you have in your PC?

Upvote 0

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
mcnavychief said:
Is there a way to restore registry without using system restore (I have no previous restore point) "OR" without -having to reload from windows 7 pro disc (I do not have one)?

Are you tried How to fix currepted user profile
Try this

you can try it and you can move on a new user profile with your old profile data.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
you could try this tool from Tweaking.com it has a Portable version so no install needed and could be run from a cd/dvd/usb

Windows Repair (All In One)

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is an all-in-one repair tool to help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including registry errors and file
permissions as well as issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Update, Windows Firewall and more. Malware and installed programs can modify your default settings.
With Tweaking.com - Windows Repair you can restore Windows original settings.

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Windows Firewall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAC & MS Jet
Repair Hosts File
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Icons
Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
Remove Temp Files
Repair Proxy Settings
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Windows Updates
Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working
and more...

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

:)

James

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.