Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hello guys! :)

I have one weird problem. When I want to watch YouTube videos on evening, I can't watch them in 1080p or 720p because of constant buffering. It's happening only on one laptop and only on evenings. While I can watch 1080p videos during day normally, I can't watch it on evenings because video loading speed is around 5200 kbps (at least that's what YouTube stats say). I've also tried connecting laptop with cable but speed stays the same. Funny thing, on desktop PC and other devices videos are loading normally all the time (with speed around 50000 kbps) no matter when I watch it so Internet connection is not problem. I've literally tried everything except reinstalling Windows and that's my last option. o_O

Anyone got any ideas what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Hello guys! :)

I have one weird problem. When I want to watch YouTube videos on evening, I can't watch them in 1080p or 720p because of constant buffering. It's happening only on one laptop and only on evenings. While I can watch 1080p videos during day normally, I can't watch it on evenings because video loading speed is around 5200 kbps (at least that's what YouTube stats say). I've also tried connecting laptop with cable but speed stays the same. Funny thing, on desktop PC and other devices videos are loading normally all the time (with speed around 50000 kbps) no matter when I watch it so Intenet connection is not problem. I've literally tried everything except reinstalling Windows and that's my last option. o_O

Anyone got any ideas what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Are your display adapters/drivers working correctly? Can you watch a downloaded 1080p movie?

I usually use this tool for audio/video problems, it will tell you if your laptop is working fine for multimedia usage, and if not, what driver causes the issues:
Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Quite strange. Have you tried renewing your IP via cmd?
I did and it didn't help. I've tried opening one video now and videos are loading faster but YouTube stats still say that connection speed is around 4550 kbps.
Are your display adapters/drivers working correctly? Can you watch a downloaded 1080p movie?

I usually use this tool for audio/video problems, it will tell you if your laptop is working fine for multimedia usage, and if not, what driver causes the issues:
Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks
Yes. I can watch 1080p movies without any problems. I'll try that program, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which web browser are you using? Try using something else and see if problem still exists.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus (including Web Protection) too.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Try watching videos from some Linux Live CD and see if problem persists. If it does, then there is some hardware problem. If it doesn't it's probably something within Windows. You can also try watching some FullHD videos on other sites like Vimeo or DailyMotion

Upvote 0

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I did and it didn't help. I've tried opening one video now and videos are loading faster but YouTube stats still say that connection speed is around 4550 kbps.

You followed the standard procedure for solving these kinds of problems, if nothing worked, then a system restore might be the only solution.
Hopefully somebody can help you better.

Reactions: given and Marko :)
Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Which web browser are you using? Try using something else.
Latest Opera. I tried Internet Explorer and same problem appears in it. I'm downloading Firefox portable now to test if problem appears in it. Tried disabling Avast completely didn't help.
Try watching videos from some Linux Live CD and see if problem persists. If it does, then there is some hardware problem. If it doesn't it's probably something within Windows. You can also try watching some FullHD videos on other sites like Vimeo or DailyMotion
About Linux part, done it already and speed was normal. I've tried watching videos on Vimeo and it looks like it's loading faster than on YouTube. Other video streams run smoothly and without any problems.
You followed the standard procedure for solving these kinds of problems, if nothing worked, then a system restore might be the only solution.
Hopefully somebody can help you better.
I have disabled System Restore and I use System Image backup instead. I've tried restoring latest system image backup and it didn't help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Wow, very strange. I can think of these:
  • Check the DPC latencies with that little software
  • Check your PSU if you can (replace it temporarily with another one, a more powerful one)
  • Try the Linux bootable CD as the others suggested
  • Do you have some scheduled tasks maybe interfering with your network activity?
  • Update BIOS and drivers (?)
  • Temporarily turn off power management from the BIOS or in Windows Power Settings or in your laptop's Power Manager
  • Reinstall windows :)

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Wow, very strange. I can think of these:
  • Check the DPC latencies with that little software
  • Check your PSU if you can (replace it temporarily with another one, a more powerful one)
  • Try the Linux bootable CD as the others suggested
  • Do you have some scheduled tasks maybe interfering with your network activity?
  • Update BIOS and drivers (?)
  • Temporarily turn off power management from the BIOS or in Windows Power Settings or in your laptop's Power Manager
  • Reinstall windows :)
I've just installed Firefox and I'm surprised. Videos in it are loading very fast, even connection speed is higer and goes above 9500 kbps.

I can't change PSU because it's laptop. I remember that I tried with Linux once and speed was normal. As far as I know, nothing is running in background (Task Manager -> Network and GlassWire don't see any large network usage).

Last edited:
Reactions: given
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I've just installed Firefox and guess what. Videos in it are loading very fast, even connection speed is higer and goes above 9500 kbps. Maybe it's problem on Opera. I had similar problems with pCloud. In Opera I could upload max 500 kb/s while in pCloud app and Firefox, I could upload at speed of 1 MB/s. Looks like a bug in Opera.

Unfortunately, I can't chane PSU because it's laptop. I'll try Linux Live CD tomorrow when I'll have some time. As far as I know, nothing is running in background (Task Manager -> Network and GlassWire don't see any large network usage).

I thought maybe somebody around you had another similar laptop PSU with same connector and output values :)

Opera & Explorer - no go
Firefox - works

What about Chrome or Cent browser? Do they work? Why are the others not working during night? :) Very strange.

Reactions: given and Marko :)
Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I thought maybe somebody around you had another similar laptop PSU with same connector and output values :)

Opera & Explorer - no go
Firefox - works

What about Chrome or Cent browser? Do they work? Why are the others not working during night? :) Very strange.
Downloading Chrome portable right now. :)

EDIT: Speed is higher in Chrome as well. Looks like it's problem with Opera.

Thanks everyone! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Unfortunately, problem still isn't fixed. I had reinstalled Windows and problem still appears. Anyway, I did found out that when I enable VPN, speed on YouTube is normal but when I turn it off, it falls under 4000 kbps. Same is in Safe Mode where I have normal speed.

LatencyMon says following:

Capture.PNG

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Unfortunately, problem still isn't fixed. I had reinstalled Windows and problem still appears. Anyway, I did found out that when I enable VPN, speed on YouTube is normal but when I turn it off, it falls under 4000 kbps. Same is in Safe Mode where I have normal speed.

LatencyMon says following:

View attachment 147031

You have to click on "stats" and "drivers" and analyze these reports. If you feel comfortable enough, save the reports and attach them to your next post and I can take a look :)

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You have to click on "stats" and "drivers" and analyze these reports. If you feel comfortable enough, save the reports and attach them to your next post and I can take a look :)
I think problem is fixed, at least for now. In chrome://flags, I needed to set #enable-quic to Disabled. You got PM. :)

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I think problem is fixed, at least for now. In chrome://flags, I needed to set #enable-quic to Disabled. You got PM. :)

I'm not particularly sure this is a fix or just an easy of symptoms (and not a fix), but the problem is still there. I also took a look at your PM.
ndis is particularly notorious in causing high DPCs/IRPs and it's root cause is in many cases the network adapter driver (which indirectly affects ndis).

I would really try to get/install the network adapter drivers from your laptop's manufacturer's website, exactly the one for your model, even if it's older than the one Windows installs.

Did you try this by any chance?

P.S. We will try something else if this is not working, step by step.

Reactions: frogboy and given
Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I'm not particularly sure this is a fix or just an easy of symptoms (and not a fix), but the problem is still there. I also took a look at your PM.
ndis is particularly notorious in causing high DPCs/IRPs and it's root cause is in many cases the network adapter driver (which indirectly affects ndis).

I would really try to get/install the network adapter drivers from your laptop's manufacturer's website, exactly the one for your model, even if it's older than the one Windows installs.

Did you try this by any chance?

P.S. We will try something else if this is not working, step by step.
Yes, I did. Those are drivers from manufacturer's website and there is only one version which I have installed.

Reactions: frogboy and given
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Yes, I did. Those are drivers from manufacturer's website and there is only one version which I have installed.

OK, disable the power management features of your network adapter in this step:
  1. Open "device manager" and navigate to your network adapter
  2. Right click, "Properties"
  3. "Power management" -> untick everything there
  4. Restart
  5. Check again
  6. Please report back :)

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Hi Marko,

Took a look at your new PM, we have to eliminate the network adapter from the list of possible issues.
Next, lets try to replace the driver; please look for drivers at the network adapter's chipset manufacturer. Find the exact model of the chipset and try to install it (hopefully it will install).
You can use the portable version of hwinfo to be sure: HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools

Some popular ones: Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, Realtek, Qualcomm...

Upvote 0

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hi Marko,

Took a look at your new PM, we have to eliminate the network adapter from the list of possible issues.
Next, lets try to replace the driver; please look for drivers at the network adapter's chipset manufacturer. Find the exact model of the chipset and try to install it (hopefully it will install).
You can use the portable version of hwinfo to be sure: HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools

Some popular ones: Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, Realtek, Qualcomm...
I have Realtek RTL8723BE network adapter and I've tried to download drivers from Realtek's website but they only have Ethernet drivers available for download.

Btw speed now is great. Slow speed was because of QUIC protocol. I did some research and apparently a lot of people is having same problems with QUIC enabled. It's new experimental protocol which Google uses in their services as well as YouTube.

Untitled.png

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.