Solved Strange thing about my tablet's battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have been noticing a strange thing about the battery life of my tablet. When browsing the web on it, the battery drains really fast, it dropped 2 percent in 9 minutes. What I have done is: Opened MalwareTips and browsed for 4 minutes, opened a new tab with Facebook on it for 4 minutes browsing and a new tab with a YouTube video for 1 minute. The battery drained from 79 to 77%! But when I leave it idle, with wifi on for 6 hours, It consumed just a 3 percents. I also tried to play music for almost 30 minutes and the free RAM was around 100MB and that consumed 4 percents.

Why does the battery drains very fast only when browsing the web?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Using more resources to display the web content, processing of web page and the use of WiFi/3G for transmitting data.

Just like a laptop running on batteries will last longer on idle vs running a game with high graphics settings.

Upvote 0

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Rendering. But maybe if you would turn off GPU acceleration, it wouldn't drain that much? Not sure if that would give you an enjoyable browsing either.

Upvote 0

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
Do you on GPS ? If yes you should off because it will take a lot of batteries.

You have been trying to clean the ram? some programs will run in background without tell you and use the button 'back' button than 'home' everytime you want close an application.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I do use GO Task Manager to kill all running apps in 1 click and I use the back button. I also have GPS turned off. I just tried once more watching YT videos and browsing. Battery drained from 60 to 50% in 20 minutes. Can it be because the battery is just 4000 mAh?

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Detection said:
2% in 9 Minutes will give you around 7.5hours

How long do you think it should last ?

Sounds fine to me

Battery Life

Samsung goes with their usual 4,000 mAh Lithium Ion battery here, and the tablet averaged 7 hours of use in a mix of standard endeavors: music playback with the screen off, web browsing, streaming a few YouTube videos, email, social networking and reading eBooks.

Yep sounds right to me, There's nothing wrong with your Tab.

The screen is your main drain on power but there's not much you can do about this. Keep the brightness as low as practical to help save battery life.

Some apps are constantly active in the background and will drain power all the time. A task manager can only do so much, Even if you kill the apps, they will most likely restart again and continue to run. Infact continuously killing them is just going to drain your battery life anyway, I suggest hunting down and removing misbehaving apps that do this or use an Android app called AutoStarts that allows you to disable strings that cause these apps to auto start by themselves.

Use 1 tab at a time or else you'll experience the multiple tab effect, The more tabs, the more power the device has to dish out. Same goes for Chrome/Firefox on Windows, The more tabs, the more RAM Chrome/Firefox will use.

Hope this helps ;)

Upvote 0

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
MrXidus said:
Detection said:
2% in 9 Minutes will give you around 7.5hours

How long do you think it should last ?

Sounds fine to me

Battery Life

Samsung goes with their usual 4,000 mAh Lithium Ion battery here, and the tablet averaged 7 hours of use in a mix of standard endeavors: music playback with the screen off, web browsing, streaming a few YouTube videos, email, social networking and reading eBooks.

Yep sounds right to me, There's nothing wrong with your Tab.

The screen is your main drain on power but there's not much you can do about this. Keep the brightness as low as practical to help save battery life.

Some apps are constantly active in the background and will drain power all the time. A task manager can only do so much, Even if you kill the apps, they will most likely restart again and continue to run. Infact continuously killing them is just going to drain your battery life anyway, I suggest hunting down and removing misbehaving apps that do this or use an Android app called AutoStarts that allows you to disable strings that cause these apps to auto start by themselves.

Use 1 tab at a time or else you'll experience the multiple tab effect, The more tabs, the more power the device has to dish out. Same goes for Chrome/Firefox on Windows, The more tabs, the more RAM Chrome/Firefox will use.

Hope this helps ;)

I have the ASUS Transformer and I agree, screen eats the battery the most, even if you drop it to half brightness you double your battery life easily

Wifi is the next most power hungry, but even with the screen on the lowest setting, power consumption is still around the same as wifi is when left on 24/7 so yea, screen is a hungry thing.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
MrXidus said:
I suggest hunting down and removing misbehaving or apps that do this or use an Android app called AutoStarts that allows you to disable strings that cause these apps to auto start by themselves.

Who is the developer of the app AutoStarts?

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have found a free app with a startup manager. It is called ES Task Manager (Developer: EStrongs Inc.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.taskmanager&hl=en

Thanks to everyone who tried to help! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.