Microsoft says this Windows 11 taskbar setting can worsen your battery life, is it true?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Earlier this week, Microsoft released the Windows 11 "Moment 3" update with a few quality-of-life improvements and new features (check out our full review here). One of the most notable changes in the release is the ability to enable seconds for the system clock. However, Microsoft warns that enabling the feature will result in higher power consumption and lower battery life. I decided to conduct a small (and limited) experiment to see if the claim is true, and if it is true, see how significant is the battery life impact.
In conclusion

Yes, turning on seconds on the taskbar clock indeed makes your tablet or laptop consume more battery. Should you worry about it? Probably not, since the difference is negligible. Besides, Windows 10 shows the same difference in power consumption, so if it were not bothering you when running Windows 10, it would not bother you after upgrading to Windows 11. Too many extra things affect your battery life during daily use, so you are extremely unlikely to spot a 2% difference.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yes, yet transparency and shadows are perfectly fine, bringing even i9 to it's knees in 2023. 🤫
I have recently disabled hardware acceleration in browsers, the amount of energy it saves is crazy.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have recently disabled hardware acceleration in browsers, the amount of energy it saves is crazy.
Tested on 11400H in my TUF laptop. I used HWinfo for measuring avg. CPU package power . Try playing a YT video w/ hardware acceleration enabled vs disabled.

1. Playing 4K@24 video encoded with AV1.

w/ HW acc enabled: 8 W
w/ HW acc disabled: 16 W

2. Playing 4K@60 video encoded with VP9 the results are even more conclusive:

w/ HW acc enabled: 10.3 W
w/ HW acc disabled: 32.2 W

Edit 3: In theory it should be even worse in case of 4k@60 videos encoded with AV1 cause it is more complex codec for CPU to decode compared to 4K@60 videos encoded with VP9.

Edit4: edited to make it more tidy.
Edit 5: I forgot to mention I used Edge for testing.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
In every browser? Do you have Nvidia GPU?
Yes. Pretty much only YouTube (about 5-10% of frames dropped with hardware acceleration enabled). It happens with both the RTX 3070 I had and the RX 7900 XT that replaced it. So both red and green. Kind of like the chile where I’m from. This is on a desktop though. No battery to worry about.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes. Pretty much only YouTube (about 5-10% of frames dropped with hardware acceleration enabled). It happens with both the RTX 3070 I had and the RX 7900 XT that replaced it. So both red and green. Kind of like the chile where I’m from. This is on a desktop though. No battery to worry about.
If it's happening in every browser and with both GPUs (Nvidia & AMD) than something else is broken in your system, I am not sure what. Create a new thread in here and I am sure MT members will be able to solve this riddle.

Reactions: JB007 and roger_m

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If it's happening in every browser and with both GPUs (Nvidia & AMD) than something else is broken in your system, I am not sure what. Create a new thread in here and I am sure MT members will be able to solve this riddle.
It’s pretty common. Nvidia boards are flooded with questions about YouTube dropping frames. If I set the refresh rate to 60hz all is well with hardware acceleration on or off.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It’s pretty common. Nvidia boards are flooded with questions about YouTube dropping frames. If I set the refresh rate to 60hz all is well with hardware acceleration on or off.
Yeah, their last few drivers releases were pretty bad. Last known good driver that I know is v528.49 (also using it rn). But you are seeing same issue with AMD card right? So it might not be Nvidia driver issue. Wouldn't hurt to try installing that version though.

Reactions: JB007 and roger_m

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah I think it has something to do with YouTube and high refresh rates. I am on AMD. It might not be an issue on Firefox come to think of it, so maybe a chromium issue. Either way, I have had hardware acceleration off for years.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah I think it has something to do with YouTube and high refresh rates. I am on AMD. It might not be an issue on Firefox come to think of it, so maybe a chromium issue. Either way, I have had hardware acceleration off for years.
I tried re-enabling Hardware Acceleration in all my browsers. I am no longer having these drops on YouTube. So for AMD at least the issue seems to be rectified.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I tried re-enabling Hardware Acceleration in all my browsers. I am no longer having these drops on YouTube. So for AMD at least the issue seems to be rectified.
Can you try playing the same YouTube video in both Chromium and Firefox in a resolution different from your native monitor resolution of 1440P.
Eg: Play a video in 1080p or in 4K. Do the video quality in terms of clarity and sharpness looks the same in both browsers? HW acceleration should be on.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Can you try playing the same YouTube video in both Chromium and Firefox in a resolution different from your native monitor resolution of 1440P.
Eg: Play a video in 1080p or in 4K. Do the video quality in terms of clarity and sharpness looks the same in both browsers? HW acceleration should be on.
Firefox seems a touch softer...maybe...playing in 1080p fullscreen on my 1440p monitor. It's pretty close.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Softer 🤔
Which one looks better in your eyes? Which one you prefer? Try checking the theater mode view.
Honestly they are very close. I would say Chrome, but could be just the one video. I can play around with it and see.

I actually use theater mode half the time which auto loads at 1080. I think Chrome looks slightly sharper.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Which do you prefer?
I have a smaller monitor and on my PC if the YouTube video resolution is anything different than my native monitor resolution then it appears a bit blurry in all Chromium browsers. A Chromium dev told me after checking the Chromium code that he found nothing wrong in their code so it must a bug of the AMD driver. I have this issue since 2020. The solution provided by the dev is to add this into the Target filed of browser shortcut,
Code:
--disable_direct_composition_video_overlays=1
The flag was slightly different in Chromium versions prior to 113.
I thought AMD APU products are only affected by it but in my Chrome bug another guy also commented last year who had a better GPU and monitor, so I thought it's true for all AMD GPUs but looks like it is not based on your testing.
No issue on Firefox.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I have a smaller monitor and on my PC if the YouTube video resolution is anything different than my native monitor resolution then it appears a bit blurry in all Chromium browsers. A Chromium dev told me after checking the Chromium code that he found nothing wrong in their code so it must a bug of the AMD driver. I have this issue since 2020. The solution provided by the dev is to add this into the Target filed of browser shortcut,
Code:
--disable_direct_composition_video_overlays=1
The flag was slightly different in Chromium versions prior to 113.
I thought AMD APU products are only affected by it but in my Chrome bug another guy also commented last year who had a better GPU and monitor, so I thought it's true for all AMD GPUs but looks like it is not based on your testing.
No issue on Firefox.
or my eyes deceive me :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.