Stuck in a Catch22

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks to MT and new friends and all those that have helped me, my computer IS cleaner and faster than it was!! I have downloaded Unchecky, and Revo Uninstaller and Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Performance Test, have cleaned, tried, installed and uninstalled and just plain been reading all about malware and viruses and been watching the experts and what types of problems they are working on!

I have learned so much, and now, I'm at an impasse. Now, I think it might be time to turn my computer over to the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing, -to speed it up to as much as this old work horse will allow-, to correct any registry errors that might exist, to get it to where CPU usage doesn't hit 100%. But, I don't think I can.

I bought this computer for $40.00 and a mandolin, and I have no idea if he had or used a Key for the Windows XP Pro version that is on here. I have heard too many horror stories on 8.1 or 8.0, and so, thought I would update to 7 possibly, which I could do with a legal version of XP! From what I have been reading and learning, I probably do not have enough GB Ram here for many things, and barely enough to keep safe, especially when I see task manager running at 98-99-100%, but only on and off like that.

I did run Patch My PC Updater, which worker terrifically, but ran at 100%CPU and I got a 'danger' warning with it to stop the run.
It was unable to verify Google Chrome URL or size, or Adobe Shockwave URL or size, so aborted on those.

Can I still purchase a key to XP Pro-(SP3), and then update to newer, or is it better to completely change OS (and add more GB), or bury this computer OR give it to the grand children until it is dead?

It Appears I could go to a Ubuntu OS, but if we look at my configuration and hardware, will this computer take that?

Please keep it simple, y'all, I have been about a week without many Zzzzzzz's now, trying to get this thing out of horrendous snail pace!!:):):D

I must say, though, that after being all over the internet and to many, many sites this week for research and learning and info, have definitely noticed that MT is by far TOPS!!!! Great site, set up well, says hello to new people quickly and lets them feel welcome and all around, just plain professional!! Someday, I will be able to just spend my time welcoming people!!:p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.