Study finds Brave to be the most private browser

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It's simple change but you can consider changing the shield setting from "Cross-site device recognition attempts blocked" to "Device recognition attempts blocked"
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, I found your feature review, its added to the weekends 'to-do' list. A good thing to do over yet another stormy weekend here, four on the trot now, should have everything sorted soon!

Reactions: oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Is this brave specific thing to do that when it notices site is tricking to see wich adblocker filters you are using ?
brave123242.png

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I don't get that.
Did you tried directly to the url? I'm getting the warning but on the content filters section.

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Downloaded Brave out of curiosity. It seems fast, and I like it, except it won't import my bookmarks. I tried it three times, closed and opened browser, rebooted system. Nothing. No bookmarks. It isn't a big deal, just a nuisance.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
, except it won't import my bookmarks
I had this problem importing bookmarks from Edge Chromium
i made it work by exporting bookmarks from Edge into a file, and them importing it with Brave

-------------

Edit: Brave is not the only browser having problems importing bookmarks from new edge
Firefox has exactly the same problem.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Linking tracking to hardware makes all efforts at "privacy" pretty meaningless.

I would like a response from devs before coming to a conclusion, it might be easily a feature to prevent MITM or etc. Browsers are trying to improve privacy between the user and the webpage, not within the browser itself, even TOR leaks in that sense. As for the data leaks, for once I would like to see a test, before and after all browser features are turned off, since they can make quite a difference, just like telemetry in Windows 10.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But the most intrusive phoning-home features were found in the new version of Microsoft Edge and the official Yandex Browser.

According to Prof. Leith, both used unique identifiers that were linked to the device's hardware, rather than the browser installation.

Tracking users by hardware allows Microsoft and Yandex to follow users across installations and potentially link browser installs with other apps and online identities.

The professor said that Edge collected the hardware UUID of the user's computer, an identifier that cannot be easily changed or deleted without altering a computer's hardware.

Similarly, Prof. Leith also found that Yandex transmitted a hash of the hardware serial number and MAC address to its backend servers.

"As far as we can tell this behaviour [in Edge and Yandex] cannot be disabled by users," the professor said.

Furthermore, just like the three browsers before, Edge and Yandex also collected and sent back information on a users' visited web pages via the search autocomplete functionality.

However, the professor also found that the two also sent back information about visited web pages that did not appear to be related to the search autocomplete feature, suggesting the browsers had other ways to track users' browsing habits.

More details on the research and the methodology can be found in a research paper titled "Web Browser Privacy: What Do Browsers Say When They Phone Home" [PDF here].

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_03032020_181830.jpg
    capture_03032020_181830.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 273

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.