Study: Half of people click on unknown sender links

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Phishing is one of the biggest threats on the Internet. Attacks use it to gain access to login or financial information, or to scam users right away.

With phishing being a thing for longer than a decade, one could assume that users are aware of the risks that clicking on links or attachments in emails, chats or on websites poses, but that is apparently not the case.

A recent study at the German Friedrich-Alexander University concluded that 56% of email recipients and 40% of Facebook users clicked on links from unknown senders.

The research team conducted two studies in which they sent email messages and Facebook messages to about 1700 students of the University.

The messages were adapted to the target group. Messages in both studies claimed that the link pointed to images of a party of the previous weekend. They were signed with a common name for the age group
phishing.jpg

A click on the link would open a web page that would simply show an access denied message. All clicks were logged this way, and that's how the researchers managed to get the stats for both studies.

Studies were slightly different in topic. In the first study, test subjects were addressed by first name. Test subjects were not addressed by first name in the second study, but additional details about the party were listed instead.

Also, for the Facebook study, profiles were created that offered varying degrees of public information. Some with photos and timeline information, others with no photos and minimal content.

The results were astonishing: 56% of email recipients and 38% of Facebook users clicked on the link in the first study. In the second study -- the one without the test subject's first name -- email clicks dropped down to 20% but Facebook clicks increased to 42%.

Full Article. Study: Half of people click on unknown sender links - gHacks Tech News

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Yes agreed, maybe more than half of people.
Because of curiosity. You know, sometimes people think like this.
Woah, someone sent me something.. especially sender gave false link description. And eventually open it :)
But for me, all unknown sender. I will not even bother to open it

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
There were times actually in the past where I deliberately clicked on those kinds of links. :D
I just wanted to see my security config, especially AppGuard and/or ReHIPS, in action. Of course, I made a backup, just in case something awful happened.
So far, no result. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.