Suggestions for Internet Security Solution.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Hey guys! Long time no see. My EIS 10 is expiring soon, I was hoping to try out some other security suites before settling down with something this year.

I would like to personally try out different suites, but due to time constraints i cant.

Can you guys recommend me one suite from the following, and your reason behind it.
  • Trend Micro.
  • Webroot.
  • Norton Security.

Thanks!

Edit1: Alignments.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
I am very biased but i would recommend Norton from your list. ;)

Would you recommend Norton™ Security or Norton™ Internet Security / AV 2016?

Edit 1: I really like the manage your subscription from a single webpage, i usually tend to share licenses between family(multiple PC licenses) so it's good that i can check stuff from time to time.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Because i have been using Norton for 5 or 6 years with not one infection. I would go with Norton security.
I would also vote for Norton. They have improved a lot since some years ago. I use it for about 4 years, and so far I am very happy with it, so it is recommended :) It even saved me when I was infected some years ago because of a detection fail of my previous av.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I would also recommend Norton. Performance is very good. Protection is very good. Trend Micro slows down the internet sometimes and does not have it's own firewall. It instead "boosts" Windows Firewall. Nothing wrong with that obviously. Windows Firewall isn't my cup of tea though. Webroot also relies on Windows Firewall but can control connections from within itself. Norton has it's own fully featured AV, Firewall, and zero day modules.

Norton is also by FAR more customizable than most if not all home user suites. Seriously. It's the only vendor that I know of that allows you to turn off certain signatures, etc. Norton already shows it's going toward next gen security. Signatures aren't good enough and they know that. Despite that, they still get high detection rates on file scans.

I'll admit I'm biased against AV that don't have it's own firewall however Norton would still get my vote regardless. It's currently my favorite (it also helps that Comcast gives me infinite free Norton Security with Backup for 5 PCs as long as I'm with them).

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
I'll admit I'm biased against AV that don't have it's own firewall however Norton would still get my vote regardless. It's currently my favorite (it also helps that Comcast gives me infinite free Norton Security with Backup for 5 PCs as long as I'm with them).

Man, I am envious about that lol. I was biased towards Suites with Firewall as well, but lately Windows Firewall does not seem all that bad, I guess it takes a while to grow on to you. Though i really like how easily you can tinker with the firewall on Norton.

Edit 1: Typo.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Would you recommend Norton™ Security or Norton™ Internet Security

As far as I know, in terms of techniques, components, and protection capability, Norton Security has no difference with Norton Internet Security.
But they are different in the custom service.
If you use Norton Security, when you are infected and the experts in Symantec are unable to help you to clean the virus, then you can get your money back.
By contrast, there is no such policy for Norton Internet Security.
So, in my opinion, Norton Security would be a little better.

Among all the three antivirus you mentioned, I personally like Norton best.
It might not be as light as WebRoot, but still very very light.

All these three antivirus do not have a good detection rate, but Norton is much better in terms of detection than the other two.

Trend Micro does not have a firewall. It only has a "firewall booster". I should say that I know little about it...
WebRoot has a component called firewall. But it could only control the outbound traffic of applications. In addition, I hear that its firewall cannot work in win 8.
Norton has a decent and reliable firewall.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
All these three antivirus do not have a good detection rate, but Norton is much better in terms of detection than the other two.

Would you recommend a 2nd opinion scanner along with it? or it should be good enough? I don't really get infected, but i still keep MBAM for those "just in case moments".

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Would you recommend Norton™ Security or Norton™ Internet Security / AV 2016?
Was it not the case that since the 2015 version, norton 360 and norton Internet security are both replaced with one package called norton security? So there are only two products left afaik: Norton Anvitirus (without firewall) and Norton Security (all in one package). I would go with Norton security, since that is also the product I have on my pc.
And I can confirm that both the detection and the firewall are great!

Reactions: mercurial

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Was it not the case that since the 2015 version, norton 360 and norton Internet security are both replaced with one package called norton security? So there are only two products left afaik: Norton Anvitirus (without firewall) and Norton Security (all in one package). I would go with Norton security, since that is also the product I have on my pc.
And I can confirm that both the detection and the firewall are great!

The thing is at my place they were still selling NAv & NIS 2015 & 2016 till a couple of weeks back from their official website.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Would you recommend a 2nd opinion scanner along with it? or it should be good enough? I don't really get infected, but i still keep MBAM for those "just in case moments".

Regarding on-demand scanners, I have only used MBAM and EEK. They work well on my computer. In particular, the Bitdefender engine of EEK (Emsisoft Emergency Kit) guarantees a good detection rate.

Furthermore, the protection capability of Norton depends on the cloud. So, if your network connection is not good, the protection capability of Norton might be somewhat decreased. On the other hand, both MBAM and EEK have a good local signature database. They can protect you well in the offline case.

If you have a good network connection, you may not worry about the detection rate of Norton too much.
This is because Norton has SONAR, a very famous behavior blocker, which can prevent FUD malwares in the real time. It can also roll back the operations of the malwares to the system to clean them effectively.
Norton also has Download Insight, a reputation based protection feature. Although it is called "Download" Insight, it will not only check the downloaded files, but also check any new file released to your system, like files decompressed from a package. Even files created by legal vendors could be blocked by Download Insight if they are very new or they are not widely used, which implies that it is aggressive in protection.

To conclude, although the detection rate of Norton may not be as good as ESET or some other antivirus programs, it can still protect you well.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Was it not the case that since the 2015 version, norton 360 and norton Internet security are both replaced with one package called norton security?

No. Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 are still alive in 2015.
Maybe you did not notice that there was even a MalwareTips Giveaway of Norton Internet Security during August to September. :D
You will find that all the components of Norton Internet Security have the same version number as Norton Security.
But it is cheaper than Norton Security in my country owing to the difference in terms of customer service.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
No. Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 are still alive in 2015.
Maybe you did not notice that there was even a MalwareTips Giveaway of Norton Internet Security being in process. :D
You will find that all the components of Norton Internet Security have the same version number as Norton Security.
But it is cheaper than Norton Security in my country owing to the difference in terms of customer service.
Ok then, but I read an article like this (it was another one, but about the same subject) a while ago, so that's why I was thinking that.
And in the computer stores here in Belgium, you can only buy Norton AV or Norton Security. I cannnot find the internet security anymore since the 2015 version came out.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Ok then, but I read an article like this (it was another one, but about the same subject) a while ago, so that's why I was thinking that..

The product, in beta now, will simply be called "Norton Security" and cost $79 a year when it goes on sale in North America on Sept. 23, said Gerry Egan, senior director of product management. It replaces Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus and Norton360, among others.

I have also heard about it since last year, but the fact is that I can still buy Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.:)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I have also heard about it since last year, but the fact is that I can still buy Norton Internet Security and Norton 360.:)
Like I said in my previous post, I can't anymore. Strange. Maybe it is only available in some countries?

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Maybe it is only available in some countries?
Maybe you are right. As far as I know, Norton Security was released in 2014. But Symantec does not sell it in my country, as well as many other Asian countries, until last month...
They only sell NIS and N360 here, although they are also upgraded to the 2015 version.
This implies that the policy of Symantec varies from country to country...

Reactions: mercurial

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Cloud based dependency is a common trend implementation to the security landscape so using either Norton, Trend Micro, and Webroot shouldn't be a wrong move as they can guaranteed to give maximum level of protection when connected to internet.

If you need a comprehensive tweaks then you may explore from Kaspersky besides to Bitdefender and Emsisoft.

No wrong move at all just take the grain of salt from samples taken.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Ok then, but I read an article like this (it was another one, but about the same subject) a while ago, so that's why I was thinking that.
And in the computer stores here in Belgium, you can only buy Norton AV or Norton Security. I cannnot find the internet security anymore since the 2015 version came out.

@kev216 They were still selling NAv, NIS & N360, in my country till a few weeks back. You can still find NAv & NIS from Retail stores for the moment at-least in my country, Norton Security is exclusive only from their website.

Reactions: Online_Sword

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.