BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
1_microsoftsecurityessentials.jpg

Microsoft will no longer provide Microsoft Security Essentials for the OS after April 8th.

The news came via a new revision of Microsoft's Windows XP end-of-support web page that included that tidbit of information. Specifically it said, "Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date."

Earlier today, we contacted Microsoft to ask if the Windows team was going to make extra efforts to close any exploits in Windows XP before the April 8th deadline. Microsoft responded with this statement from a spokesperson that, while it did not answer our question directly, it seems to be an appropriate one for the purpose of this story:

Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today's threat landscape. In addition, Microsoft recommends best practices to protect your PC such as: 1) running up-to-date antivirus, 2) regularly applying security updates for all software installed, and 3) using modern software that has advanced security technologies and is supported with regular security updates.

The lesson here is that Microsoft is cutting ties with Windows XP in just three months and they want users to know that it will be vulnerable to bugs and issues afterwards that won't be fixed.

Update: An earlier version of this story stated that Microsoft would not supply anti-virus updates for Windows XP owners who had Microsoft Security Essentials installed. This has not yet been confirmed so we have updated the story to reflect that information. Microsoft did state in October that it "will not guarantee updates" for the program after April 8th. We have emailed Microsoft to get a definitive statement on this matter.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
For me Xp was better OS of the Microsoft because are stable, reliable and durable.
I think 7 approached its performance of the xp, but the 8 it´s not good.
8.1 are a great surprise because improved than 8.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It was very hard for me to move from XP to Windows 7.I agree XP is a great OS but it's time is drawing near and most should consider making the move.I understand Microsoft's position on XP support(MSE included) and they do have valid points from a Security standpoint.

Windows 8 was a huge change for many,myself included,but the OS is keeping in sync with technology and Security.Personally I think the 8.1 update was good for the OS and it just takes a little time to become acquainted with it.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
The 8.1 has improved substantially in the boot OS (the fastest and lightest), the mosaics feature in more sizes updating them online at the main menu. You can always customize this menu by sending the mosaics of no interest to the secondary menu. The 8.1 update the drives and have a virtual disc mount and it´s easy unninstal programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.