Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Blog post: Surfshark upgrades privacy protection beyond a VPN - Surfshark

We're happy to announce our plans to elevate privacy protection beyond the ordinary VPN functionality. By mid-June 2019, we're set to launch two new products: HackLock™ ID protection, which will work as an automatic mechanism to detect traces of hacked personal information online, and a private search tool BlindSearch™.
  1. ID protection service HackLock™. In its first public version, HackLock™ will operate as a breach detection mechanism to alert Surfshark users about leaks of their private information such as email and passwords, prompting them to take the necessary security measures.
  2. Private search tool named BlindSearch™. It will enable its users to perform web search queries in complete privacy and will not collect any history. Also, there will be no ads in the search so the users will only see purely organic results.
Homepage: Surfshark: Secure Your Digital Life

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Interesting: On the site it does say - 'On the launch day, both new tools will become available to new and existing Surfshark users in a bundled offer'... I wonder if that's an added charge? The last time I used SS (I have a licence) I kept the same IP, I really wish they would change that, & for me it's not the most stable VPN I have used, along with connection issues I have never had with AIR, Express & PerfectPrivacy for example - As for 'Blind Search' I really thought that's achievable anyway with little intuition.. Still interesting though.

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
I've tried surfshark before. I didn't use their app to set it up and set it up manually. When you login to thier servers if you look at the log there's all sorts of errors and warnings that come up about bad security configurations. Most people don't see that because the app does all this in the backround and never shows you the log, but that made me doubt how well they we're really securing thier service. I stopped using them shortly after. The other thing that turned me off about them is when I was checking my IP adress to make sure everything was working. I found that all thier IP's are apparently blacklisted as VPN servers.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I've tried surfshark before. I didn't use their app to set it up and set it up manually. When you login to thier servers if you look at the log there's all sorts of errors and warnings that come up about bad security configurations. Most people don't see that because the app does all this in the backround and never shows you the log, but that made me doubt how well they we're really securing thier service. I stopped using them shortly after. The other thing that turned me off about them is when I was checking my IP adress to make sure everything was working. I found that all thier IP's are apparently blacklisted as VPN servers.
Sad... =[

I've heard good things about them. Maybe you could enter in contact with them and let us know about their answer

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Surfshark is a good VPN according to PCMag
Well if PCMag recommends it, it must be terrible. While I was only joking about that, PCMag is not a reliable source of reviews.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Well if PCMag recommends it, it must be terrible. While I was only joking about that, PCMag is not a reliable source of reviews.
indeed. the only benefits to be reviewed by PCmag is its coverage, not its quality.
I remember the idiot and biased Rubenking reviewing Spyshelter and comodo (both HIPS) and complained they have too many alert's popups and it is annoying LOL.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
@Umbra I remember quite some years ago when they reviewed a number of antiviruses. If you read the reviews, NOD32 was very clearly the best scoring antivirus. However, they gave the top award to Norton, who just happened to be a paid advertiser.
And.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
They like ExpressVPN are based in the British Virgin Isles - Though I have to say there aren't many British Virgins about :):):):)

• HaHa
Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.