Advice Request Suspicious link on Instagram bio

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AdamBull

Thread author
Apr 10, 2023
Quick question, I am a super paranoid person so maybe it will sound pretty stupid. I am asking here specificaly for Android phones, through Intagram app in my case.
So a profile followed me on instagram and just out of curiosity with my android phone I clicked on the link that was on the bio of this profile. I am 99% that the profile is fake. So when I clicked on the link, it redirected me to this website and I got a "website doesn't exist". I closed it immidiately. I know that some hackers use websites that if you just visit you can get hacked.
So my question, can I get hacked this way ? Or it could be just a lucky stupid move by me and it really was just a fake link ?
I ran also a paid antivirus and no malware was found. Like I said maybe it's a silly question as I am super paranoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Clicking on suspicious links can be dangerous.

As Android has a bad track record when it comes to security updates on older devices, it's safer to not click on random links as you could potentially get malware through an exploit, or tricked into passing over sensitive data through phishing scams.

If you think you may be infected, please visit Mobile Malware Removal Help & Support

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Iframe infections only work on a computer and if the site exploits a known vulnerability.
On an Android, I've never seen this because it will instead ask you to download an infected .APK file.

So no risk for your mobile.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I think you are fine. I doubt you were targeted by a 1-click zero-day exploit. If you where I wouldn't be using Instagram or let alone a mobile 🤖.

Honestly, I think you are fine unless you have an Android phone many years old. Worst case scenario your device was somehow fingerprinted from the link you clicked but most likely not! You are probably safe, but you learnt a good lesson NEVER click on random links on social media. :cool:

AdamBull

Thread author
Apr 10, 2023
Yeah, watch out for questionable ladies on IG with 0 following and followers, telling you to meet in perosn on their bio link.
It looked like a legit profile with more followers than folowing and actually one of my friends was also following it. And maybe it actually is real but with a strange/fake link in the bio. That's why I assume it's fake.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.