Svoll's Security Configuration 30/11/2016

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for all the replies, No AV because i have read a lot of Tavis Ormandy's Project Zero documents for a college project and he seems to breaking them down. I really wanted to experiment without realtime AV and tried out ZAL. I do use virustotal if i download anything in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Zemana AntiMalware is incorporated into Zemana AntiLogger Premium version 2.0. Which version are you using?

Windows Defender can be enabled to run alongside Zemana, if you wish, on the Anniversary Update you can enable Limited Periodic Scanning.

Recommend to re-enable UAC, on default settings.

What caused your last Malware Infection, and what security software did you use at the time?

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Using ZAL Version 2.60.2.1,
@Spawn WIll set UAC to default settings and have WinDefender run on limited scanning.

Last malware was a keylogger, reformated my HD after I noticed and changed all my passwords. Was using Eset security suite 9 at the time. That's when i researched malware and found this site.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi Svoll! :) Aforementioned, i'd enable UAC for a first security line. Now, there has been some controversy always wether AV is necessary or not, and it's efectiveness. Personally, i'd recommend a light easy to use antivirus if you don't want too much trouble. Now, if you don't like antivirus you can always enable UAC and protect yourself with some anti executer and process watcher like VoodooShield, but don't expect real time protection. Peace :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You have 3rd party Firewall but no Firewall mentioned in real time protection and ZAL does not provide one.
I would enable UAC & SmartScreen , Defender and Windows Firewall.
Your lightest option would be Windows 10 built in security with the 4 items above enabled and you can still run ZAL in real time.
Consider an additional on demand scanner such as Hitman Pro,Emsisoft Emergency Kit or ESET Online Scanner.
Consider CCleaner or Privazer for a privacy & optimization option.
Please edit your config with any changes you have made since posting your config.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Figure out how to edit my config.

Anyhow, i do have Comodo Firewall, since my eset license is good for another 3 months, i will install that for piece of mind. Thanks All! you have all be so awesome and helpful, wish i knew about this site earlier. The knowledge, help, and guidance i have gain in a day here is massive.

Thanks everyone for such great tips and advice!

Last edited:

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I only suggest you please enable windows smartscreen, everything else with the mofications you've done is fine.
Thanks for sharing your config. :)

Reactions: Svoll and XIII

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.