Swathiravi's Security Config

Swathiravi

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2016
Hello to All. , Am not a Computer Expert . Presently having MalwareBytes AnitMalware Free .Installed Norton Symantec 90 Days Promo Trial Pack . Pls suggest me the Best Full security software free . . How is Zemana Anti Malware ? Any Free GiveAways of security softwares with good rating and ease of use . Would like to try it for a few months . How good is K7 total security 2016 . Any suggestion to improve is welcome with details to understand it better . Please also suggest Regarding LINUX Based OS . , like Linux Mint .But should be easy to use like Windows . Is PassWord Manager Must ?. , as i do online Net transactions for Bill Payments and purchases .
waiting to hear from you all .

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
After you have added an Anti-virus,
you should try Crystal Security :)

"Anti-Malware
Crystal Security is an easy to use application that was created in order to help you quickly detect and remove malware that might affect your computer.
Cloud Based
The cloud based Crystal Security gathers data from millions of participating users systems around the world to help defend you from the very latest viruses and malware attacks.
Freeware
Cloud based malware detection, easy to use, user-friendly interface, automatic/manual updates, no installations, supports multiple languages and many other features."

A

Alkajak

Popular (free) real-time protection:

Avast
Great product, just introduced a new version with new technology. Haven't heard reception about the new Nitro update, but the product was already amazing before, I'm assuming it is even more amazing now. With Hardened mode enabled, this should secure you incredibly.

Avira
Strong product as well. Much like Avast, but in my opinion contains more false positives and is heavier on the system.

Comodo
Anything by Comodo is good as well. This requires a bit more knowledge in security/tweaking and can be turned into the best product of these 3, but it will take knowledge and effort on your part.

Popular (free) anti-malware protection:

Zemana AntiMalware
Great detections. Noticed a lot more false positives recently, but still great for scanning if you know what to choose to remove.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Good detections. Very strong in PUP detection.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Good detections. Very strong corrupted/infected registry/autorun/Temp detection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Many mentioned 3rd party programs so it is up to you which will be prefer choice.

Remember that use AV as your protection in all around and don't take very much on the influence of sample test

Have a system image backup which the built in Windows is fine for you.

Reactions: AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
You have a long way to go. Choose a internet security suite instead of just an antivirus for a firewall and malicious website protection.Malwarebytes should be enough for anti-malware.
I'm Indian as well and trust me, K7 is no good with foreign malwares. It has a really poor detection rate. Even windows defender is a better choice over K7.

Swathiravi

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2016
@Swathiravi Mod Edit Notes: Username in title.

You need real-time security protection, pronto.

Please fill in the forms with accurate information, you already use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as an on-demand scanner.

Find external promotions, discounts and our own Giveaways at: Giveaways and Promotions | malwaretips.com
Hello Sir,
Pardon me for the Improper informations . As it is all new to me , am not clear on the filling up the informations . By looking into some of the members Config , am trying to learn what is being asked . Just give me some time , I shall Rectify it . Bear with me till then .

Reactions: DardiM

Swathiravi

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2016
@Swathiravi Mod Edit Notes: Username in title.

You need real-time security protection, pronto.

Please fill in the forms with accurate information, you already use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as an on-demand scanner.

Find external promotions, discounts and our own Giveaways at: Giveaways and Promotions | malwaretips.com
Hello Sir,
Pardon me for the Improper informations . As it is all new to me , am not clear on the filling up the informations . By looking into some of the members Config , am trying to learn what is being asked . Just give me some time , I shall Rectify it . Bear with me till then .
Hello Hurracan,
Is there a Tutorial to know what and how exactly to fill in the forms , as am seeing these for the first time .The following needs help from you to fill -1) OS File Reputation: 2) Type of User Account:- difference bet ween Local accntAnd Microsoft Account 3) How often do you perform a System Image Backup - purpose of system Back up and how do i do it .? Can i request you to clarify and guide me to fill in with accurate informations . And is there a edit mode to correct my Already submitted Config . I shall be thankful to learn .

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Follow the guide posted by @Jack [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread!

There are a mix between mandatory and optional fields that can be filled in.

OS File Reputation:
On Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Windows Smartscreen protects users system-wide, whereas before it was limited to Internet Explorer (Windows 7 and prior). Likewise for Mac OS X and Gatekeeper.
Type of User Account:
A Microsoft Account are the credentials you to login to your Outlook.com (including Hotmail/MSN/Windows Live) account. There are benefits to using a Microsoft Account on Windows 8 or later, such as Sync'd settings, themes and purchases. Windows Store requires a Microsoft Account.
A Local Account is offline account for the PC.

[How-To] backup your system with Windows 8.1 built-in backup tool
How To Create a System Image on Windows 8.1 Update 1

Swathiravi

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2016
with Vrb3 ,active Member's guidance ,have chosen the below config for the present .
1)Norton Symantec 90 Days Promo Trial pack -( Actually he suggested Avast Anti VirusFree , But Had installed Norton for immediate use by then )
2) Windows fire wall -as Primary FireWall . -He suggested not have 2 FireWalls at the same time and to try another one PrivateFirewall or Binisoft WFC Free, that improves windows in-built firewall. Do a search on the forum and see what other users think about them.
3) MalwareBytesAntiMalware Free - Primary and Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free as second line Opinion scanner.He also said VooDoo shield Free , but not sure if i have to install now OR later.
4) Have installed Malware Bytes Anti Exploit Free also
5) Added U Block origin with his suggestion as Ad Blocker . Earlier i had ABP, Ad blocker ultimate chosen from the Add On's .
Since am not a computer expert , he wanted me to go slow and to take help from All Fellow Members also . And for the time being Vrb3 says the present config is Fine .
So Please let me know your opinions also , which i will be expecting eagerly !!.
*** -Actually I also wanted to get information's on Linux OS also .I have Dual Core Desktop . 6 Yrs back I was asked to try Linux mint . But somehow i was not finding the same Easiness of Windows . I could not Download any software as i do in Windows and then install it . In Linux i had to go through a different process , which i could not understand and did not find People like you all to help me then and so stopped it .. I would very much like to Try again with step by step method help in using it's different functions . . Is there any youtube / Tutorial available .

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Linux is indeed difficult for any first time users around but once you explore through the controls, then you will be benefit from security, performance and reliability compare to Windows.

You will encounter Wine Emulator which you can run Windows based programs in Linux but limited support since not all application can run in Linux.

Swathiravi

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 14, 2016
Follow the guide posted by @Jack [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread!

There are a mix between mandatory and optional fields that can be filled in.

OS File Reputation:
On Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Windows Smartscreen protects users system-wide, whereas before it was limited to Internet Explorer (Windows 7 and prior). Likewise for Mac OS X and Gatekeeper.
Type of User Account:
A Microsoft Account are the credentials you to login to your Outlook.com (including Hotmail/MSN/Windows Live) account. There are benefits to using a Microsoft Account on Windows 8 or later, such as Sync'd settings, themes and purchases. Windows Store requires a Microsoft Account.
A Local Account is offline account for the PC.

[How-To] backup your system with Windows 8.1 built-in backup tool
How To Create a System Image on Windows 8.1 Update 1
Thank you Huracan and @Jack for your guidance . Am happy it has served many of our members .

Reactions: Ink and DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.