swftech Config

D

Deleted member 178

nice config, you can add:

- EMET 2.1 (it will harden your softwares) : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5419
- WOT, Browser Protect, Last Pass, Ghostery and No Script for FF5.
- you should use a back up software (if you dont have) like Paragon Back-up and Rrecovery free or Easeus Todo Backup free
- Comodo Cleaning Essential (not absolutly necessary but very effective if you are ever infected)

swftech

Thread author
Jun 20, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
nice config, you can add:

- EMET 2.1 (it will harden your softwares) : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5419
- WOT, Browser Protect, Last Pass, Ghostery and No Script for FF5.
- you should use a back up software (if you dont have) like Paragon Back-up and Rrecovery free or Easeus Todo Backup free
- Comodo Cleaning Essential (not absolutly necessary but very effective if you are ever infected)

Thanks I will check out EMET 2.1. As far as the rest I just didn't go into full detail about my add-ons. I use AdblockPlus with easylist sub, noscript, Ghostery and WOT in Firefox 5.

AdblockPlus and Disconnect in ChromePlus and SRWare Iron.

For backups I use Acronis True Image, EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 Home Edition and IDrive, as well as Synkron and Dropbox for sync. And I have a terabyte Seagate Desk as external.

Other notable soft I use...

Ccleaner, Peerblock, Partition Assistant Home "for partitioning", Secunia PSI and File Hippo for update checking, Virtual Box, Auslogics registry cleaner, Auslogics Disk defrag and Quicksys RegDefrag, Process Explorer, Public DNS tool for switching dns servers to Norton if I need to. and you know by now I like screenshots...lol, so here is a screen of my clean up folder.
mED3O.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Great config, aside from umbrapolaris suggestion, your all set. :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection: Comodo IS, Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro, Spyware Blaster
Their is no real need for so much real-time security , as you know CIS comes with a pretty powerful HIPS (D+) which can prevent any malware from installing on your system.If you are the "paranoid" type I would suggest to remove MBAM and insted tweak COMODO Defense+ for maximum security.

One thing that would really improve your security would be Sandboxie.

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Umbrapolaris suggested that you use EMET so to configure it you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
I would suggest to remove MBAM and insted tweak COMODO Defense+ for maximum security.

you means disable the real-time protection ^^

+1 for sandboxie

Mark

Apr 22, 2011
With SRWare Iron, you might prefer to use the in-built adblocker. Adblocking extensions for Chromium based browsers only hide the ads while SRWare Iron's adblocker blocks them. Only Fanboy's list is maintained for it (as far as I know) and you can only update it manually.

Place adblock.ini in the SRWare Iron directory (Windows) or /opt (Linux, MacOS).

swftech

Thread author
Jun 20, 2011
Jack said:
Real-time protection: Comodo IS, Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro, Spyware Blaster
Their is no real need for so much real-time security , as you know CIS comes with a pretty powerful HIPS (D+) which can prevent any malware from installing on your system.If you are the "paranoid" type I would suggest to remove MBAM and insted tweak COMODO Defense+ for maximum security.

One thing that would really improve your security would be Sandboxie.

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Umbrapolaris suggested that you use EMET so to configure it you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Thanks for your suggestions Jack. I used sandboxie a couple of years ago and didn't like it much, but I haven't given it another shot since. I really liked Returnil for a while also, but kept forgetting to allow my changes before reboot for the files I downloaded and wanted to keep, and hence lost them and had to re-download so it just became a pain. With Comodo's sandbox feature, and using Virtualbox when i'm doing something that could be harmful like when testing software. Do you really think I still need something like sandboxie?

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I don't think this is very much essential, but if you want to be sure of the files you run, I would recommend VirusTotal's Uploader (VTUploader).
http://www.virustotal.com/advanced (under VTUploader)

Besides this, nice configuration.

swftech

Thread author
Jun 20, 2011
endejan said:
I don't think this is very much essential, but if you want to be sure of the files you run, I would recommend VirusTotal's Uploader (VTUploader).
http://www.virustotal.com/advanced (under VTUploader)

Besides this, nice configuration.

Thanks, I use Virus total 2.0, it's in my screenshot.

D

Deleted member 178

honestly? no ^^ you have a backup image, and even using Vbox so not really needed

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
swftech said:
With Comodo's sandbox feature, and using Virtualbox when i'm doing something that could be harmful like when testing software. Do you really think I still need something like sandboxie?

As far as I know COMODO doesn't have an on-demand Sandbox in which you can run your browser.As for Virtual Box...well that's a virtual system. :)
Sandboxie is easy to use and will allow you to quickly run in a virtual environment any application or your browser.I would suggest to always run your browser in the sandbox mode but if you don't like it ,you can at least use it when your doing some dangerous surfing. :)

Another virtualization option would be BufferZone Pro.

BufferZone Pro (Free) - link
BufferZone creates an isolated environment called the Virtual Zone. The Virtual Zone "buffers" your PC from all forms of known or unknown attacks that originate from the Internet and external devices. All of your private information is secured in a trusted and separated environment.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
As far as I know COMODO doesn't have an on-demand Sandbox in which you can run your browser.

Comodo actually has two sandboxes. I wish they would do more to make this fact more readily apparent.

The automatic sandbox is a limited access rights type sandbox, (similar to Chrome's sandbox technique) not full virtualization. However, version 6 is promised to support full virtualization in the auto-sandbox.

The manual sandbox however, is a fully virtualized environment. You can choose to manually start an application in the sandbox, or permanently sandbox an application.

The manual sandbox is still young, so it isn't very user friendly. For this reason, I still use Sandboxie.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.