Battle SwiftKey vs Gboard - Which Keyboard for Android?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Both keyboards are identical because they both come from Google. So it doesn't matter what you take.
I use the standard keyboard of Android 4 with spell checking disabled. I chose it with intention, because it is integrated right away and has no unnecessary additional functions. I like it.

Reactions: Weebarra

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
Both keyboards are identical because they both come from Google.
I believe SwiftKey is a subsidiary of Microsoft and Gboard is Google's. Their differences are quite noticeable after you try both. In my opinion, SwiftKey is better, especially in terms of predictions and general functionality. It is eerily accurate. Personally though, I use Fleksy.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've been using SwiftKey for a few years. However, I uninstalled it a few weeks ago, due to very high battery usage. I have no idea if the battery usage was an ongoing issue, or just a once off glitch. But, I woke up one morning, and the battery has drained quite a bit overnight and SwiftKey was the cause.

I'm trying Gboard, for the first time.

It's worth noting, that in the past, there have been major privacy issues with SwiftKey, as detailed in the linked article.
Android Keyboard Showdown: SwiftKey vs. Swype vs. Google vs. TouchPal vs. Fleksy « Android :: Gadget Hacks

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Reactions: Weebarra and Paul.R

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
We can add here:

Watson - AI - IBM (Watson AI is named after first IBM CEO)
Apple - AI - Perception - behind FaceID, etc
And mant more, but i don't know all of them :)

Reactions: harlan4096

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Gboard on android and Swiftkey on iOS. Actually, tried Gboard on iOS and it was mistyping words whilst flick write and MSFT's app predicted everything right.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I go for Swiftkey(you can write with 2 language or more same time, on Gboard you can't do that, you need to select them) on Android but on iOS the default is the best
I like that two language thing. Please explain how to do it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You have english(for exemple) as default, add chinese for exemple and thats it. Swiftkey will be able to write in what language you want.
Ah, I think you are talking about writing in two languages with the same basic character set, such as English and Spanish.
But if you want to type in French and Arabic, for instance, you will have to manually change between keyboard layouts, like in Gboard. Correct?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
From what i know, SwiftKey allows you to use up to 5 languages simultaneously.
They say on blog.swiftkey.com that you can do 3 languages at the same time, and if they have different character sets:
"As long as one of the languages installed has a different layout than the other, you can just swipe the spacebar to switch to the different layouts. "
SwiftKey Keyboard tips and tricks - different languages
So if your languages use different characters, i.e., you are switching between latin characters and hebrew characters (like I do), then Swiftkey probably doesn't have an advantage over Gboard. With Gboard, you tap a globe key to switch layouts. The globe key appears on the keyboard when you have two or more layouts enabled.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.