Bitdefender Total Security
Kaspersky Total Security

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I'm currently using ESET with a 5 device license, is it worth keeping it or moving to Bitdefender or Kaspersky? I manage the security for my household, two Windows devices and three phones. Web filtering and antispam are big pluses as well as the ability for me to be able to check the status of devices in real-time (Bitdefender Central sort of thing). Online banking is frequently done on both a Windows laptop and an Android phone, any sort of banking protection on Android, if that is even a thing, is a massive plus.

I'm going to replace my current Android phone with an iPhone and Bitdefender have a security app for anti-theft and the Bitdefender Central app so it's what I'm leaning towards, is there any reasons why I should or shouldn't switch to the solutions mentioned?

Price isn't the biggest factor, but Bitdefender Total Security for 5 devices would end up being the cheapest too.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I guess the main question is, has Eset given you any reason to switch?;)

I haven't used Kaspersky nor Bitdefender in a long time so I cannot provide an accurate answer on those two. When I did use them, Kaspersky was having auto update issues for me, but that was a while ago, so I am assuming that has been sorted out by now. As side from that I didn't have any other issues and it's protection is top notch.

Bitdefender and I didn't get along very much. While it's protection is very good, I've always had performance issues like slow boot times and annoying bugs here and there. Whether this has been improved on I don't know. I do know their customer support leave little to be desired IMHO.

I have used Eset fairly recently and it's a very good program. It's light and has very good protection. Default it's pretty good, but you can make it even strong if you so choose by using HIPS and such.

At the end of the day, personally all 3 will give you very good protection. I really do not think you can go wrong with either one. They all have mobile versions and they all seem to be rated fairly well. IMHO the only way to know for sure is to test drive each one and decide for yourself. IMHO unless Eset has given you any reason to switch, I would just stick with it and maybe look into the other ones once your licence is up for renewal.(y)

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I guess the main question is, has Eset given you any reason to switch?;)

I haven't used Kaspersky nor Bitdefender in a long time so I cannot provide an accurate answer on those two. When I did use them, Kaspersky was having auto update issues for me, but that was a while ago, so I am assuming that has been sorted out by now. As side from that I didn't have any other issues and it's protection is top notch.

Bitdefender and I didn't get along very much. While it's protection is very good, I've always had performance issues like slow boot times and annoying bugs here and there. Whether this has been improved on I don't know. I do know their customer support leave little to be desired IMHO.

I have used Eset fairly recently and it's a very good program. It's light and has very good protection. Default it's pretty good, but you can make it even strong if you so choose by using HIPS and such.

At the end of the day, personally all 3 will give you very good protection. I really do not think you can go wrong with either one. They all have mobile versions and they all seem to be rated fairly well. IMHO the only way to know for sure is to test drive each one and decide for yourself. IMHO unless Eset has given you any reason to switch, I would just stick with it and maybe look into the other ones once your licence is up for renewal.(y)
ESET hasn't given me any problems, and its lightness is superb, but MyESET is lacking, if I want to check the status of a device or change any settings I have to do it manually - all I can see is that my 5 licenses are used up. No app, no real-time notifications, etc.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

My license runs out in about a month which is why I'm asking now, and Bitdefender would be the cheapest. ESET and Kaspersky would both be more expensive and the same price.

In that case, I would personally take advantage of the trial periods for Kaspersky and Bitdefender since you have been using Eset and compare all 3. As I've already said, protection wise all 3 will be very good, it will really come down to things like, do you like their performance, UI, settings, etc..., but you won't know that until you try them out. ;)(y)

ESET hasn't given me any problems, and its lightness is superb, but MyESET is lacking, if I want to check the status of a device or change any settings I have to do it manually - all I can see is that my 5 licenses are used up. No app, no real-time notifications, etc.

Sorry just saw your reply.

In terms of centralized management, there aren't too many that will do that on the consumer front from what I know. Again I haven't played around with Bitdefender nor Kaspersky in a while, so I am not sure if they have that ability. The only one that I know that has that type of feature right now is Sophos Home Premium, which I use and love. It's built in to the cloud and you can manage all your computers. It doesn't do mobile however, but they do have a free version for Android that is pretty good. Emsisoft is also working on such a feature and will be released soon, but again it will only be for PCs, no mobile integration at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In terms of centralized management, there aren't too many that will do that on the consumer front from what I know.

Yes, Sophos and Cylance (not suggesting you go there :LOL:).

I agree with several posters above that if Eset suits your needs, stick with it. (y) Or you can use trials of K and BD. I used BD Free and it was buggy for me, but every machine is unique, but I'd hope the paid version is much better.

Or, I have a Trend Micro Maximum Security 1 year key you are more than welcome to.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
For my PC there are about 4 that fit my desire for speed.
Panda Dome Complete,
Kaspersky IS,
Thor Premium,
Eset with Thor Foresight, and
Norton Suite

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Well, I could be the guy saying you don't have to pay for security software to be protected, but I won't since I understand a suite gives the user more commodity and that's what you're asking for.
The answer is very simple - all three are very good options, you should try BD and KS for some days and compare it to ESET in terms of lightness, device management etc and then make your decision.

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
Hi,
In my mind, ESET is good but realtime is very poor
Bitdefender database is awesome but interface is hanging and have many bugs!
Kaspersky is best but Russian made!!! poor privacy but best realtime, best database and best performance
so my choose is Kaspersky!

but

if you need more protection and more privacy, use G Data

Best regards.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
bitdefender internet security has less bloatware than total security. it should be less heavy. IMHO.
I'd need Total because of the mobile devices I have too unfortunately.

People mentioning Bitdefender is buggy, what kind of bugs are there? It still looks like the best solution as it's cheaper and has Bitdefender Central. ESET has around 40 days left so there's no rush for me to decide. Thanks for your input everybody.

Reactions: oldschool

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
I'd need Total because of the mobile devices I have too unfortunately.

People mentioning Bitdefender is buggy, what kind of bugs are there? It still looks like the best solution as it's cheaper and has Bitdefender Central. ESET has around 40 days left so there's no rush for me to decide. Thanks for your input everybody.
Bitdefender free is light on my PC. BD total security is heavy on my PC. :giggle:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.