Bitdefender Total Security
Kaspersky Total Security

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I'm currently using ESET with a 5 device license, is it worth keeping it or moving to Bitdefender or Kaspersky? I manage the security for my household, two Windows devices and three phones. Web filtering and antispam are big pluses as well as the ability for me to be able to check the status of devices in real-time (Bitdefender Central sort of thing). Online banking is frequently done on both a Windows laptop and an Android phone, any sort of banking protection on Android, if that is even a thing, is a massive plus.

I'm going to replace my current Android phone with an iPhone and Bitdefender have a security app for anti-theft and the Bitdefender Central app so it's what I'm leaning towards, is there any reasons why I should or shouldn't switch to the solutions mentioned?

Price isn't the biggest factor, but Bitdefender Total Security for 5 devices would end up being the cheapest too.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Trying Bitdefender right now, few cosmetic bugs but performance seems similar to ESET. RAM usage is high but it's 2019 so that doesn't bother me.

Semetery

Jan 26, 2016
I'm not sure if you're still looking for advice but alas...

I've gone between all 3 in the past year and really like them all (aside from the Kaspersky controversy I guess?). I have favored Eset in the past as I really feel like it does a great job but it's expensive. I've been using the latest Bitdefender for months and it has been fantastic for me. I set it up like I wanted it and I only get alerts when something tries to access the internet or it detects something. Absolutely nothing otherwise and it doesn't slow down my system or cause any problems, just doing it's thing in the background while I do mine. Doesn't get problematic with my local sharing which did happen off and on with others along the way for no great reason that I could find.

The price is great too, hard to argue with it unless it has some adverse effect on your personal system (which I doubt). But, if you've been happy with Eset, it's great!

• +Reputation
Reactions: Brie

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
I guess the main question is, has Eset given you any reason to switch?;)

I haven't used Kaspersky nor Bitdefender in a long time so I cannot provide an accurate answer on those two. When I did use them, Kaspersky was having auto update issues for me, but that was a while ago, so I am assuming that has been sorted out by now. As side from that I didn't have any other issues and it's protection is top notch.

Bitdefender and I didn't get along very much. While it's protection is very good, I've always had performance issues like slow boot times and annoying bugs here and there. Whether this has been improved on I don't know. I do know their customer support leave little to be desired IMHO.

I have used Eset fairly recently and it's a very good program. It's light and has very good protection. Default it's pretty good, but you can make it even strong if you so choose by using HIPS and such.

At the end of the day, personally all 3 will give you very good protection. I really do not think you can go wrong with either one. They all have mobile versions and they all seem to be rated fairly well. IMHO the only way to know for sure is to test drive each one and decide for yourself. IMHO unless Eset has given you any reason to switch, I would just stick with it and maybe look into the other ones once your licence is up for renewal.(y)
Eset is poor vs zero day

Reactions: AYIZEB
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Eset is poor vs zero day

All products aren't perfect and will have their strengths and weaknessess, nothing is perfect. Personally I feel like there is too much stress put into worrying about zero day's for home users. The chances of a home user running into a true zero day piece of malware and by true I mean less than an hour or so, is very small. Not that it could never happen, but IMO home users really shouldn't stress about it too much. I'm not making excuses for Eset, but I don't think it's really that much of an issue. If you want more protection than the default configuration gives you, tweak it and take advantage of things like HIPS and you can pretty much lock down a system.

One might also argue that against a true zero day piece of malware (even throw scripting malware in there), most products will have a difficult time as it is. No product can protect you 100% and quite frankly despite the flack that Eset seems to constantly get, it still seems to be doing it's job, as there aren't reports of mass infections with people using Eset. I guess they must be doing something right. (y);)

Reactions: Dex4Sure

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
All products aren't perfect and will have their strengths and weaknessess, nothing is perfect. Personally I feel like there is too much stress put into worrying about zero day's for home users. The chances of a home user running into a true zero day piece of malware and by true I mean less than an hour or so, is very small. Not that it could never happen, but IMO home users really shouldn't stress about it too much. I'm not making excuses for Eset, but I don't think it's really that much of an issue. If you want more protection than the default configuration gives you, tweak it and take advantage of things like HIPS and you can pretty much lock down a system.

One might also argue that against a true zero day piece of malware (even throw scripting malware in there), most products will have a difficult time as it is. No product can protect you 100% and quite frankly despite the flack that Eset seems to constantly get, it still seems to be doing it's job, as there aren't reports of mass infections with people using Eset. I guess they must be doing something right. (y);)

In fact, getting infected with a zero malware is quite easy and especially as the malware has evolved lately. What you say are excuses. While it is true that there is no product that protects 100%, if there are better solutions in the market than Eset, such as Kaspersky, Norton and Bitdefender. Every time there are more ransomwares that are created every day therefore if the probability of getting infected is high.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

In fact, getting infected with a zero malware is quite easy and especially as the malware has evolved lately. What you say are excuses. While it is true that there is no product that protects 100%, if there are better solutions in the market than Eset, such as Kaspersky, Norton and Bitdefender. Every time there are more ransomwares that are created every day therefore if the probability of getting infected is high.
Im not making excuses, just simply stating my point of view. Fact remains that Eset is still a very capable product and is still doing it's job quite well. Case in point, the OP of this thread was very happy with Eset and remained malware free, so I'll just reaffirm my position that unless the OP has had an issue with Eset, than I see no reason to switch if he's happy. I really don't think he will be any less secure by using Eset.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Either switch to Kaspersky or stay with ESET. My choice would be to switch to Kaspersky. Or even better, switch to ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. It runs on the Kaspersky antivirus engine and ZoneAlarm's firewall is known for being one of the best. And they have a promotion where you can get 5 licenses for $36.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.